Step steel vs Tydan

Imperative

Hey goalies, I currently wear true two piece skates with step holder and  step steel. The steel is starting to wear down and I am looking at new steel. Does anyone have experience going from step steel to tydan steel and is it worth the switch or should I stick with step? Thanks

9 hours ago, Imperative said:

Hey goalies, I currently wear true two piece skates with step holder and  step steel. The steel is starting to wear down and I am looking at new steel. Does anyone have experience going from step steel to tydan steel and is it worth the switch or should I stick with step? Thanks

I've had black coated of both brands and been happy with both of them. 

On 12/10/2020 at 6:43 AM, BadAngle41 said:

I've had black coated of both brands and been happy with both of them. 

How do You get them sharpened? I currently have a buddy that has a sharpening machine but something is off and it really messed with my steel especially on my left skate. The guy who runs my team just bought a Sparx (hasn’t been delivered yet).  I think from now on I will get them sharpened with him. Have you had your black coated steel sharpened in a sparx? If so, any issues with the machine? 

5 hours ago, Imperative said:

Sort I don’t understand what  “massive blades dlc” means 

"massive" is a blade company that make ice hockey blades and sled blades from korea,  They have the hardest black coating that doesnt scratch unlike tydan

14 hours ago, Imperative said:

How do You get them sharpened? I currently have a buddy that has a sharpening machine but something is off and it really messed with my steel especially on my left skate. The guy who runs my team just bought a Sparx (hasn’t been delivered yet).  I think from now on I will get them sharpened with him. Have you had your black coated steel sharpened in a sparx? If so, any issues with the machine? 

Perfect timing on your question. I actually send them off to NoIcingSports to get sharpened... 7/16" hollow. But with the new wheels I only have a single pair of steels at the moment so I was in a pinch and had the shop at the rink sharpen them on a Sparx. Turned out awful. Right skate had literally no inside edge while the left felt like it was done at 1/8". Likely operator error though.

9 hours ago, Imperative said:

Sort I don’t understand what  “massive blades dlc” means 

DLC just stands for Diamond Like Coating... each company has their own naming for it... but at the end of the day they're all pretty similar.

15 hours ago, Imperative said:

DLC coated steel sharpens just like non-DLC coated steel. The DLC coating is not on the sharpened surface of the steel, and serves only to help increase the life of the 'edge'. In my experience with Tidan DLC steel, it does this extremely well. The downside is that you cannot used a stone to knock burrs and nicks off the edge, but you can use a rubberized burr remover to do so. It is less effective, but effective none the less. 

You should ensure that the steel is not bent. It is somewhat difficult to sight for a bend due to the radius of the steel, so I suggest placing them flat on a surface stone, provided you have access to one, or a known-good glass surface. Tiniest amount of daylight in the middle or lift on either end will make sharpening inconsistent, at best. This is an issue with 3mm steel in general, both on goalie and player skates. A bent blade may possibly be remedied by bending it back in the other direction, but success here can vary from impossible to perfect. The good news is that a smaller radius of profile/rocker will effectively lessen the impact a bent blade has on how an inconsistent sharpen feels when you're skating, although it will do nothing for the actual inconsistency of the sharpen. A highly experience skate sharpener may be able to mitigate some of this, too, by noting the bend in the blade and pitching the steel in the fixture accordingly, or by shimming the steel in the fixture in order to bend the blade flat just for the purpose of sharpening. In either case, a nearly perfect sharpening on a bent blade may be achieved, and it would likely be impossible for anyone to notice the bend in the blade while skate despite all visual indications of a bend.  No automatic skate sharpening that I know of would be able to accommodate bent steel, and I can certainly see them exacerbating the bend due to how they fixture and operate.

Bauer Vertexx goalie holders are very good in many ways, but I believe them to have one major flaw in that they allow steel to become bent far too easily. This may be attributable to both the design of the holder and the design of the steel. There seems to be a relatively small amount steel used for mounting points given the 3mm thickness, and very little of the steel nests within the holder itself (above the holder line). Also, I can imagine the such a long blade would have a pretty good amount of leverage against what is effectively a beefed up skater holder. I'm not a giant guy, and I can often feel that I'm flexing either the holder, the steel, or both. This can probably happen only so many times until the steel and holder just naturally start to bend.  

Found some step for my older skates and like them a lot more than my older runners. I noticed they kept an edge better and allowed more bit while letting me move with less effort. 

mine are black steel and I either run a piece of Leather or wood softly over the edges myself or make sure the shop uses a stone that’s good for DLC. They sell stones just for DLC that you can purchase yourself and use it after the sparx. 

2 hours ago, Jukka Ropponen said:

Have you guys noticed the new Tydan steels that work with normal 3 mm Vertexx holders, but ar actually 4 mm wide. Almost all of my pro customers are using 4 mm blades as they give you a lot better bite / grip on the ice.

Interesting Jukka. It's like going back to the source so-to-speak. Anymore info on this?

• 3 weeks later...

You could always get them profiled.  When I first switched to back to 4mm from 3mm I couldnt move and felt like I was on stilts. 

Had the local place with a Prosharp give me a smaller radius and I had them grind off more steel to get the height down 

1 hour ago, kudot said:

You could always get them profiled.  When I first switched to back to 4mm from 3mm I couldnt move and felt like I was on stilts. 

Had the local place with a Prosharp give me a smaller radius and I had them grind off more steel to get the height down 

I hear you but spending between 130$ and 200$ for new blades to have them shave of 1/4...ouch. If I got used ones, then it'd be cheaper and more worth my budget.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived