Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

Goodbye Hockey. ......... I am playing my final game on Friday, March 29.

For years my body has been complaining. This time I have listened.

It has been a grand run, 75-80 games per year with my 55+ team and more recently we've morphed into a 70+ squad.

Of course I'll miss it, over 65 years of being a goalie. But following hip, knee and shoulder surgeries the arthritis has won !@#$%^&*. So at age 74 I'm hanging them up. I won't be selling any gear as my Granddaughter is following the Family Curse and is now a 'tender.

It is my plan to drop in every once in a while on this site and take the temperature. But probably won't have much to offer, as if I ever have.

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Sad 7

This is a sad day then. You've been an inspiration to me and your example has motivated me to keep trying to get back. Like they say, father time is undefeated but you sure kicked his ass for a very long time. Congrats!

P.S. You have a lifetime of experience and wisdom to share. Please dont fade out.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

It has been a grand run, 75-80 games per year with my 55+ team and more recently we've morphed into a 70+ squad.

Of course I'll miss it, over 65 years of being a goalie. But following hip, knee and shoulder surgeries the arthritis has won !@#$%^&*. So at age 74 I'm hanging them up. I won't be selling any gear as my Granddaughter is following the Family Curse and is now a 'tender.

It is my plan to drop in every once in a while on this site and take the temperature. But probably won't have much to offer, as if I ever have.

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

Hate to see you go man, but it's been a pleasure. 

I hope I can last as long in net as you 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

Incredibly impressive 🙏👊

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

Hate to hear that... Enjoy your retirement!

• Like 1

@Wonder35 - as I think I’ve said here before (and as others have more or less said), when (if?) I grow up, I wanna be like Wonder! 
I really hope you keep contributing, as the value of your posts goes way beyond what you were doing on the ice in a contemporary sense. Also thrilled to hear you have a granddaughter playing between the pipes; seeing my dad enjoy watching my son play has given me a bit of insight into how special that is for a grandparent.

You’re a beauty, Steve! 

• Like 3

On 3/9/2024 at 10:40 PM, Wonder35 said:

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

It inevitably happens to all of us....sooner or later, but 74/65 is unreal. Please keep contributing - it is allways pleasure to read your posts!   

• Like 1

Some of it. Today playing at 6 am my 47 year old legs were not pleased at me. And my hips - woof.

IIHF head contact rule is where the NHL needs to go:

The IIHF’s rule around illegal checks to the head is far stricter than the NHL’s. From Rule 48:

There is no clean check to the head or neck. The Player delivering the hit must avoid hitting the opponent’s head or neck.

A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head was the main point of contact and such contact to the head was avoidable is not permitted. This rule supersedes all similar actions regarding hits to the head and neck.

When a Player is skating with their head up, whether they are in possession of the puck and may reasonably be expecting impending contact, an opponent does not have the right to hit them on the head or neck.

A Player who delivers a bodycheck to an opponent who is skating with the puck with their head down in the direction of the Player and does not use an upward motion or drive their body up into the opponent, shall not be penalized for an “illegal check to the head”. 

A penalty for illegal checking to the head or neck will be assessed if one of the following occurs when a player checks an opponent:

(I) A Player who directs a hit of any sort, with any part of their body or equipment, to the head or neck of an opposing Player or drives or forces the head of an opposing Player into the protective glass or boards using any part of their upper body.

(II) A Player who extends and directs any part of their upper body to contact the head or neck of an opponent.

(III) A Player who extends their body upward or outward in order to reach their opponent or uses any part of the upper body to contact an opponent’s head or neck.

(IV) A Player who jumps (leaves their skates) to deliver a blow to the head or neck of an opponent.

In determining whether contact with an opponent’s head was avoidable, the circumstances of the hit including the following shall be considered:

(V) Whether the Player attempted to hit squarely through the opponent’s body and the head was not “picked” as a result of poor timing, poor angle of approach, or unnecessary extension of the body upward or outward. If the primary force of a blow is initially to the body area and then contact slides up to the head or neck.

(VI) Whether the opponent put themself in a vulnerable position by assuming a posture that made head contact on an otherwise full body check unavoidable.

(VII) Whether the opponent materially changed the position of their body or head immediately prior to or simultaneously with the hit in a way that significantly contributed to the head contact.

Referees may issue either a minor penalty or a match penalty for this infraction.

The Referee, at their discretion, may assess a Match Penalty if, in their judgment, the Player recklessly endangers their opponent by an “illegal check to the head or neck”. Such assessment of reckless endangerment shall be based on the severity of the infraction, severity of the contact, the degree of violence and the general reprehensibility involved.

I think they need to also take away the game pay of any player too that is booted from the game for head contact. Not sure if game misconducts are already pay deducted. ( I know it's a $200 fine from the league already)

I know these kids are all faster than ever and of varying sizes - but they are the best in the world at this game and need to control how they hit opposing players regardless of your/ their size and shape.

I know the glass is much softer and way flexy (good) but I wonder too if the height of it along the sides could come down some to allow guys to hit their body along the boards and have room to swing their head. They already penalize them for shooting over the glass.

I wonder if the Rangers have a plan for this young giant. Would he have to be put on waivers to be sent down to the minors for a spell?

I am probably being too rosy eyed to think that this could be a solution. He sells tickets and has probably become a home town hero.

On 3/9/2024 at 4:40 PM, Wonder35 said:

Cheers y'all

Steve Berry

West Kelowna, BC

Canada 

DSC_5942.jpeg

Enjoy everything you'll given to the game. The memories will last forever.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just sold my last Pete Smith glove. I had a few of them I was hoarding for myself. Haven't used them in a while. Figured I'd let them go to other goalies who will use them.

You're welcome goalie gods.

Is Turbo Tax as good as using an accountant? I always used a family member for my taxes - but due to family conflicts - I'm not this year.

It's just me and my one job for taxes. Really straightforward. 

I ran them through turbo tax already but didn't file yet. Was looking to ensure this was my best bet.

49 minutes ago, MTH said:

Is Turbo Tax as good as using an accountant? I always used a family member for my taxes - but due to family conflicts - I'm not this year.

I ran them through turbo tax already but didn't file yet. Was looking to ensure this was my best bet.

Wife and I use Turbo Tax (Canada) for years without issues. She works in two Provinces and I work in one. We have one dependent and one rental property. 

It's been pretty straight forward and easy and considering how relatively simple our taxes are, we don't see a requirement to take it to an actual accountant. 

Maybe I'd be able to save a few bucks here or there with an expert going over things, but the added cost essentially makes that moot. 

For you? I can't imagine why you'd need to take them in unless there's still outstanding items with the split. 

32 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

And so it ends ……….. my final game.

Me and my Dummy.

Anyone here care to describe my RVH?  

IMG_9229.jpeg

IMG_9234.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

IMG_9282.jpeg

IMG_9228.jpeg

IMG_9362.jpeg

IMG_9367.jpeg

IMG_9366.jpeg

IMG_1959.jpeg

What RVH? 

Congratulations dude. I'm sure the night was bitter sweet and I hope life treats you well down the road. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Congratulations dude. I'm sure the night was bitter sweet and I hope life treats you well down the road.

What RVH?  

Exactly ....... I don't even know (or care) what RVH means.  TTFN

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Are you taking the standard deduction?  Really no reason to use an accountant if you are.  You can even just use the free tax service from them.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MTH said:

Turbotax should be just fine if you've filing Single, have only one job, are taking the standard deduction. Super basic stuff.

An accountant can help if there's more moving parts. Investment income, side business, rental property, itemized deductions, thinking of contributing to a traditional IRA, etc. But they can be pricey. Turbotax should serve 90% of the populace pretty decently - I say this as a CPA with his own tax practice.

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...