The "Official" Beer League Championship Thread

SaveByRichter35

• 2 months later...

Another tournament win - and the final was a shootout thriller that was decided in the 4th round (my son went first for us, and deked that poor goalie out of his jockstrap). 
I seem to be much better at coaching than at playing goalie (not that I have to be a good coach for that statement to hold true).

IMG_1715.jpeg

• Like 6

On 1/31/2024 at 6:34 PM, creasecollector said:

Congrats!

Thanks buddy! It was a great tournament, save for one team that exuded arrogance, and assumed they would run the table all weekend. One of their kids even said to one of my players in the week before the tournament “we’re going to win, but maybe you’ll get silver…” Shockingly, nobody liked them. These coaches set up 4 (yup; FOUR) different cameras for every game, gave the organizers (all volunteers) a hard time over scheduling etc, complained about the officials… all at U13 House League level. We had execs from other clubs saying “I really hope you beat those guys!” And we did beat them - TWICE, in fact, on our way to the final. Gotta say, the 5-0 win in round robin against them was sweeter than winning the shootout in the gold medal final.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's hilarious. I feel like travel AAA teams aren't even this awful. 

Right? We even asked around with parents of Dubs and Trips - none of them are doing FOUR cameras.

I mean, how do they even have the time to go through all that footage??

I’ll tell ya though, if the GoPro they stuck next to our bench had audio, they heard some choice observations… lol!

8 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Right? We even asked around with parents of Dubs and Trips - none of them are doing FOUR cameras.

I mean, how do they even have the time to go through all that footage??

I’ll tell ya though, if the GoPro they stuck next to our bench had audio, they heard some choice observations… lol!

I barely have time to skim through my LiveBarn footage. I couldn't imagine even toying with the idea to do that for house league. 

Does the coach have all the kids sit and watch game footage for strategies? How effective is any of this really? 

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I barely have time to skim through my LiveBarn footage. I couldn't imagine even toying with the idea to do that for house league. 

Does the coach have all the kids sit and watch game footage for strategies? How effective is any of this really? 

I dunno man… we haven’t exactly socialized with them. In fact, one of those ass clowns pushed past FIVE of my staff at our bench during the pre-game warm up without saying a word, to go stick his GoPro up, then back past all of us again. Not a “good luck” or “good game” or “hey!” Or “I’d just like to put this camera up here, it helps with our players’ development “

The consensus with my bench was “fuck ‘em and their cameras”

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Just smoked them out of the water eh? Congrats. 

May want to tell buddy in the back that the Skullet was never cool. 

Be nice! 😤

(But yeah, I don't know how to break that news to him)

7 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Those really are nice threads… would be awesome to match those with some new gear! 😍

Shout out to my captain who put it together. I'm fairly certain this is the Axis XF set I'll be getting in a couple months. Jerseys are done by Men's League Sweaters.... but their 60G seems a little smaller than my 58G Adidas practice jersey - I have a little trouble getting the MLS jersey on.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, mik said:

Is it June allready😎

By the time June hits I'll be 1/3 of the way into Summer season already!

(Winter season is September to April, summer season is May to August). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Kayen said:

By the time June hits I'll be 1/3 of the way into Summer season already!

(Winter season is September to April, summer season is May to August). 

Sounds about right. Usually Summer is done by first week of August at the latest, leaving a terrible 3-4 week gap where I have to fill my time with activities other than hockey. 

Gross. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sounds about right. Usually Summer is done by first week of August at the latest, leaving a terrible 3-4 week gap where I have to fill my time with activities other than hockey. 

Gross. 

Gross. 

I actually have a year round shinny that goes something crazy like 48 or 49 weeks of the year, so pretty much I rarely have any weeks without hockey. 

August in Vancouver without hockey sounds sweltering. You should start a beach hockey club at English Bay. 

1 minute ago, Kayen said:

Gross. 

I actually have a year round shinny that goes something crazy like 48 or 49 weeks of the year, so pretty much I rarely have any weeks without hockey. 

Yea, I try and pick up as much drop in's as I can during the period, but it's pretty sparse all around. Not exactly prime hockey season. 

August in Vancouver without hockey sounds sweltering. You should start a beach hockey club at English Bay. 

lol, that's a bit far for ball hockey. 

Capture.JPG.9316fb3dcf92dd2a3ffd4b374bb68459.JPG