Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

40 minutes ago, MTH said:

You've clearly never played roller.

You can go from a 3 on 1 against them - miss the net on a hard shot - puck comes out fast and it's a 3 on 1 back at you.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that. 

I had to growing up in the south.  It was roller or nothing before university for me.  

• Like 1

Just now, seagoal said:

I had to growing up in the south.  It was roller or nothing before university for me.  

I'm so thankful that even during the summer, there's no shortage of ICE rinks available. 

In other news, I may be pulling the trigger on a set of all black Machs today. Just need to muster up the courage. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 1:42 PM, seagoal said:

I played forever at a skating rink that added rink glass around the walls too. Rink was small as heck, had cinderblock walls around it and rock hard glass on top of the block wall. The puck would come off the wall behind the net as fast as it came in. Transitions from offense to defense were lightning quick.

Hockey is hockey. Rink was close as heck and I played a ton there for free. Workout was amazing and the people who played were all good company.

Sadly the rink didn't make it past covid and closed.

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:
On 10/18/2023 at 2:57 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Lots of goalies switching to white based gear again this year. Can't find the article anymore but I could've sworn I saw somewhere that the 22-23 season had the lowest average save percentage in almost 2 decades so that could be a factor.

Well what're the odds of that happening lol

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

This quote is pretty applicable to even us beer leaguers: 

"Guys are way more reluctant to shoot the puck now," DeSmith said. "I remember when I first came into the League, I would have games where I'd stop 30 of 31 and I felt like I only needed to make two great saves. Now you might get 24 shots and maybe you have seven grade-A chances."

Games where guys have no problem just constantly wiring pucks at me are the easiest games. Not only do you get to feel the puck more and get more confidence under your feet, but you also start to get into their heads. 

The games where the team is always looking for Grade A/B chances instead of just getting pucks at net are always tougher. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

This quote is pretty applicable to even us beer leaguers: 

Games where guys have no problem just constantly wiring pucks at me are the easiest games. Not only do you get to feel the puck more and get more confidence under your feet, but you also start to get into their heads. 

The games where the team is always looking for Grade A/B chances instead of just pucks at net are always tougher. 

This is exactly correct. And I think forwards know that now and purposely aren't giving goalies the luxury of settling into a game and making easy saves. It also makes the games a little less fun... obviously I'm there for the beer afterwards but I'd also like to see some rubber. 

5 minutes ago, froese said:

This is exactly correct. And I think forwards know that now and purposely aren't giving goalies the luxury of settling into a game and making easy saves. It also makes the games a little less fun... obviously I'm there for the beer afterwards but I'd also like to see some rubber. 

Don't tell your boys that, you may see a whole different set of rubbers. 

• Haha 3

Funny story.  My last night in Montreal I went out to dinner in Little Italy which is very close to Arena Martin Brodeur where he grew up playing.   So, I had to go.

Ended up talking to the zamboni driver,  super nice guy.  So we chatted quite a while.  I learned the term "garage league" and there happened to be a 40+ game on the ice. I tell him I'm from Seattle and he starts going on and on about Marshawn Lynch and some play the Seahawks botched on the goal line in a Super Bowl?? I have no idea.

Screenshot_20231026_122756_Google.jpg

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Funny story.  My last night in Montreal I went out to dinner in Little Italy which is very close to Arena Martin Brodeur where he grew up playing.   So, I had to go.

Ended up talking to the zamboni driver,  super nice guy.  So we chatted quite a while.  I learned the term "garage league" and there happened to be a 40+ game on the ice. I tell him I'm from Seattle and he starts going on and on about Marshawn Lynch and some play the Seahawks botched on the goal line in a Super Bowl?? I have no idea.

Screenshot_20231026_122756_Google.jpg

Might have gotten a bit of a sideways look; that’s more “France” French than Quebecois joual… 😉

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Might have gotten a bit of a sideways look; that’s more “France” French than Quebecois joual… 😉

4 hours ago, MTH said:

Quebec is to the French language as Philly is to the English language?

Definitely my favorite hockey word in Quebecois French that I learned was Overtime = Prolongation "pro-lon-gaysheeon".  I got a good kick out of that. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Haha 1

Crazy situation in my game tonight against our arch rivals for the past 3 seasons.  Doing my thing for warmies and they have a sub goalie.  All good.  Captains turn in the rosters and the refs are called over.  They call the other captain over, turns out their sub goalie is on the USA Hockey suspension list and ineligible to play.  So my captain offers some situations: 1) Forfeit, send the refs and scorekeeper to the bar, we scrimmage with the goalie 2) Play without a goalie 3) go to other 2 rinks and try to snag a goalie. They chose 3, but failed.  So we played against an empty net and a PP the whole game. 

Kinda weird.  This has not happened for me before in a real game with refs.  So of course I'm thinking: I have to try and score. 

I get one shot off in the 2nd period that got intercepted easily at center ice. Another really good opportunity very late in the 3rd where I get the puck in the circle to my right. Both teams (haha) are yelling SHOOT! and my own D takes the puck from me and then everyone Boos him (haha) and he dishes it back to me but now I have 2 guys forechecking like beasts at me so I get a good backhand chip pass off to my left and get the puck out.  Sigh. 

Final score 7-3.  3 legit goals on me including 2 6-on-4 PP goals.  My guys took it easy I guess.  7 total shots with 100% success rate :)

Oh beer league.  

• Like 2