Future of the Eflex line? + My Idea

Max27

With Lefevre apparently going solo, will the extremely popular Eflex series get the same revamp the Axis gives to the Premier?

I think if the Axis and Eflex are made by the same people, we will see the Eflex turn into a Vapor style pad, where its very stiff. Could this lead to pro goalies in Eflex going to another soft faced line like Velocities or G-Netik? Or with the trend of going stiffer and stiffer with pads, could we see all hybrid style pads fazed out? Just a thought I had. If I was running CCM I wouldve had Lefevre continue to design the Eflex lineage as the soft, traditional line and keep having whoever is currently making the Axis to let them keep the Axis as a stiff, innovative, technology advanced line. With how popular the Eflex line is I think it would be a TERRIBLE move on CCMs behalf to change up the Eflex though.

2 minutes ago, Max27 said:

With Lefevre apparently going solo, will the extremely popular Eflex series get the same revamp the Axis gives to the Premier?

I think if the Axis and Eflex are made by the same people, we will see the Eflex turn into a Vapor style pad, where its very stiff. Could this lead to pro goalies in Eflex going to another soft faced line like Velocities or G-Netik? Or with the trend of going stiffer and stiffer with pads, could we see all hybrid style pads fazed out? Just a thought I had. If I was running CCM I wouldve had Lefevre continue to design the Eflex lineage as the soft, traditional line and keep having whoever is currently making the Axis to let them keep the Axis as a stiff, innovative, technology advanced line. With how popular the Eflex line is I think it would be a TERRIBLE move on CCMs behalf to change up the Eflex though.

Nothing will change without the stamp of Price.  That's his line... With it being the best selling pad at retail I wouldn't anticipate any sweeping changes

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Nothing will change without the stamp of Price.  That's his line... With it being the best selling pad at retail I wouldn't anticipate any sweeping changes

2021 CCM I’m sure will get some Axis features incorporated, but can confirm its going to be an evolution of their winning formula and not a complete makeover 

1 hour ago, Telfo said:

they can just leave the eflex line as is if they would just use primo/quickslide on the sliding surface.

That material is proprietary to Brians... Because Mike Vaughn has a stake in Brians he is able to offer it thru Vaughn.

Jenpro or Weave is far superior to speedskin  

4 hours ago, Telfo said:

they can just leave the eflex line as is if they would just use primo/quickslide on the sliding surface.

If only!  Like cwarnar siad, it's not going to happen but you'd think a company like CCM could come up with something to replace Speedskin.  I'm sure they don't want to given all the R/D dollars they spent but the fact that Axis IS launching with Speedskin instead of a replacement is very disappointing. 

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

That material is proprietary to Brians... Because Mike Vaughn has a stake in Brians he is able to offer it thru Vaughn.

Cwarmar in what respect are the two other products better than speedskin ?

My son’s premiers are 100 % speedskin - there are no wear issues, not sure about slide-ability but no pre mature wearing and his on the ice on average 5 days a week for nearly 9 months a year.

1 minute ago, Big2 said:

Cwarmar in what respect are the two other products better than speedskin ?

My son’s premiers are 100 % speedskin - there are no wear issues, not sure about slide-ability but no pre mature wearing and his on the ice on average 5 days a week for nearly 9 months a year.

Sliding... Which is why Vaughn and Brians don't offer Primo/Quickslide as stock material for color zones (Upcharge only upon request).  Primo/Quickslide is the most consistent sliding material in any ice conditions.

Too many people have been complaining about speedskin "sticking" to the ice when sliding.  Which is why you're not seeing very many, if any, CCM pro goalies using it over jenpro or weave.

Really I certainly can’t comment but will look into this. Not sure what he’ll be wearing next year, he has been asking about Bauer but I told him that there cheap, maybe they perform well but cheap I won’t be forking out the $$ for Bauer’s. if he wants a pair he will have to pay for them !

10 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I don’t believe that’s correct. I think Brian’s called it exclusive because they were the only ones using it, but I don’t believe a contract was signed 

On 12/27/2019 at 2:07 PM, cwarnar said:

Sliding... Which is why Vaughn and Brians don't offer Primo/Quickslide as stock material for color zones (Upcharge only upon request).  Primo/Quickslide is the most consistent sliding material in any ice conditions.

Too many people have been complaining about speedskin "sticking" to the ice when sliding.  Which is why you're not seeing very many, if any, CCM pro goalies using it over jenpro or weave.

Speed Skin is more ice dependent than CorTech or Primo. It works well on great clean ice. If you’re on bad ice or choppy ice, it has a bigger performance loss than the competition. 

I can imagine a high end young goalie like @Big2 ‘s son is usually on a decent sheet and likes it. 

My league rink has an undersized generator and the Midwest humidity is brutal. Speed Skin does work as well in August for me as it does it January 😂

Rinne and Saros use Speed Skin. As I’ve heard the story, Lefebvre and CCM did not see eye to eye on Speed Skin. As a result, it was not stocked by Lefevre in anything but white and not promoted to the pros. 

With CCM owning EF4 and Axis pro production now, I expect this to change. 

So is the “offshore pro dpt” going to be making pads just for the pros or all pro models? I could tell watching the game that Daws had the stitch going up the calf wing and the different knee cradle, something only on the Lefebre made pads. This was my biggest gripe with CCM, and to be honest it is pretty embarrassing how different the Lefebre made pads differed from the pro pads available to consumers. Literally not one CCM item that the pros wear is available to us, custom or otherwise.

10 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Speed Skin is more ice dependent than CorTech or Primo. It works well on great clean ice. If you’re on bad ice or choppy ice, it has a bigger performance loss than the competition. 

I can imagine a high end young goalie like @Big2 ‘s son is usually on a decent sheet and likes it. 

My league rink has an undersized generator and the Midwest humidity is brutal. Speed Skin does work as well in August for me as it does it January 😂

Rinne and Saros use Speed Skin. As I’ve heard the story, Lefebvre and CCM did not see eye to eye on Speed Skin. As a result, it was not stocked by Lefevre in anything but white and not promoted to the pros. 

With CCM owning EF4 and Axis pro production now, I expect this to change. 

TGN thanks for chiming in. I originally went with the speedskin based on your comments last year and looking back we made the right choice !

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Big2 said:

TGN thanks for chiming in. I originally went with the speedskin based on your comments last year and looking back we made the right choice !

Like mine and think people are too harsh on it, it does slide better. I think beer leaguers in particular can be too harsh on it because we probably get the worst ice conditions 

9 hours ago, JDiv said:

So is the “offshore pro dpt” going to be making pads just for the pros or all pro models? I could tell watching the game that Daws had the stitch going up the calf wing and the different knee cradle, something only on the Lefebre made pads. This was my biggest gripe with CCM, and to be honest it is pretty embarrassing how different the Lefebre made pads differed from the pro pads available to consumers. Literally not one CCM item that the pros wear is available to us, custom or otherwise.

I don’t know if people will eventually be switched into 1 exact pad with Axis or EF5 or if CCM will have tweaks between pro and retail like they do now. 

but yes, it’s my understanding there will be a special assembly line in their existing factory to handle the pro gear

thats not to say to the retail stuff is bad, it’s just that there is a different turn around time and probably a couple unique options available and it needs to be managed differently 

Also, I understand there differences in the construction between the pads. Lefebvre builds it a certain way and CCM figures out some tweak to make the pads appear better for retail or easier to produce... 

however the calf lacing bugs  me. Is it longer lasting design? Maybe, hard to tell without going 65 games a season and testing them both... 

but does is improve the pads performance? I haven’t heard a convincing argument yet. I have EF4 and there’s no issues with the seal or performance or stability, so I just think this one is people obsessing over what’s different 

I was always under the impression that the calf lacing was due to how Lefebvre interprets the NHL rules regarding the calf set up. Now that said I don't know why all companies don't have something similar but that is what I was told.

"Calf-wings must be inset one-half inch (1/2'') from the inside five-hole, creating a distinct edge, and attached to the back cover. Calf-wing protectors must be one piece and cannot include wedges (removable or non-removable)."

16 hours ago, JDiv said:

7 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don’t know if people will eventually be switched into 1 exact pad with Axis or EF5 or if CCM will have tweaks between pro and retail like they do now. 

but yes, it’s my understanding there will be a special assembly line in their existing factory to handle the pro gear

thats not to say to the retail stuff is bad, it’s just that there is a different turn around time and probably a couple unique options available and it needs to be managed differently 

Also, I understand there differences in the construction between the pads. Lefebvre builds it a certain way and CCM figures out some tweak to make the pads appear better for retail or easier to produce... 

however the calf lacing bugs  me. Is it longer lasting design? Maybe, hard to tell without going 65 games a season and testing them both... 

but does is improve the pads performance? I haven’t heard a convincing argument yet. I have EF4 and there’s no issues with the seal or performance or stability, so I just think this one is people obsessing over what’s different 

I'm guessing you guys are talking about the white binding that runs between the vertical roll and calf wing on Price's pads, pictured below.  I was told in the past that NHL gear regulations require there to be a defined gap between these two pieces, which is why it is only available at the pro level.

From the official rulebook (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf), bolded emphasis is mine:

"Calf-wing protectors can no longer be attached to the five-hole or the five-hole seam. Calf-wings must be inset one-half inch (1/2'') from the inside five-hole, creating a distinct edge, and attached to the back cover. Calf-wing protectors must be one piece and cannot include wedges (removable or non-removable). Calf-wing protectors may be flat for five and one-half inches (51/2'') before contouring to the shape of the leg. Calf-wing protectors must contour and cannot be visible to the shooter when strapped to the goalkeeper’s leg. Calf-wing protectors may not exceed one inch (1”) in thickness. Calf-wing protector straps must run through or wrap around so the calf protector follows the contour of the goalkeeper’s leg even if the straps are worn loosely. No zippers, Velcro, or Velcro attachments are allowed. "

image.png.4a720f5a59761354d3e0dd512ed4d2c1.png

On 12/28/2019 at 8:50 AM, TheGoalNet said:

ive heard it holds the pad width at the maximum 11 inches width, and if you check brians out they have that lacing on the optik 2 knee block, so its likely same reason brians does it- to hold the calf and knee stack in place better. CCM tends to care more about performance properties for the gear given to the pros from what i can tell 

• 2 years later...
On 10/30/2022 at 8:42 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

Thought I’d revive this now that we’ve seen some of EFlex 6

Don’t think @Max27 is on here anymore but kind of wild he predicted Eflex would turn into something like this. 

2 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Think "Axis 2" and you've pretty much got it.

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not the ankle? 

But, do they only measure 10.5 inches across?

• Like 1