NHL 2019-2020 Gear Sightings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Another brand switch.  Anderson in Bauer with a suspiciously pointless leather strap at the knee.

I might be wrong, but I think its in the NHL gear regs that pads must still have the leather knee strap to make sure the knee block doesn't protrude beyond the overall width of the pad (not that it makes a damn bit of difference in most cases as the guys wear them so loose anyways and its primarily the knee lock doing all the work!)

3 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

I might be wrong, but I think its in the NHL gear regs that pads must still have the leather knee strap to make sure the knee block doesn't protrude beyond the overall width of the pad (not that it makes a damn bit of difference in most cases as the guys wear them so loose anyways and its primarily the knee lock doing all the work!)

That's not a thing. Here's Dubnyk's pads just for reference.

images.jpg.8b62bbad9f7860b034b98a9ac84854a0.jpg

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That's not a thing. Here's Dubnyk's pads just for reference.

images.jpg.8b62bbad9f7860b034b98a9ac84854a0.jpg

Fair enough, must just be a comfort / tradition thing for some guys then

EDIT: Just scouring the memory banks, I think my impression that it was an NHL reg came from some gear rundown where whoever it was being interviewed said 'I've got the leather strap on there still so Kay doesn't think I'm cheating' 

My guess is that Anderson has seen the videos of guys using only Velcro having their pads come off and this strap is to prevent that. Wish I could remember where I saw it to post as a reverence but it had a player crashing the net, clipping the goalies right pad while down. This caused his entire pad to unstrap except the toe strap. .

11 minutes ago, kyledjean said:

My guess is that Anderson has seen the videos of guys using only Velcro having their pads come off and this strap is to prevent that. Wish I could remember where I saw it to post as a reverence but it had a player crashing the net, clipping the goalies right pad while down. This caused his entire pad to unstrap except the toe strap. .

I mean, Anderson wearing a calf wrap and not having 7 leather straps is a big change for him. I think he, like many others, is just a bit stuck with having at least one leather strap.

50 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Fair enough, must just be a comfort / tradition thing for some guys then

EDIT: Just scouring the memory banks, I think my impression that it was an NHL reg came from some gear rundown where whoever it was being interviewed said 'I've got the leather strap on there still so Kay doesn't think I'm cheating' 

That was Ben Scrivens on his Periscope of all his Habs gear.  That was in 2016 before the major strapping revolution.  With the newer elastic set ups they do the same job as the leather strap.

One of the best gear videos out there:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXwEXnyjKZ

13 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

That was Ben Scrivens on his Periscope of all his Habs gear.  That was in 2016 before the major strapping revolution.  With the newer elastic set ups they do the same job as the leather strap.

One of the best gear videos out there:

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1djGXwEXnyjKZ

Awesome! Knew I'd heard it somewhere! I'm guessing the reason Scrivens had to have the strap was because he doesn't otherwise have a knee lock (being reliant on his own 'professor' strap) that'd keep the stack from flaring out. 

Back on to sitings, noticed the other night that Driedger had a unique V8 setup:

gettyimages-1169369133-2048x2048.jpg

4 minutes ago, raucebyalien said:

Awesome! Knew I'd heard it somewhere! I'm guessing the reason Scrivens had to have the strap was because he doesn't otherwise have a knee lock (being reliant on his own 'professor' strap) that'd keep the stack from flaring out. 

Back on to sitings, noticed the other night that Driedger had a unique V8 setup:

gettyimages-1169369133-2048x2048.jpg

Reminds me of the new JRZ Fusion graphic

20 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Wow, I've never seen that video before.   Great stuff.  It'd be so awesome to have every goalie in the league do this for a series of videos.

I'd wager that not too many goalies are huge gear nuts like us.  Lots of guys have pro reps that know what they like and wear whatever shows up.

On 9/19/2019 at 1:46 PM, raucebyalien said:

personally, without a hard anchored strap like this i find my knee can come off the black in scramble situations. 

On 9/19/2019 at 2:09 PM, kyledjean said:

I believe it was Laurent Brossoit. But they were definitely wearing Bauer pads. 

Archived