Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Oh man just found this glove.  Says it has a pro palm and a Mach build even though it says Hyperlite on the backhand.   Definitely looks like it has Mach loops in the wrist area.

Graphic is awesome and in my colors.

Screenshot_20231114_093535_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231114_093553_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20231114_093603_Samsung Internet.jpg

It's undoubtedly a Mach glove. Just skinned with the Hyperlite logo as it looks like a set of Hyperlite pads below. 

Even without seeing the insides, you can tell it's a Mach due to:

1. The vertical lacing on the cuff. (Vapour 60/90 gloves have a single angular lacing more inwards. 
2. The backhand and cuff region is shallower than Ultrasonic/2S and is different than Vapour. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

It's undoubtedly a Mach glove. Just skinned with the Hyperlite logo as it looks like a set of Hyperlite pads below. 

Even without seeing the insides, you can tell it's a Mach due to:

1. The vertical lacing on the cuff. (Vapour 60/90 gloves have a single angular lacing more inwards. 
2. The backhand and cuff region is shallower than Ultrasonic/2S and is different than Vapour. 

Do you recognize the MK logo/embroidery?  Apparently this is a pro return from the Ottawa Senators.

4 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Do you recognize the MK logo/embroidery?  Apparently this is a pro return from the Ottawa Senators.

Their AHL affiliate has a Kevin Mandolese on their roster. Dude wears Vapour pads and a 1piece blocker from Bauer, with a True catcher. 

There's pictures of him in a Hyperlite catcher as well, but I can't find any pictures of him in a Mach glove or any set that matches the pattern on the glove. 

So my guess it's his and he wanted to try out the Supreme glove, just wasn't for him. 

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

FYI, found this old listing: 

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-gloves-blockers/6635659-bauer-kevin-mandolese-nhl-used-regular-hyperlite

Looks like dude that's selling it is a notorious reseller and is trying to flip it for a profit. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

FYI, found this old listing: 

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-gloves-blockers/6635659-bauer-kevin-mandolese-nhl-used-regular-hyperlite

Looks like dude that's selling it is a notorious reseller and is trying to flip it for a profit. 

Thank you, nice work Magnum P.I. 

I'll keep that in mind if I decide to grab it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's pictures of him in a Hyperlite catcher as well, but I can't find any pictures of him in a Mach glove or any set that matches the pattern on the glove. 

@seagoal I take this comment back. Here's Kevin in the same set as the listed glove:

Kevin-Mandolese2.thumb.jpeg.23f9ddc7b7f0a485259c118af6f2f93d.jpeg

I thought this was a CCM set at first lol. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

I made one of those little saves last night that felt good but not because it was explosive or amazing but because it was the result of hard work and discipline, committing to technical fundamentals.

In the RVH blocker side, puck carrier is a R shot and skating behind the net to my glove side, I start tracking him visually over my left shoulder and getting ready to push for a glove side wrap and he stops, does a 180 to his left and wraps a dunk attempt inside my blocker post.  My D yells "wrap right, wrap right" but I never took my right skate off the post so his dunk attempt just hit the boot of my pad and out. My eyes didn't get there to see it quite yet but I felt it.  One of those little moments only goalies would see.

Also, unrelated, @TheGoalNet I saw via your IG The Goalie Glove Guy.  Man, that dude does some nice looking work.  He's got a bunch of Youtube Shorts, too.  I'm glad I know about him now

If anyone wants to check him out, he does pocket relacing, glove cord relacing, rebuilds, repairs, modifications, break-ins, cleaning/sanitation, etc. 

https://www.instagram.com/thegoaliegloveguy/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXene3kxBFD2GQXZfnA6cbg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I made one of those little saves last night that felt good but not because it was explosive or amazing but because it was the result of hard work and discipline, committing to technical fundamentals.

In the RVH blocker side, puck carrier is a R shot and skating behind the net to my glove side, I start tracking him visually over my left shoulder and getting ready to push for a glove side wrap and he stops, does a 180 to his left and wraps a dunk attempt inside my blocker post.  My D yells "wrap right, wrap right" but I never took my right skate off the post so his dunk attempt just hit the boot of my pad and out. My eyes didn't get there to see it quite yet but I felt it.  One of those little moments only goalies would see.

Also, unrelated, @TheGoalNet I saw via your IG The Goalie Glove Guy.  Man, that dude does some nice looking work.  He's got a bunch of Youtube Shorts, too.  I'm glad I know about him now

If anyone wants to check him out, he does pocket relacing, glove cord relacing, rebuilds, repairs, modifications, break-ins, cleaning/sanitation, etc. 

Have you used him? I always hear about Factory Mad, but not this guy. Putting a glove under a pile of weights is the way I always hear and I dread the day I have to break a glove in.

7 minutes ago, ethanallen said:

Have you used him? I always hear about Factory Mad, but not this guy. Putting a glove under a pile of weights is the way I always hear and I dread the day I have to break a glove in.

Nope.  I was yesterday years old when I learned about this guy.

25 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Originally saw him after his collaboration with DKMobility guy. 

A lot of his videos feels like he's purposefully making the gloves he works on look like they don't close in the before shots. 

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Originally saw him after his collaboration with DKMobility guy. 

A lot of his videos feels like he's purposefully making the gloves he works on look like they don't close in the before shots. 

I always felt the same about Factory Mad, I love Dennis, but I couldn't image some of the gloves closed as badly as presented

I assumed that was just creative license for the video

1 minute ago, ethanallen said:

I want True like Marc Andre Fleury has, and coach okayed me getting that copper color. Now I have to see what works with my hand. There are so many closures. I guess go to Pure and see what works, huh?

Yes.

Buying a glove is all about feel and if you get one with the a closure that feels off or wrong to you you'll not really settle into the glove and feel confident.  If you have the ability to try on different angles, do it.

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Yes.

Buying a glove is all about feel and if you get one with the a closure that feels off or wrong to you you'll not really settle into the glove and feel confident.  If you have the ability to try on different angles, do it.

I like the closure of my Battram leather glove. So that's what I take with me.

• Like 1

Had a goalmouth contact last week with a buddy (himself a former goalie) while my D-man tried to gain position on him. Basically his body weight took my head in one direction, my own body pulled in the opposite direction, and my neck paid the price. Was pretty alarmed when it happened, as my left arm was all pins-and-needles for a few minutes. Luckily, one of the players on our team is a Doctor, so he did a quick check to make sure there were no signs of something serious. Obviously, I left the game. Guys were freaked out because while I never lost consciousness, they said I didn’t move at all for like 3-4 minutes. 

A day or two later, doesn’t seem any worse - so I continue in my coaching duties, and play the next game. The neck still hurts, but the pain gets worse after the game, spreading into my shoulder and bicep. Headaches and difficulty finding comfortable sleeping positions lead me to book an appointment with our physio.

Saw the physio today. I’m out for at least 4-6 weeks. Nerve injury in my neck down my arm. Physio says I’m “currently in the acute phase of the injury with highly elevated inflammation” and I can’t play until the nerve starts to generate scar tissue, pain recedes, and I can do abrupt movements- in a controlled fashion - without pain.

My buddy feels terrible, but it was just one of those freak accident type of things. I still haven’t processed that I’m probably not playing again until after Christmas…  that said, I’m very relieved that it wasn’t more serious.  But a fucking nerve in my fucking neck…(?) of all the things…

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Sad 4

One of our forwards collided with one of their BIG defensemen 2 weeks ago today. The result, a broken hip for our guy. He had hip replacement surgery the next morning. Yesterday he walks in the local A&W where we gather post game for a midday coffee. No crutches, no cane, no limp, surgery was 13 days ago. It was amazing. He said that it was a routine, zipper up the side , full hip replacement procedure but no hockey until Spring. He is 76 years young.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Had a goalmouth contact last week with a buddy (himself a former goalie) while my D-man tried to gain position on him. Basically his body weight took my head in one direction, my own body pulled in the opposite direction, and my neck paid the price. Was pretty alarmed when it happened, as my left arm was all pins-and-needles for a few minutes. Luckily, one of the players on our team is a Doctor, so he did a quick check to make sure there were no signs of something serious. Obviously, I left the game. Guys were freaked out because while I never lost consciousness, they said I didn’t move at all for like 3-4 minutes. 

A day or two later, doesn’t seem any worse - so I continue in my coaching duties, and play the next game. The neck still hurts, but the pain gets worse after the game, spreading into my shoulder and bicep. Headaches and difficulty finding comfortable sleeping positions lead me to book an appointment with our physio.

Saw the physio today. I’m out for at least 4-6 weeks. Nerve injury in my neck down my arm. Physio says I’m “currently in the acute phase of the injury with highly elevated inflammation” and I can’t play until the nerve starts to generate scar tissue, pain recedes, and I can do abrupt movements- in a controlled fashion - without pain.

My buddy feels terrible, but it was just one of those freak accident type of things. I still haven’t processed that I’m probably not playing again until after Christmas…  that said, I’m very relieved that it wasn’t more serious.  But a fucking nerve in my fucking neck…(?) of all the things…

Sucks to hear man. With a few other more senior members on this site getting injuries and having to take time away from the game, I keep knocking on wood that I've been able to remain healthy and play consistently. 

It's always amazing how quickly things can change for us being able to play the sport we love. 

Hope you heal quickly and fully dude. 

• Thanks 1