Pekka Rinne Retires

seagoal

A lot of you on here know that over the past 10 years or so one of my favorite goalies in the NHL was Pekka Rinne.  Maybe you noticed my avatar on here too....

Anyway, I saw on here this morning that he retired.  Sad news, but also happy news.  By all accounts Rinne was a top notch human being and a damned good goaltender to boot.  Not always on the best teams in Nashville over the years, but he was always solid, as his career numbers show.  Peks didn't always have the best, most inspiring gear, but he did have a couple of spectacular sets (see picture bomb below).

What I did love about Rinne the most, and what probably drew me to him a decade or so ago, were his masks.  Not a huge fan of DaveArt overall but Rinne's mask were always among my favorites and the mask in my avatar on here is my single favorite mask of all time...so much so that it has inspired my next mask paintjob (more on that later in another thread on here).

Anyway, here are the news items from today on Rinne, some of his gear and of course his masks over the years.  Enjoy and please salute Peks with your beers today.  Cheers to #35.

Pekka Rinne #35

Born 1982 in Kempele, Finland.  6 foot 5, 217 pounds.

Drafted 2004 NSH, 8th rd, 31st pk (258th overall)

Career Stats

image.thumb.png.c254bad4932dab1ad9b1ee03787fa847.png

All time leader in games, starts, wins, and shutouts for a Finnish goalie and all time is 19th in wins and shutouts for all NHL goalies.  GAA is 4th among NHL goalies with 350 games, behind Hasek, Brodeur, and Plante, and he among 12 goalies all time with 350 wins and 60 shutouts, of those 8 are in the Hall of Fame.

Vezina winner in 2018

Today's media

Predators website

https://www.nhl.com/predators/news/predators-goaltender-pekka-rinne-announces-retirement-from-nhl/c-325639954

NHL.com

https://www.nhl.com/news/pekka-rinne-retires/c-325640590

Thank you letter from Rinne, himself (no, I did NOT cry reading this, stop it)

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/pekka-rinne-nhl-hockey-nashville-predators-retirement-annoucement

Some of his gear over the years

Pekka Rinne: The Return – Admirals Roundtable

Tendy Gear on Twitter: "Pekka Rinne (Nashville Predators) Reebok P4  glove/blocker with Bauer TotalOne pads http://t.co/T0pRWDPDij"

Pekka Rinne To Play for Finland at IIHF World Championships | InGoal  Magazine

Pekka Rinne makes a sweet glove save in his Bauer... | Tendysetups

Coach's analysis: Predators should remain confident in Pekka Rinne

Pekka Rinne One Win Away From Completing Remarkable Journey to Stanley Cup  Final - Last Word On Hockey

Predators Sign Pekka Rinne to 2-Year, $10 Million Contract - On the  Forecheck

Stanley Cup Pekka Rinne NHL Fan Apparel & Souvenirs for sale | eBay

BREAKING: Pekka Rinne Retires After 15 Years With The Nashville Predators -  The Sports Credential

NHL Hockey Night in North America | Predators vs. Kings - Picks

Pekka Rinne has rough start to return from injury | For The Win

Pekka Rinne's diving save in Game 4 made Finnish broadcasters very excited

New Father Rinne Intent on Having Bounce-Back Season with Preds

Pekka Rinne continues to prove he deserves a statue on Broadway

Weekly Edge: One of these Nashville Predators goalies needs to step up

Juuse Saros vs. Pekka Rinne: Who has the edge to start in net for the  Predators? – The Athletic

Juuse Saros or Pekka Rinne in the playoffs? The answer might not be so  simple – The Athletic

Nashville Predators: Pekka Rinne at Center Stage for Season Finale

Rinne or Saros?: The Predators Will Need to Rely on Both This Postseason -  On the Forecheck

His best set ever

Tendy Gear on Twitter: "Pekka Rinne Nashville Predators CCM E-Flex 4 setup…  "

2018-2019 Nashville Predators Player Reviews: Pekka Rinne - On the Forecheck

Apr 20, 2019; Nashville, TN, USA; Nashville Predators goaltender Pekka  Rinne (35) is unable to stop a slap shot from Dallas Stars center Jason  Dickinson (16) during the third period in game

Pekka Rinne | Smirfitts Speech

And of course, some of his awesome monster masks. For my money, taken busy DaveArt masks as a given, Rinne did it the absolute best.

Pekka Rinne goes full Iron Man for his latest Nashville Predators mask -  Article - Bardown

Check out Pekka Rinne's excellent new "Gladiator" mask design - The Hockey  News on Sports Illustrated

PHOTO: Pekka Rinne's new mask features a Facehugger from 'Alien' -  CBSSports.com

NHL on Twitter: "From the design to the colors, Pekka Rinne's new mask is  not one to mess with. It's going to look real sharp in action. 😉 (via  @daveartofficial)… https://t.co/qgoDAwH39o"

Poile believes in Rinne's ability to lead Preds: 'I don't think it's over'  | theScore.com

Photos: Best of Pekka Rinne in 2018-19

2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Pekka Rinne Deserves Conn Smythe Trophy

Sabres vs. Predators | Nashville predators hockey, Predators hockey,  Nashville predators

Rexrode: Old? Kale-guzzling Pekka Rinne begs to differ

The artwork on the mask of Nashville Predators goalie Pekka Rinne is...  News Photo - Getty Images

HbD Masks: 2015-16 Bucket Preview (Part 1) | Hockey By Design

Pin on Goalie Masks

And my favorite mask of all time.  Couple slightly different variations, but this version of his monster mask was so good.

image.jpeg.57e1a3ab36488aa315a361b7585fc020.jpeg

Top 30 Goalie Masks in the NHL | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and  Highlights

REMINGTON: The Top 100 NHL Goalie Masks -- 60-51 | Zone Coverage

Happy Retirement Peks. 

Pekka Rinne | Nashville Predators | The Players’ Tribune

14,173 Rinne Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Anytime. I've always loved Rinne as a goalie so seeing him score that goal is still one of my favourite highlights of his.

Yeah, I was watching that game live too.  I popped pretty hard for that.

I love that his last game at home was a shutout in front of his new baby and his fiance.  He mentioned that in his letter.   Pretty sweet.

• Like 1

Just now, CJ Boiss said:

Sad to see him go. Excited to see lots of Saros highlight packs over the next few years.

Yes, for sure.  Saros is a favorite of mine too.  It's so fun to see a small goalie playing so well in the NHL.  His style is crazy explosive and agile and he among the quicker, most flexible, and most nimble goalies in the show, I'd say.

I love the photos of him next to Rinne.  Their size difference is so dramatic.

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

So Pekka retires.

Will Sarro take the number 1 spot?

Will Kasimir come back eventually?

Who is left to fill in #2?

Saros, for sure is #1 and after him they should just sign Bones and get it over with.  You know him?  By far my favorite goalie Youtuber, other than Future Pro Goaltending, of course.  Kasimir is solid too. 

Oh hey look at this :)

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Saros, for sure is #1 and after him they should just sign Bones and get it over with.  You know him?  By far my favorite goalie Youtuber, other than Future Pro Goaltending, of course.  Kasimir is solid too. 

Saw it. Bonesy would have to start in their East Coast affiliate first to see how he can handle himself I'm guessing. As for Kas, he took a career decision for himself and his family. Signed in the SHL. Don't know if it's 1 or 2 seasons.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Saros, for sure is #1 and after him they should just sign Bones and get it over with.  You know him?  By far my favorite goalie Youtuber, other than Future Pro Goaltending, of course. 

What, you don't love the title bait videos of little substance from Trav4Oilers?

I still remember when he made save compilation videos.

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Saw it. Bonesy would have to start in their East Coast affiliate first to see how he can handle himself I'm guessing. As for Kas, he took a career decision for himself and his family. Signed in the SHL. Don't know if it's 1 or 2 seasons.

Ah, news to me.  I saw he was dressed for Rinne's last game, for some reason Saros was not.

12 hours ago, seagoal said:

Pretty sure Kaz is playing in Sweden now. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
50 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Congratulations Pekka! You will be missed. I loved seeing Pekka's active hands saves. 

Me too.   He said in an interview he started that by watching baseball catchers.  He started by trying to make glove saves on typical belly save shots.  One of the best gloves in the game for many years.