BoA - Smith Vs. Talbot

coopaloop1234

2 hours ago, Naz said:

This is my favourite photo from last night.  Nurse pointing towards Smith and telling Talbot to go!

Pointing.jpg

Especially since Talbot was so willing to jump into the fray with backup. Such a no bullshit move by Nurse. 

"you think you're tough? My goalie is waiting for you, get to it." 

23 minutes ago, Dero said:

And dirty. He should’ve been put in jail for what he did to holtby

14 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

100% agree. And why didn’t anyone help holtby including his teammates? He was being assaulted 

Why do I feel that watching old hockey would give you guys an aneurysm

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why do I feel that watching old hockey would give you guys an aneurysm

USUALLY both parties agreed to the fight. Holtby clearly said no and got threw on the ice and punched in the head over and over and no one helped him. In fights they break it up when they fall over and they didnt break up the fight after holtby was on the ice getting beat up 

1 hour ago, Jonathon v said:

USUALLY both parties agreed to the fight. Holtby clearly said no and got threw on the ice and punched in the head over and over and no one helped him. In fights they break it up when they fall over and they didnt break up the fight after holtby was on the ice getting beat up 

Holtby kept trying to get up. Usually a player will turtle if they want to forfeit a fight.

Unless you decide to fight Cloutier, then turtling be damned.

24 minutes ago, Colander said:

Full disclosure - I am in now way  an avid fan of either Alberta team - but I wish it had been Smith and Rittich. After his bush-league victorious "stick-throw" the game before , I would have liked to have seen Rittich get thumped back into reality

I think getting pulled and the ass whooping Edmonton put on the scoreboard was enough.

4 hours ago, Colander said:

Full disclosure - I am in now way  an avid fan of either Alberta team - but I wish it had been Smith and Rittich. After his bush-league victorious "stick-throw" the game before , I would have liked to have seen Rittich get thumped back into reality

You want to know why everyone bitches and moans that hockey players don't show enough personality? It's because some people can't stand it when they do.

The stick-flip was great. More of that, please.

8 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

You want to know why everyone bitches and moans that hockey players don't show enough personality? It's because some people can't stand it when they do.

I'm there with you, why is it no one flips their lid when players score and jump into the glass or when they slide on one knee across the ice?

4 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

Yeah but I think @Colander is referring to the context. I’m all for goalies celebrating too - especially when it’s warranted. Rittich flopped, missed the poke check and got lucky the guy botched the handle. Then stared him down and flipped his stick? Little embarrassing (And douchy) in my opinion.

If this were baseball you get hit with the next pitch 10/10 times.

1 hour ago, dstew29 said:

Yeah but I think @Colander is referring to the context. I’m all for goalies celebrating too - especially when it’s warranted. Rittich flopped, missed the poke check and got lucky the guy botched the handle. Then stared him down and flipped his stick? Little embarrassing (And douchy) in my opinion.

If this were baseball you get hit with the next pitch 10/10 times.

Flopped and missed? Try watching that poke-check again.

Paddle and arm extended between Draisaitl's body and the puck, to prevent him from dekeing.
Body flush to the ice to prevent Draisaitl from shovelling the puck underneath him.
Legs extended to the right and pads stacked to prevent Draisaitl from going around or over him.
All executed in one brief moment when Draisaitl glanced down at the puck.

Rittich successfully pulled off a great move against one of the most talented forwards in the game, in the home barn of a hated division rival, in a tightly contested playoff race, clinching the season series against them. But no, don't do anything to celebrate, that's embarrassing and douchey. Please.

Like I said, guys don't celebrate more often because people shake their fingers and tut at the cameras about how "embarrassing" it is like they're a turn-of-the-century Victorian, particularly where goalies are concerned. If Draisaitl had scored the game winner in the SO and jumped into the boards, or done anything even remotely similar to what Rittich did, nobody would bat an eye. It's a stupid double-standard.

And if this was football everyone would be crowing about what a great touchdown celebration it was. But this is neither baseball nor football. It's hockey. And if we want to grow the game people need to untwist their knickers and stop making mountains out of guys being exuberant.

This is truly, (as with the comments I put in the thread about wanting to start a fight with another goalie) again a matter of personal opinion.

With regards to the comment about if this had been football, the whole touchdown celebrations thing is one of the main reasons I don’t watch the sport. Sure these guys are great athletes, and sure that catch you made to put you into the end zone was incredible and sure you deserve to celebrate, but when you start breaking into a pre-choreographed dance routine all I can think is: really? you took the time to practice something like that?

As far as no one “flips their lid when players score and jump into the glass or when they slide on one knee across the ice?” – I seem to remember some rookie scoring his first goal in his first game maybe 7, 8 years back (possibly on TO? - someone help me with this one) where he took off down centre ice and did the racing-dive-into-a-belly-flop slide. Even the hometown press scorned him for that one the next day.

The level of celebration you find acceptable is truly a personal scale – had Rittich just won the cup or even advanced to the finals, yeah, OK. You have to remember, as Rittich found out, the next game could be a complete reversal of fortunes – then the celebration kind of backfires on you. To that end, I can't help but wonder exactly what kind of fire he lit under the Oilers by the time his stick hit the ice - the next game certainly wasn't even close.

But again each to his own – you are certainly entitled to that - my opinion plus a buck still won’t get you a cheap cup of coffee.

13 minutes ago, Colander said:

As far as no one “flips their lid when players score and jump into the glass or when they slide on one knee across the ice?” – I seem to remember some rookie scoring his first goal in his first game maybe 7, 8 years back (possibly on TO? - someone help me with this one) where he took off down centre ice and did the racing-dive-into-a-belly-flop slide. Even the hometown press scorned him for that one the next day.

Are you talking about Yakupov's middle of the season, game tying goal celebration?

See, I'm all for Rittch's celebration. He won the game against a major rival.

Yakupov's game tying celebration was ridiculous.

I keep going back to context on this one. I remember Anisimov’s first NHL goal as a Ranger where he turned to the goalie with a sniper rifle gesture with his stick. Regular season game, nothing really on the line, just a excited kid doing what some kids do - act without thinking. And made himself and his team look classless in the process. The team reacted accordingly and nipped it in the bud and he got the message - there’s a general code to follow at this level w/r/t respect.

Celebrate with your team. jump into the glass and celebrate with the fans. Get excited. All for it, no one would bat an eyelash if that’s what that was. He took a different tact, and I’m sure the Oilers used it as motivation (as you could see) and his team/coach avoided answering questions about it like the plague (take another look).

That’s all I’m saying. When you try to show up / clown one of the top players in the league on your rival team, unabated (Drisietal isn’t a disrespectful guy from what I’ve seen), in a regular season game outside of the playoff picture then you end up looking like the clown. Plus, what’s the result of Driesitsl vs Rittich in a shootout out of say 5 tries? Come on, he didn’t get the clean poke, but it worked out. Be happy but don’t give yourself so much credit. And don’t show up the guy who’d likely score on you more often than not when he didn’t show you disrespect. 

I do t think he was responding “in kind” to  any personal attack on him, he just decided to put that attention on himself and his team/org. And like it or not as a fan, you can already see how it played out in real time within the league. I think you’ll see him course correct - and that’s why. There’s more to it than just showing raw emotion. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Are you talking about Yakupov's middle of the season, game tying goal celebration?

See, I'm all for Rittch's celebration. He won the game against a major rival.

Yakupov's game tying celebration was ridiculous.

Yep - that's the one

Archived