Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

The price of everything is getting stupid, it's stressful even if I can still live comfortably. It's really feeling like I'll never own a house unless I move somewhere I really rather not live.

On 9/11/2023 at 2:17 PM, seagoal said:

Just booked myself a vacation trip to Montreal in October and got myself a ticket to MTL v NJD.  Pretty excited to eat some good food, see the sights, and do some serious puck hunting for my collection.  I hope to get up to the local QMJHL arena to get one there, for sure, as well as a Canadiens one, of course. 

I'm hoping a certain Ottawaian/Ottawan/Ottawaster/Ottawaarian ???? on this forum makes the drive over to have some poutine and beers for lunch with me and take me to some gear shops........we shall see.

Wicked cool, have fun! My team is looking at playing the outdoor tournament up in at the outdoor rink in Northrop this coming January.

2 minutes ago, keeperton said:

The price of everything is getting stupid, it's stressful even if I can still live comfortably. It's really feeling like I'll never own a house unless I move somewhere I really rather not live.

Wicked cool, have fun! My team is looking at playing the outdoor tournament up in at the outdoor rink in Northrop this coming January.

Wait do you mean Winthrop, in WA?

15 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Yeah, conflated it with Northgate since I was down in CA last week.

Dude!  My team is slotted to the January tournament, at least the one affiliated with the Kraken Hockey League.  It's called the Great Puckaroo, is that the one you guys are trying to get in?  I know there are unaffiliated tournaments now and then each month, but the Puckaroo tournys are the main ones.  They happen in Nov, Dec, and Jan and this year our division got slotted in Jan.

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Dude!  My team is slotted to the January tournament, at least the one affiliated with the Kraken Hockey League.  It's called the Great Puckaroo, is that the one you guys are trying to get in?  I know there are unaffiliated tournaments now and then each month, but the Puckaroo tournys are the main ones.  They happen in Nov, Dec, and Jan and this year our division got slotted in Jan.

Yeah, we were going to try to get into the January slot. I'll re-up it to my team's captain tonight. We'd be the Buckaroos at The Great Puckaroo, it only makes sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Yeah, we were going to try to get into the January slot. I'll re-up it to my team's captain tonight. We'd be the Buckaroos at The Great Puckaroo, it only makes sense.

Totally makes sense.  It'd be so fun if you go.  They have this rule though that favors returning teams which makes it difficult for new teams to get in.  The waiting list is long every year but my team gets in every year.  We have already registered but not officially heard back yet. 

It's a wonderful, charming little town and these tournaments are a blast. It's such a beautiful place to play hockey outside.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Totally makes sense.  It'd be so fun if you go.  They have this rule though that favors returning teams which makes it difficult for new teams to get in.  The waiting list is long every year but my team gets in every year.  We have already registered but not officially heard back yet. 

It's a wonderful, charming little town and these tournaments are a blast. It's such a beautiful place to play hockey outside.

I pinged my captain to see if we're still (trying) to get in. He's thrown a few events out before, and we've never done much (admittedly COVID happened and fucked a lot of it up).

I've never gotten to play outdoors. Closest was at the back sheet in Wenatchee when I was 11, which was like playing in a carport with walls.

9 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I pinged my captain to see if we're still (trying) to get in. He's thrown a few events out before, and we've never done much (admittedly COVID happened and fucked a lot of it up).

I've never gotten to play outdoors. Closest was at the back sheet in Wenatchee when I was 11, which was like playing in a carport with walls.

Not to whet your whistle to much...

IMG_1456.jpg

IMG_4339.JPG

20221111_084441.jpg

Screenshot_20191112-095335_Photos.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, keeperton said:

I've looked other pictures of the place too. It seems impossible to take a photograph that makes it look horrible.

Truth.  There's a bald eagle nest there too so in addition to the other beautiful distractions you get them circling above the rink while playing.   

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Truth.  There's a bald eagle nest there too so in addition to the other beautiful distractions you get them circling above the rink while playing.   

Oddly enough, I live next to a spot with quite a few of their nests. One of my better friends in the area grew up with some basically out his back window and he hates them for how loud they can be, lol.

17 hours ago, keeperton said:

Oddly enough, I live next to a spot with quite a few of their nests. One of my better friends in the area grew up with some basically out his back window and he hates them for how loud they can be, lol.

I fish all summer up in no man's land, Maine. The eagles are loud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2023 at 2:04 PM, seagoal said:

Pretty heart warming story last night in the 40+ league last night.  Game 1 was last night. There was an unknown name on our roster with no rating.  I get the rink early of course and as I was passing the board with the locker room assignments, there was and older gentlemen looking up at it with his gear.  I asked him if he needed help and he said Yes.  He said he was on the White team, which is my team.  So I introduce myself and it's the unknown name on our roster.  So I give him the run down of the rink and the board, walk him to the locker room.  Turns out he's brand new to hockey and decided for his 60th birthday last year to treat himself to Learn To Play because he thought hockey looked so fun from watching Kraken games.  This was going to be his first real game ever and he was really nervous.  Super nice guy and as the boys started piling into the room, we all welcomed him and the boys started chirping him for his shiny new gear and giving him a good intro to hockey culture, haha.

Home boy got dressed WAY to quick in all his new gear but he did great. We ended up winning 4-1 and he spent a lot of time getting up from falling but he got a shot on goal, probably because of course, I let him score in warmies :)

Good times.  Hockey players are the best.

Love this, @seagoal! Thanks for taking the time to write it up! 
Man, I hope I can still play when I’m >60. Not that I can really play now … 

• Like 1

Hey all! Quick question, I'm curious about people's experiences with Don Simmons gear especially lately. I searched the board and apparently they closed in 19' and reopened in 21'. The website looks like it hasn't been updated much but the facebook page is showing some great new custom gear they've been working on: https://www.facebook.com/SimmonsHockey

Any thoughts on their gloves specifically? They've apparently become proficient at cloning true gloves and even have a 580 break option. 

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Throw a random one out here:

Anyone ever wear a team colours shell over their goalie pants…?

(yeah, that’s right ‘Merica: your honourable neighbours favour the “colour” spelling. Because it’s correct!)

I did , I had a couple CCM ones but I could only find skater shells so they are way too long.  I had my buddy hem them both and they ended up being great .

I eventually bought red pants though. 

_BLP5610.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

Me and my buddy got to do an hour training with one of the goalie coaches in the Kraken organization. It was really hard work but so worth it.  She noticed I had a "lazy trailer foot" when laterally transitioning up on my feet so we worked on that and did some really helpful wrap around/post work.  Good times.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 4

Update on my new league: they had a “draft night” at the bar near the arena last night. It was really just a great bunch of guys drinking beer, eating pizza, chirping each other and laughing. Then there may have been some karaoke…

The 6 team captains had  met earlier in the week , and sorted out the teams by committee, to ensure balance. So last night was really just the Captains going up and naming their rosters. I have ended up with the Whalers, which I’m super stoked about! As a Habs fan, I always admired our Adams-division rivals from Conec… Coneti… HARTFORD, and their sweaters have always been among my favourites. Here is our league’s spin in the classic.

Was hoping that I could leverage this into new gear to match the sweater, but my lawyer wife saw right through my bullshit arguments, and I had to settle with new vinyl for my mask. I might sneak a roll of green tape into the house if I can find the right shade…

IMG_5389.jpeg

IMG_5391.webp

• Like 1