Replacement mask straps

Ken35

Hey all,

My Otny needed new straps as the originals lost the majority of their stretch.  This was mostly because of age.  For Christmas my wife bought me some new straps from Goalieparts and after my last ice time one of them had unraveled pretty bad.  I may be able to make it usable by cutting and burning the ends but they seem much thinner than the originals.

My question is, who makes the best replacement straps? I am completely willing to buy a set and cut them to the proper length.  I just want a set that seem like they will last a good while.  I am holding out hope that these will still last but they do not seem like they will last very long.

Outsider straps, found on Goalieparts.com, are pretty decent.  Its a great design with the slip through tab on one end.  I personally prefer more of a firm elastic to keep the mask in place.  The elastic that Pro's Choice offers is top notch in that regard.  They offer the traditional 5 point harness and a quicksnap harness that is similar in function to the Outsider.  

Hey @SaveByRichter35,

Thank you for the reply.  Yeah I was looking at those but wonder if it would be the same grade of elastic strap.  The Pro's Choice may be an option.

The problem that I will likely always have is the attachment to the backplate.  Pretty much any straps I get will need to be cut and have a small hole to accommodate the attachment to the backplate.

I don't know of too many companies out there making straps in this configuration.

back X1 Pro.png

22 hours ago, Ken35 said:

Hey all,

My Otny needed new straps as the originals lost the majority of their stretch.  This was mostly because of age.  For Christmas my wife bought me some new straps from Goalieparts and after my last ice time one of them had unraveled pretty bad.  I may be able to make it usable by cutting and burning the ends but they seem much thinner than the originals.

My question is, who makes the best replacement straps? I am completely willing to buy a set and cut them to the proper length.  I just want a set that seem like they will last a good while.  I am holding out hope that these will still last but they do not seem like they will last very long.

With the terry cloth, off-white straps, you essentially have three good options to prevent the ends from unraveling:

• Sew over the ends
  • Coat/Dip the ends in 5-minute epoxy
  • Coat/Dip the ends in cyanoacrylate (super glue)

Any of these has worked very well for me over that past 20 years. I prefer epoxy as it is easy to trim the excess material off. Also, wash your mask harness occasionally (by hand) using normal detergent and air drying when finished. It will easily increase the life span of the harness two-fold, if not more.

Burning the ends, by the way, will accomplish little or nothing - the harness material is mostly cotton and latex rubber, neither of which will melt and harden like poly, nylon, etc. 

Edited by dualshowman

58 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

With the terry cloth, off-white straps, you essentially have three good options to prevent the ends from unraveling:

• Sew over the ends
  • Coat/Dip the ends in 5-minute epoxy
  • Coat/Dip the ends in cyanoacrylate (super glue)

Any of these has worked very well for me over that past 20 years. I prefer epoxy as it is easy to trim the excess material off. Also, wash your mask harness occasionally (by hand) using normal detergent and air drying when finished. It will easily increase the life span of the harness two-fold, if not more.

Burning the ends, by the way, will accomplish little or nothing - the harness material is mostly cotton and latex rubber, neither of which will melt and harden like poly, nylon, etc. 

Thank you for that information.  I was not aware that burning the ends would not accomplish anything.

I know Monster Hockey is no more and they were quite the mess....but their Medusa Strap was awesome! I have it on both of my masks and they are amazing. Just shock cord with some simple aluminum anchors so I'm sure you could make some yourselves. 

https://monsterhockeyinc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmedusa-mask-straps

I've been looking for the hardware online but so far no luck. Love them because they never lose their stretch like traditional straps.

1 hour ago, mckinneymagnum said:

I know Monster Hockey is no more and they were quite the mess....but their Medusa Strap was awesome! I have it on both of my masks and they are amazing. Just shock cord with some simple aluminum anchors so I'm sure you could make some yourselves. 

https://monsterhockeyinc.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fmedusa-mask-straps

I've been looking for the hardware online but so far no luck. Love them because they never lose their stretch like traditional straps.

DO NOT ORDER FROM MONSTER... THEY'VE DECLARED BANKRUPTCY AND ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR FRAUD

• 2 years later...

You certainly could. How do you think mask makers end up with holes to accept cages on their lids? Hint: they drill them. :) But if you don't take the utmost care in doing so - you could create weak points/cause damage. But that said - in theory - the backplate shouldn't be an impact zone and therefore that maybe becomes a nonissue to you. But why bother/sweat it when there are other (better (?)) options?

Edited by chile57

3 hours ago, chile57 said:

You certainly could. How do you think mask makers end up with holes to accept cages on their lids? Hint: they drill them. :) But if you don't take the utmost care in doing so - you could create weak points/cause damage. But that said - in theory - the backplate shouldn't be an impact zone and therefore that maybe becomes a nonissue to you. But why bother/sweat it when there are other (better (?)) options?

Thats my concern, creating weak points. I know some people like harness style or whatever these clip ones are better, but I really liked the screw ones especially because I was able to flip them, putting the screws in the front and the snap clips on the backplate so they didn’t come off if I took a hard shot.

6 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I assume nobody would recommend drilling holes to turn the backplate into the screw style strapping like the backplate above? What do the vets think? @Chenner29 @coopaloop1234 @TheGoalNet @seagoal

I don't know what mask you had pictured, but Otny does this stock with some of their masks.

Note you're not drilling and screwing the strap into the shell, you're drilling a hole to accommodate the hardware to secure the straps

31 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I don't know what mask you had pictured, but Otny does this stock with some of their masks.

Note you're not drilling and screwing the strap into the shell, you're drilling a hole to accommodate the hardware to secure the straps

My mask is kustom komposites. The pictures of the backplate with the screw setup is my old otny. I’m just pondering the idea of drilling any holes at all and if its a good idea or not. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/15/2023 at 7:04 PM, Snowman30 said:

Thanks. 

So did Kova copy Bauer or did Bauer copy them? Bauer’s nme straps are the same exact design.