Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

We got an interesting email yesterday from our hockey league:

as players in the Kraken League, we were invited to register for an opportunity to play in 1 of 2 games on the Winter Classic rink at T-mobile Park.  Registration gets you in a pool from which they will randomly draw 15 skaters and 1 goalie per team for each game.  We have to pay $295 up front and if selected, we get a scrimmage with our team at the practice rink, our game at T-mobile, use of the MLB Visitors locker rooms, and an "event jersey."

Intriguing but  $$ oof $$.  I have to decide today.  Thinking I'm out since I'm already going to/paying for an outdoor tournament in January and I am trying to save up for new gear in 2024.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

We got an interesting email yesterday from our hockey league:

as players in the Kraken League, we were invited to register for an opportunity to play in 1 of 2 games on the Winter Classic rink at T-mobile Park.  Registration gets you in a pool from which they will randomly draw 15 skaters and 1 goalie per team for each game.  We have to pay $295 up front and if selected, we get a scrimmage with our team at the practice rink, our game at T-mobile, use of the MLB Visitors locker rooms, and an "event jersey."

Intriguing but  $$ oof $$.  I have to decide today.  Thinking I'm out since I'm already going to/paying for an outdoor tournament in January and I am trying to save up for new gear in 2024.

That's rad. What happens if you pay the $295 and you aren't selected?

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Honestly, how often are you going to get the chance to play on the Winter Classic ice? I know you do the outdoor tournament every year, but this is one of those "one time only" type of chance. 

I'd say go for it. I don't think you'd have any regrets going at all. 

If not, just put my name in instead and I'll go. 

• Like 4

How far of a drive is it from Philly to Seattle? You'll regret not trying to get in. $300 is what, 3 tanks of gas in your vehicle?

When the Flyers had it at the Phillies stadium years ago I went and did public skating on the rink. The ice was as bad as the parking lots. I learned that they actually spent a week building up the ice leading to the Winter Classic game, then just dry cut it the week after for all the other events on the ice. By the time I got on the ice, there wasn't much left. Also explained why there was a HUGE pile of snow from the Zamboni on the side of the field.

One of my buddies is getting his helmet painted this week and he's sharing all the teaser pics with me.  His first custom piece of gear.  I'm being reminded of how giddy we get with that stuff.  Pretty neat.

He's gonna be the 4th goalie that I'm aware of in our league with a painted helmet from Jason Livery. 

On 11/29/2023 at 4:27 PM, Lucky Pucker said:

Well, now the QB has planted the seed of doubt… are they laughing WITH me, or AT me…?

meh - scoring points either way.

Also a good time to point out that the leaders in points, posts, and possibly ratio are CANADIAN. Just saying…

Joking aside, it’s people like you, @seagoal, @MTH, @Chenner29, @ThatCarGuy and a host of others that make this site work. @SaveByRichter35 too, back in the day. Miss that guy, hope he’s enjoying life.

image.gif.d798fabe85adc926b47f4508dae9fe71.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Purely anecdotal based on what I've seen from games on the tube. I think the goalies are terrific. When our "down game" took completely over, the goalies dominated for a long time. However, the skaters and offensive systems have adapted. Almost every shot is bar down, at the 6 and 7 holes, or plays designed to get the puck to the weak side. I also think the VH or reverse VH is being exploited by the forwards such as Nylander's goal last night and Bedard looks for it and tries to shoot at that area every game. They are waiting for the goalie to drop and shooting at the shoulder, head, or the small opening above the goalie. As a runt, I sometimes dont understand why a big man who is over 6' tall gets beat up top. I am not arguing for a return of the standup "style" - those days have gone the way of the dodo bird - but the mechanical drop to the butterfly at the time of the shot's release might be overused with today's skaters. 

Edited by Fullright

5 minutes ago, Fullright said:

I also think the VH or reverse VH is being exploited by the forwards such as Nylander's goal last night and Bedard looks for it and tries to shot at that area every game. They are waiting for the goalie to drop and shooting at the shoulder, head, or the small opening above the goalie. As a runt, I sometimes dont understand why a big man who is over 6' tall gets beat up top. I am not arguing for a return of the standup "style" - those days have gone the way of the dodo bird - but the mechanical drop to the butterfly at the time of the shot's release might be overused with today's skaters.

I completely agree with this as do my goalie coaches. My head coach however can't make up his mind between being annoyed at me for standing up on the post for dead angle shots and telling me that rvh and vh are ruining my game and causing goals

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chicago sports fans stick together! I would love Bedard to… nevermind. Just happened to stumble acrosd this and thought it was funny. 

B38110AD-6ED7-4083-8CF2-55524E2C5192.jpeg
Petition to start another forum called @theboobnet? Or we could make the boob forum sponsored by breckie hill

Edited by A.YOUNGoalie13
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When your team shits the bed, and loses 5-0 to the last place team, all they can really do is sheepishly give you the Player of the Game hat, I guess. I know I played well, as guys from the other team and even the refs were like “how did you even save that???”

I responded to my team with this:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C1j2ZeVr6aV/?igsh=MXEzZDZxYng3a3k1ZA==

We have a great room, so I know they can take it 😉

IMG_5751.jpeg

Edited by Lucky Pucker
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

IMG_1265.jpeg.21472fbe7737f9c7fd4579ef4dfd0977.jpeg

Just got done playing five nights in a row. Haven’t done that in a while. I slept pretty soundly last night. 

I'm playing my 5th game of the week tonight (thankfully I had a day off Wednesday).  I'm starting to feel it, I told my lower level group (we have two teams split in lower divisions) that I'm not playing for one of them next season, and will do part time on the other.  Still looks like I'll have at least two, most likely three, full time teams next season, with another part time (plus I sub for a bunch of teams).  

• Like 1