Introduce Yourself

Ghostender

On 4/14/2018 at 5:36 PM, JRobles71 said:

Hey everyone, My name is Jake. I'm a new goaltender living in SoCal. Wasn't a huge hockey fan as a kid as I played baseball growing up but my dad worked for a company that got us a lot of tickets, mostly for the Kings. My buddies got me back into hockey during the 2014-2015 season and I've been hooked since. I'm a Ducks fan but I also follow the Avs fairly closely as I'm looking to move to Colorado one day...and I'm a huge Patrick Roy fan. Playing wise, I haven't seen game action just yet, but I've been doing private lessons with a former ECHL goaltender for about 2 months now. Really looking forward to joining a rookie league that starts this July.

Hey man! I’ve seen you on Twitter a lot, I don’t know if you know me but I’m a huge montour fan lol. 

• Like 1

Maybe it’s time to introduce myself, I’ll make it brief.

First off, I’ve been in goalie gear for a year and a half and have been playing a little over a year, my dad and I started going to ducks playoffs games in 2014-2015 and I just got obsessed with it. I’ve always been a goalie even in soccer when I was younger so it was easy for me to choose. 

I started off in a house league and played on a JV team and it was awful, lots of drama. Anyways, I’ve had the same goalie coach ever since I got full gear and he’s the reason why I’m now playing in the ADHSHL Varsity Tier 2, I joined the team late but plan on going back. I also play for the LA Lions 16U AA but might not be after this season due to lots of drama as well. 

Overall, I wish I started playing hockey a lot sooner but there wasn’t a lot of hockey growing up, but it’s still the best thing I’ve ever done.

Thanks for reading,

Izzy

Edited by southpawtendy48
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 11:35 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Maybe it’s time to introduce myself, I’ll make it brief.

First off, I’ve been in goalie gear for a year and a half and have been playing a little over a year, my dad and I started going to ducks playoffs games in 2014-2015 and I just got obsessed with it. I’ve always been a goalie even in soccer when I was younger so it was easy for me to choose. 

I started off in a house league and played on a JV team and it was awful, lots of drama. Anyways, I’ve had the same goalie coach ever since I got full gear and he’s the reason why I’m now playing in the ADHSHL Varsity Tier 2, I joined the team late but plan on going back. I also play for the LA Lions 16U AA but might not be after this season due to lots of drama as well. 

Overall, I wish I started playing hockey a lot sooner but there wasn’t a lot of hockey growing up, but it’s still the best thing I’ve ever done.

Thanks for reading,

Izzy

Hey Izzy! Thanks for posting! I hear ya about wishing you could have started earlier; my start was at age 39 - and that’s just 2 months ago, with wife, kids, mortgage, job... so I’d say you’re winning! :giggle:

Weird how many Ducks fans there are... but then I even find a single Ducks fan to be peculiar- lol!

...for anyone reading these who hasn’t yet introduced themselves, be like Izzy and post! I will give you a “reaction”, which will give you points, which can be redeemed for (pictures of) sweet pro gear! Or cred. Or something... I guess.

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Alright! as you are requesting more introductions, here goes.

My name is Mads and I'm from Denmark. Currently being an apprentice to become a maritime service engineer, so me and my SO  decided to move for a job opportunity for me... which is pretty much a fluke as they are not teaching me what they are supposed to, so i'm searching for a new apprenticeship in the area where we came from and where we both used to play hockey. 

So right now I don't play icehockey, but i'm bulking up on gear lol! Just missing pads then i got a complete new set of gear, never used :P Same goes for my SO, she's waiting for her passau catcher/blocker and C/A that should have been done like a week and a half ago, but no word from passau after enquiring about it last thursday i believe?

Used to play some junior hockey for 3 seasons back when i was 12-15, and didn't start again untill the season before the current one. and can't wait to come back to play!

Also, not sure if this is the right place to ask but any recommendations on pads, as the last ones i used were a pair of premiers (Rbk) that was some used danish prostock from the year 2005... so needlesly to say they had been beaten to death lol! 

I don't post a lot in general but i tend to keep an eye on the site every day :) Hopefully you are still awake and have not fallen asleep half way during this read.

Have a great evening and enjoy the world cup in Denmark! 

/Mads

• Like 2

On 5/5/2018 at 6:09 PM, MadsM said:

Alright! as you are requesting more introductions, here goes.

My name is Mads and I'm from Denmark. Currently being an apprentice to become a maritime service engineer, so me and my SO  decided to move for a job opportunity for me... which is pretty much a fluke as they are not teaching me what they are supposed to, so i'm searching for a new apprenticeship in the area where we came from and where we both used to play hockey. 

So right now I don't play icehockey, but i'm bulking up on gear lol! Just missing pads then i got a complete new set of gear, never used :P Same goes for my SO, she's waiting for her passau catcher/blocker and C/A that should have been done like a week and a half ago, but no word from passau after enquiring about it last thursday i believe?

Used to play some junior hockey for 3 seasons back when i was 12-15, and didn't start again untill the season before the current one. and can't wait to come back to play!

Also, not sure if this is the right place to ask but any recommendations on pads, as the last ones i used were a pair of premiers (Rbk) that was some used danish prostock from the year 2005... so needlesly to say they had been beaten to death lol! 

I don't post a lot in general but i tend to keep an eye on the site every day :) Hopefully you are still awake and have not fallen asleep half way during this read.

Have a great evening and enjoy the world cup in Denmark! 

/Mads

Hey Mads! Thanks for posting!

Long distance from Denmark? ?? Cool! Good luck landing a better apprenticeship. Reading between the lines, it sounds like your SO is a keeper (Also for putting up with you! :rofl:) I know my wife was a saint even before I decided to play goalie.

I’m in no position to advise on pads, but it might be a particular challenge for you being in Europe. I think @Znowleopard recently posted about buying pads...? I think he’s in Belgium...(?) 

Anyway, welcome! 

Cheers

Edited by Lucky Pucker

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Hey Mads! Thanks for posting!

Long distance from Denmark? ?? Cool! Good luck landing a better apprenticeship. Reading between the lines, it sounds like your SO is a keeper (Also for putting up with you! :rofl:) I know my wife was a saint even before I decided to play goalie.

I’m in no position to advise on pads, but it might be a particular challenge for you being in Europe. I think @Znowleopard recently posted about buying pads...? I think he’s in Belgium...(?) 

Anyway, welcome! 

Cheers,

Mark

Yes I am in Belgium (actually in denmark right now for the World Cup) , and me and mads happen to both be danish

Hi all,

I'm new to this group and have been a goalie for about 30 years. 

I started out with deck and roller hockey as there were no rinks I my hometown.  I eventually transitioned to ice after college and haven't looked back. I have no formal training and currently play mid level men's division. 

I have bought and sold gear through the old goalie store board and more recently on the FB goalie pages.  

Current set up:

- Bauer 7000 skates with vertex cowling

- Brian's Subzero 3 pads, catcher and blocker.

- Brown jb2000 chest

- Vaughn V2 pants

- Jerry Wright mask (RX-8 I think)

- Reebok pro return Miila Wiikman stick

• Like 1

Just now, TFrankowski said:

Hi all,

I'm new to this group and have been a goalie for about 30 years. 

I started out with deck and roller hockey as there were no rinks I my hometown.  I eventually transitioned to ice after college and haven't looked back. I have no formal training and currently play mid level men's division. 

I have bought and sold gear through the old goalie store board and more recently on the FB goalie pages.  

Current set up:

- Bauer 7000 skates with vertex cowling

- Brian's Subzero 3 pads, catcher and blocker.

- Brown jb2000 chest

- Vaughn V2 pants

- Jerry Wright mask (RX-8 I think)

- Reebok pro return Miila Wiikman stick

IMG_2594.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey All, glad to have found a forum style talk for goalies! I have been a member of the Goalie Store Bulletin Board since like 2001? The place has died and didn't know there was another forum with more activity, so I am happy to be here!

I have been a goalie for about 20 years now, I played in high school for a bit then just house leagues and now recreational beer leagues, still enjoy every second of it though.

My setup is currently:

Pete Smith 35+1 pads red and white

RBK blocker, Pete Smith Glove

Old CCM pants, Vaughn V3 chest protector, RBK goalie skates

and a Sportmask Mage RS mask painted by headstronggraphx back when they weren't popular, it was probably one of the first masks they ever painted. ?

So a lot of my stuff is older, I would like to get another Sportmask Mage mask eventually, it seems like there aren't many retailers who carry them though. Anyway, just wanted to say hey and I will be sure to lurk around! 

• Like 1

Hey all,

Figured I'd do an intro. I was a member of GSBB way back in the day. Popped back over because I've been thinking about getting some new gear, but it seemed dead so I'm really glad I found this place! I've been playing for about 14 years now. Started at 14 and played Girl's AAA which turned into Women's ACHA D1. I've been in retirement ever since. This past year a team has asked me to be their goalie for multiple tournaments though, and it's really given me the gear whore itch haha.

Rocking my Vaughn V4 set from university still and really hoping to upgrade within the next 6 months. I did grab a new Hackva I found last year at some pro shop because my old one was pretty thrashed and I can't see myself wearing another mask. It's a shame they're no more.

I'm happy I'm not just lurking anymore and can contribute some!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I’ve been following along here for the last few months and there is a lot of great stuff! 

I’ve been a goalie for 27 years now, mostly played in house league growing up and now just men’s league and a few tournaments every year when I can sneak away for the weekend!

I’m in the midst of replacing a lot of my gear and the forums here have definitely helped so far. I’ve checked skates (Bauer 1X)and pads (Vaughn Pro V Elite) off the list and just ordered a Passau Pro Pack chesty. I will get to doing reviews hopefully soon!

Cheers, Matt

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

Wayne the VO Goalie here.  Happy to join the community!  I was a member back on the GSBB so it's nice to see lots of familiar names and faces (or avatars)!

History: after High School back in the 90's, I went straight into Beer Leagues and have been there ever since.  I have evolved as a goalie from that hybrid thing to butterfly, but now that my reflexes are slow, I just mostly drop and block...

I'm big on gear and have used lots of stuff over the last 20+ years.  I am generally a big supporter of the smaller manufacturers even if some have growing pains but have own some piece of gear from most of the larger guys too.

Some of you may know that I recently re-launched my YouTube channel which is dedicated to providing fun goalie content.  I started it this summer as an outlet for me to talk about goalie gear and so far, I think the response has been positive.  If anyone ever has suggestions, I'm always all ears!  I work from home, so aside from my family, I'm starved of social interaction (aside from the one or two nights a week I play goal) so one of the reasons I started my channel is just to engage with other passionate goalies!

Anyway, glad to be a part of this community and hope to contribute in my own small way!
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, VOGoalie said:

Hi Everyone,

Wayne the VO Goalie here.  Happy to join the community!  I was a member back on the GSBB so it's nice to see lots of familiar names and faces (or avatars)!

History: after High School back in the 90's, I went straight into Beer Leagues and have been there ever since.  I have evolved as a goalie from that hybrid thing to butterfly, but now that my reflexes are slow, I just mostly drop and block...

I'm big on gear and have used lots of stuff over the last 20+ years.  I am generally a big supporter of the smaller manufacturers even if some have growing pains but have own some piece of gear from most of the larger guys too.

Some of you may know that I recently re-launched my YouTube channel which is dedicated to providing fun goalie content.  I started it this summer as an outlet for me to talk about goalie gear and so far, I think the response has been positive.  If anyone ever has suggestions, I'm always all ears!  I work from home, so aside from my family, I'm starved of social interaction (aside from the one or two nights a week I play goal) so one of the reasons I started my channel is just to engage with other passionate goalies!

Anyway, glad to be a part of this community and hope to contribute in my own small way!

Glad to see you ended up coming over. Definitely enjoy the vids.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've exercised phenomenal restraint (read: I forgot about this), and have abstained from bumping this thread for over 2 months,  apparently.

Lots of new members since then! No pressure or obligation, but: guaranteed reaction(s) from me, which gives you points, which gives you cred. Well, cred here on TGN, at least... so like, cred with other goalies... which in the real world is no cred at all.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1