Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

One of our forwards collided with one of their BIG defensemen 2 weeks ago today. The result, a broken hip for our guy. He had hip replacement surgery the next morning. Yesterday he walks in the local A&W where we gather post game for a midday coffee. No crutches, no cane, no limp, surgery was 13 days ago. It was amazing. He said that it was a routine, zipper up the side , full hip replacement procedure but no hockey until Spring. He is 76 years young.

Oh! So here I was thinking I got injured because I’m too old (ish). From your example, it seems that the problem is that I’m not old ENOUGH! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Sucks to hear man. With a few other more senior members on this site getting injuries and having to take time away from the game, I keep knocking on wood that I've been able to remain healthy and play consistently. 

It's always amazing how quickly things can change for us being able to play the sport we love. 

Hope you heal quickly and fully dude. 

All I would comment here - and I’m confident you’re one of those people - is to enjoy every ice time! As you say, we are getting to play the sport we love.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Did you bag your pads? 

Yup they were in the bag. The part that's stained was facing the bottom of the bag. Not sure what on earth could've caused the dye to bleed that bad. Thought it was the rain but since water can't get the dye out of the pads we're thinking a chemical

• Sad 2

21 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Coop's looking good with his movements and his style. 

Seems to be following my footsteps well. 😎

My Youtube algorithm decided I need to see this coach's content and I'm very grateful for it.  I love this guy. If only I lived near Saskatchewan .

On TNT last night Anson Carter said goaltending is the weakest position in the league right now. He said this during a highlight package of the game between St. Louis and Arizona that ended 6-5. The highlights clearly showed little to no defense being played. Meanwhile, the game they were covering, Dallas and Vegas, was tied at one. Keep in mind Adin Hill came from the Arizona organization and was not highly regarded because of it. Also Vegas plays decent defense.

Am I wrong thinking that he is incorrect? There must be some advanced metrics that can show one way or another how good or bad goalies are performing. I would argue that modern goalies see more high quality chances than in most eras. Also I’d argue that offense is more dangerous than ever.

I would guess any NHL goalie from today dropped into any previous era would do quite well. Meanwhile, other era goalies dropped into today’s game would struggle.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Man, I got to use my new stick last night and it made me realize how noodley mine had become.  That's one part of being a pro that has to be so damn nice is being able to never use noodley sticks.  I can't imagine needing new gear otherwise all too often, but sticks?  Absolutely.  It'd be so nice.

My buddy also gave me a Warrior 25 M......series? stick.  Unfortunately, it's in that Warrior mid/Quick curve which I hate.  Oh well.

16 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Man, I got to use my new stick last night and it made me realize how noodley mine had become.  That's one part of being a pro that has to be so damn nice is being able to never use noodley sticks.  I can't imagine needing new gear otherwise all too often, but sticks?  Absolutely.  It'd be so nice.

My buddy also gave me a Warrior 25 M......series? stick.  Unfortunately, it's in that Warrior mid/Quick curve which I hate.  Oh well.

I've been using the same V1 Pro since July 2021. I have two M2 E's that I've been sitting on as backups for awhile now that I'm itching to use. 

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time just not using the V1 until it literally dies on me. Which is soon, but not soon enough lol. 

I want that new composite snap back, but I can live for now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been using the same V1 Pro since July 2021. I have two M2 E's that I've been sitting on as backups for awhile now that I'm itching to use. 

Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time just not using the V1 until it literally dies on me. Which is soon, but not soon enough lol. 

I want that new composite snap back, but I can live for now. 

For sure, that's my experience as well.  I bought 3 V2s 2 years ago and have been cycling them playing 3 times a week pretty regularly.  I don't mind them at all given how noodley they are, I find that Warriors age well, in general.  But going to a brand new one just made me notice the difference.   I play the puck a lot, too, so it really stood out.

On 11/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, Snowman30 said:

Just heard a few hours ago that Andy Moog has been diagnosed with cancer. Don't know which one it is but very sad to hear. Thoughts are with him and his family in this tough time. Post below from Mike Vaughn. 

Screenshot_20231123_221252_Instagram.jpg

I was sad to see this.  I started watching hockey in the 90s when Moog was the goalie in Dallas.  He was my first favorite goalie ever. 

8 minutes ago, seagoal said:

For sure, that's my experience as well.  I bought 3 V2s 2 years ago and have been cycling them playing 3 times a week pretty regularly.  I don't mind them at all given how noodley they are, I find that Warriors age well, in general.  But going to a brand new one just made me notice the difference.   I play the puck a lot, too, so it really stood out.

Warrior's are just excellent sticks. There's reason they're top dog in the NHL. 

Plus they're pretty. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

No; Warrior.

Wait… What??? Are you saying Warrior sticks are all made  by True???

Everything I thought I knew is a lie! 

😋

My dad (RIP) used to wonder when True would come out with their own stick because he said they made so many other peoples sticks. I will have to dig in my dad's player sticks, because he has an old Combat player stick that has the TrueTemper branding on it. I will post a pic when I find it. 

Played in a Thanksgiving weekend 4-on-4 tourney on Black Friday, each team got (3) 30 minute running clock games, no icing/offsides, all penalties were penalty shops, pretty much no stoppages.  It was a fun time, we went 3-0.  Most of the guys were beer leaguers in various divisions (mostly upper C/B league).  One team we played plays out of another rink, we beat them a couple times in a summer tourney but there wasn't any bad blood or anything.  

Their goalie, who I've never seen before, was an absolute prick.  Right off the bat he was throwing hands at guys skating by, caught one of our guys with his blocker when he was cutting around the net, nut shotted another guy twice when he was in front- not even in the crease.  Constantly chirping and being an all around prick.  He let in a couple early on, but that didn't stop him from talking shit.  Eventually he let in one from the red line because he was too busy giving shit to one of our guys in front, but dude still chirped after that.  

They got a penalty shot, I stopped it glove side, he starts yelling shit at me...while we're up 4-0.  They finally scored one off of a 2-on-1, one timer to their guy from the slot, and dude says to me, "that went in between your legs btw"....I'm like yeah I know dude, it's 4-1.  We scored one more to make it 5-1 and I started tapping my stick loudly, other goalie was flailing his arms and yelling shit at me 😅.  

After the game, I said "you did good out there bud", then he started talking shit to my team as we skated off the ice.  Never come across another goalie act like such a jackoff while getting clowned on the ice.  

Edited by jerd31