Death Metal

The Teal Terror

Let’s not forget about The Godfather of Death metal, the band Death. In the nineties, Chuck Schuldiner, the vocalist and guitarist would assemble all-star musicians for each album and ushered in technical death metal. Sadly he got brain cancer and died relatively young.

Cynic and Meshuggah are two other bands in that mold. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Let’s not forget about The Godfather of Death metal, the band Death. In the nineties, Chuck Schuldiner, the vocalist and guitarist would assemble all-star musicians for each album and ushered in technical death metal. Sadly he got brain cancer and died relatively young.

Death came across my spotify about a year or so ago with their instrumental Voice of the Soul.

I'm a sucker for mid/late 90's thrash

19 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I tried to get into Death, but I struggled a bit. But they are historic within the scene.

Meshuggah are gods to me. Huge fan. Cynic, that first album gets played a lot! But the later stuff? I can appreciate the musicianship, but, again, I struggle.

47 minutes ago, The Teal Terror said:

I tried to get into Death, but I struggled a bit. But they are historic within the scene.

Meshuggah are gods to me. Huge fan. Cynic, that first album gets played a lot! But the later stuff? I can appreciate the musicianship, but, again, I struggle.

Meshuggah is pretty damn good. I need to listen to more of their music, so far my favorite of theirs is Future Breed Machine, those riffs man. Heard their newer stuff isn’t as good, though. 

Edited by southpawtendy48

On 10/5/2021 at 8:37 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Meshuggah is pretty damn good. I need to listen to more of their music, so far my favorite of theirs is Future Breed Machine, those riffs man. Heard their newer stuff isn’t as good, though. 

Meshuggah are in a league of their own. Destroy Erase Improve is a good album, but they found their sound (in my opinion) with Chaosphere. Check out their later stuff for sure, you won’t be disappointed!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, The Teal Terror said:

👌😁 I’m English, so I can’t be mad at Judas Priest! 

They're my all time fav.. last time I saw them live was summer 2019 before the kung flu. The only thing that sucked was that they opened for Deep Purple and didn't get the full PA output. Couldn't really here Scott Travis' snare etc ... I was kinda bummed about  it but it was still bad ass. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scythe said:

They're my all time fav.. last time I saw them live was summer 2019 before the kung flu. The only thing that sucked was that they opened for Deep Purple and didn't get the full PA output. Couldn't really here Scott Travis' snare etc ... I was kinda bummed about  it but it was still bad ass. 

Regardless, you still saw Priest. I’ve seen loads of bands over the years, which I really wanted to see. But they didn’t always have the greatest sound. But it didn’t matter!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/7/2021 at 8:29 PM, The Teal Terror said:

Regardless, you still saw Priest. I’ve seen loads of bands over the years, which I really wanted to see. But they didn’t always have the greatest sound. But it didn’t matter!

I saw the Misfits in 1996 in Atlanta. They are one of my favorite all-time bands, I know every song by heart, but their sound live was so bad I could hardly recognize their songs (plus it wasn't Danzig on vocals, but that's a different topic). Anthrax opened, but their set was cut short because Scott Ian got hit in the head with a bottle. Just an overall bad night.

• Like 1

Saw Priest twice during the 80s;  Dave Holland was on the skins.  Greatest show ever. Tipton's lead in to Victim of Changes was amazing. They were so loud. Heard everything during the shows but my ears rang for 2 days after each concert. Only regret is I didnt get to see them when Les Binks was the drummer. Believe or not, legend is that he came up with the guitar sound for Beyond the Realms of Death. I like all the bands mentioned here but Priest will always be my fav and Stained Class is the greatest album ever. Just my HO.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I cannot handle country. Sorry to my wife who loves it and the other fans of it here. I just dont understand how many different ways they can make songs about pickup trucks, beer, and someone stealing someone's girl. The knockout blow for me was when country began to be used in Applebee's commercials. Wifey told me they were real songs; I thought they were just jingles for the ads. I was mortified. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, Fullright said:

I cannot handle country. Sorry to my wife who loves it and the other fans of it here. I just dont understand how many different ways they can make songs about pickup trucks, beer, and someone stealing someone's girl. The knockout blow for me was when country began to be used in Applebee's commercials. Wifey told me they were real songs; I thought they were just jingles for the ads. I was mortified. 

I'm never a fan of country until it's 10pm around the campfire during hunting season and I'm shittered. 

Becomes tolerable then. 

There's a lot of really bad formulaic country out there, especially anything that's been played on the radio in the last decade or so. There's some great music from older artists like Kenny Rogers, Cash, George Jones, etc. Some newer guys are putting out good stuff as well, they're just not that mainstream. Tyler Childers, Jason Isbell, Ashley McBryde, even some of Midland's stuff is okay.

Anyways, back on topic. I just found Lorna Shore's "Into The Hellfire" the other day. Wow. Great song.