Introduce Yourself

Ghostender

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, My name is Jake. I'm a new goaltender living in SoCal. Wasn't a huge hockey fan as a kid as I played baseball growing up but my dad worked for a company that got us a lot of tickets, mostly for the Kings. My buddies got me back into hockey during the 2014-2015 season and I've been hooked since. I'm a Ducks fan but I also follow the Avs fairly closely as I'm looking to move to Colorado one day...and I'm a huge Patrick Roy fan. Playing wise, I haven't seen game action just yet, but I've been doing private lessons with a former ECHL goaltender for about 2 months now. Really looking forward to joining a rookie league that starts this July.

• Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 7:36 PM, JRobles71 said:

Hey everyone, My name is Jake. I'm a new goaltender living in SoCal. Wasn't a huge hockey fan as a kid as I played baseball growing up but my dad worked for a company that got us a lot of tickets, mostly for the Kings. My buddies got me back into hockey during the 2014-2015 season and I've been hooked since. I'm a Ducks fan but I also follow the Avs fairly closely as I'm looking to move to Colorado one day...and I'm a huge Patrick Roy fan. Playing wise, I haven't seen game action just yet, but I've been doing private lessons with a former ECHL goaltender for about 2 months now. Really looking forward to joining a rookie league that starts this July.

Hey Jake!

nice to read another background; I’m a big supporter of this thread (see earlier bumps... ahem! Posts.)

I was also a huge Roy fan, but from before he went to the land where yellow food die and carbonation is added to mountain water and sold as “beer”.

I'm also pretty new; I have one pick up game (and a double-digit GAA) under my belt now, so clearly WAAAAY ahead of you! :rofl: But then my goalie coach is not a former ECHL goalie, so maybe you are actually ahead of ME!

Anyway, from a fellow neophyte net minder, welcome. Great help, great laughs, great guys here!

cheers

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

On ‎15‎.‎4‎.‎2018 at 2:36 AM, JRobles71 said:

Great to have another Ducks fan here ;) .

• Like 1

It's Friday so I thought I say hello, I will try to keep this short but I can't promise you that...

Born and raised in Israel with a European backgrounf, came to Toronto when I was 11 years old.  Played mostly soccer back home and some basketball until I saw the game of hockey, and of course at that time Felix the Cat Potvin! Fell in love with the sport right away, at that age my parents thought I was crazy even thinking to learn the game, skate, etc. so I took up baseball/softball and kicked all the Canadians ass in soccer during lunch time.  I did skate when I was around 13/14 but I wasn't very good at it, heck I couldn't stop.

Years go by and I'm playing street hockey, got my goalie equipment for gym class and everyone started noticing me, but still, it was nothing compare to now.

Fast forward to the age of 27/28, walking with my ex at the park I see ice outside, thought to myself....why not buy skates and see if I can do anything....so I got skates and went on...could skate fairly well and stop (wow, I can stop?) I was a bit surprised.  I got this crazy idea to go buy player equipment and take up hockey......went out on boxing day, bought everything and started to take power skating lessons at York University.  Did 10 classes and started to play summer and winter hockey at the lowest level.  It was hard, hard to compete with guys playing since the age of 5.....BUT it was my dream, to always be in net....I had that urge from a young age.  During the Christmas break our team rented ice and I put on my goalies team equipment, obviously due to size issues I wasn't comfortable, and it was a bit strange but interesting...however I was on a mission!! A mission to be a goalie, let's be honest this player thing wasn't working out.  I didn't score in 2 seasons even though I did get a bunch of assists.

Went to Dukes and got myself goalie equipment, started playing pickup hockey at a low level, slowly joined a league, found another team (won 2 leagues in 4 years) and now I play B/C level.  With no coaching, mostly playing, watching videos I'm very proud of what I've accomplished and all of you should as well if you just started.

I gave up on all the other sports (except beach volleyball) because hockey is in my blood, I play all year long!  Been on the ice for 8 years now and going strong!

My name is Niv, you pronounce is Neeev :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Interesting story, @mr_shifty1982 - or Niv! I just came back from my 2nd-ever appearance as goalie (just a pick up game  - but I think I might have kept the GAA under double digits this time! :datass:)

Good to know that it gets better for those people who have this dream, and only get to start living it a tad later in life. My story/introduction is on page 1 of this thread I think, but I started this about 2 months ago at age 39. It sure takes some character to do what we do - and more so when you do it badly (speaking for myself here). I have left every single session as goalie with a goofy grin on my face though, a feeling of satisfaction and gratitude that I finally get to do this, and excitement knowing that I have so much room for improvement.

I'm personally a big fan of this thread, so thanks for posting, Niv!

Cheers

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

Just now, mr_shifty1982 said:

@Lucky Pucker keep on having fun! I still have this fear of not being able to play and I'm 36, all those years missed! I'm pretty good at it shocking, health will be #1

Me too, brother! Like, I am loving this so much, but what if I really hurt my knee or something? Hips, etc? But then it seems a lot of 35+ pick up games are content to have someone simply wearing goalie equipment in the vicinity of the net, so mobility might not be super important for me later on. Besides - it's as important (maybe MORE important) to look cool, and have cool gear!

As others have mentioned in other threads, a foam roller does wonders. It is my most important piece of equipment, and I use it daily! (OK, I sorta "liberated" it from my wife, who got it when she had an IT band injury from our half-marathon training, before kids, and before either one of us knew what/where an IT band was... but I digress)

My name is Mike, i have been playing in the Saginaw Michigan area since i was 10 (1978). The 2018 season will be my 40th year of goaltending and my 20th season with my current team. And yes like many others, I have hip and knee issues, and for the first time ever, couldn't finish the season due to a back issue. That said, I have found that cycling has provided the best treatment for my knees and hips, usually during the off season months, i average 80-100 miles each week. This may not be for everyone, but it works for me.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, loki1416 said:

@Md30 I grew up just south of you! The Otter Lake/North Lake area. Would have been cool if we had played HS hockey against each other, but you were two years ahead of me. Anyhow, welcome to the forums!

Thank you, maybe we went to a hockey school together at some point. I had Jeff Jackson as a goalie coach at MSU  summer hockey camp during his early coaching days around 84 and 85.  In the mid 80s my school didn't have a team so I wound up playing travel and juniors out of Saginaw from age 15-19.

9 hours ago, loki1416 said:

@Md30 Nope. Also never went to a camp till a year ago lol. I was a defenseman in HS and played for Lakeville HS 95-97. In 97-98 I was on a travel team in Alabama.

Maybe our paths will cross at a tournament sometime then.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, straight up; this is a bump. :D

I think I've noticed some new members join, and might not be aware of this thread. In this iteration here on the goalie network, it was @Ghostender who started it (thanks!) I think it's great, and I love reading about how people got to being a goalie present-day, where they are/where they're from, and whatever other anecdotes! I have an entry here, as do several other members. Great reading to be had!

So why not make an entry yourself... ?

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I think I've noticed some new members join, and might not be aware of this thread. In this iteration here on the goalie network, it was @Ghostender who started it (thanks!) I think it's great, and I love reading about how people to being a goalie present-day, where they are/where they're from, and whatever other anecdotes! I have an entry here, as do several other members. Great reading to be had!

So why not make an entry yourself... ?

Your enthusiasm is FANTASTIC!!! You are quickly becoming a great ambassador to the site!

Good onya!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2018 at 7:35 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Your enthusiasm is FANTASTIC!!! You are quickly becoming a great ambassador to the site!

Good onya!!!!

Wow - quite chuffed to get this from you, the much-esteemed Mr. @bunnyman666 Sir! Ta!

I didn't want to intrude as an unknown noob on your update thread, but I was very touched by your post, and needless to say my thoughts are with you. AND I am thrilled to see that you have decided to continue contributing!

Cheers! :chug:

Edited by Lucky Pucker

5 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wow - quite chuffed to get this from you, the much-esteemed Mr. @bunnyman666 Sir! Ta!

I didn't want to intrude as an unknown noob on your update thread, but I was very touched by your post, and needless to say my thoughts are with you. AND I am thrilled to see that you have decided to continue contributing!

Cheers! :chug:

Mark

You will NEVER be an intruder, Mark! And thank you on all accounts. I admit I am a bit gobsmacked when I read esteemed and my name in the same sentence!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I think I've noticed some new members join, and might not be aware of this thread. In this iteration here on the goalie network, it was @Ghostender who started it (thanks!)...

OK  - I think you guys misunderstood - the idea of this thread was actually for me to talk about myself - don't really care about anyone else.

:rofl:

(OK JK - love to hear about where people are coming from and how/why they took up the position!)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ghostender said:

OK  - I think you guys misunderstood - the idea of this thread was actually for me to talk about myself - don't really care about anyone else.

:rofl:

(OK JK - love to hear about where people are coming from and how/why they took up the position!)

I think that's called Facebook. Not sure, because I have never had a FB account myself. Personally, I'm waiting for them to have more self-interested millennials with ZERO filter - who are preferably also self-identified foodies and post pics of every meal - as members before I join. :P