3M Tape for Sliding? PPF Film

GoalieNut

@OldSchoolGoalie Yeah I'd recommend only putting in on the knee block that un-velcros, that way that little strip of Jenpro friction on the end might help you have some control. I have the Warrior g2s which does something similar. From what I've read here, if you wrap the film around the sides of the knee block all the way up to the velcro, then that stuff is almost never going to come off unless you take it off, and that matches my limited experience with them. Curing time didn't seem to make a difference for me, although it might be ideal.

For what it's worth, in my experience I played much worse the 2 times I had it on because I couldn't control it. Take that with a grain of salt as it might just be my technique, but It might be better to experiment in a stick time instead, or just put the film on half the block (which is the mod I'm going to try next). 

Edited by IpaddyTECH

1 hour ago, IpaddyTECH said:

@OldSchoolGoalie Yeah I'd recommend only putting in on the knee block that un-velcros, that way that little strip of Jenpro friction on the end might help you have some control. I have the Warrior g2s which does something similar. From what I've read here, if you wrap the film around the sides of the knee block all the way up to the velcro, then that stuff is almost never going to come off unless you take it off, and that matches my limited experience with them. Curing time didn't seem to make a difference for me, although it might be ideal.

For what it's worth, in my experience I played much worse the 2 times I had it on because I couldn't control it. Take that with a grain of salt as it might just be my technique, but It might be better to experiment in a stick time instead, or just put the film on half the block (which is the mod I'm going to try next). 

What I did for my test is put only a 7.5cm by 10cm piece in the centerish as I tried doing a full wrap and it looked so awful and had creases and bumps (I did such a sloppy job attempting to get it done fast):
image.png.c70c72489bbd7486f9d3d4883748cc47.png

I tried to round the corners a bit to reduce a corner lifting but I'll see how it holds up. I was worried I would be over sliding big time if I had too much applied. Even with 7.5cm by 10cm it still covers a lot of the block.

Thankfully I am good at catching an edge when sliding. I've done some crazy slides on a quick play only to have a fast pass when I thought a shot would happen so I had to catch an edge and redirect fast. I'll play around during warm up and see.

• Like 1

Update -- Everything seems to hold up so far. Sadly on a quick pass I went to slide over from the far left to the far right and yea... it was like going 3x faster and went beyond my target! 🤣 After that happened I was able to catch myself so no more problems. I also found sliding to use 70% less effort than without it. Regardless of how bad the ice is the sliding seemed consistent from start to finish.

Overall, well worth it!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Update -- Everything seems to hold up so far. Sadly on a quick pass I went to slide over from the far left to the far right and yea... it was like going 3x faster and went beyond my target! 🤣 After that happened I was able to catch myself so no more problems. I also found sliding to use 70% less effort than without it. Regardless of how bad the ice is the sliding seemed consistent from start to finish.

Overall, well worth it!

Nice, those are great results. Yeah I need to get my film tuned in. We play a lot of pick up with no Zambonis, so towards the end I can give a maximum effort push and barely slide 3 ft haha 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Nice, those are great results. Yeah I need to get my film tuned in. We play a lot of pick up with no Zambonis, so towards the end I can give a maximum effort push and barely slide 3 ft haha 

Yea, that sucks! Some of my ice times are right after the figure skaters or some drills with youth hockey, and zero flood so the ice is at its worst!

This mod is actually very nice and I'm glad I came across it.

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, IpaddyTECH said:

That's great news! Do you feel like you've adjusted to the speed and don't overslide too badly?

Yes, I'm not finding it to be an issue really, but I couldn't imagine putting additional tape in addition to where my knee block is. I think if I had more tape on then I would be over sliding non-stop. Just having a bit on the knee block gives me that extra slide but doesn't take away control.

6 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Yes, I'm not finding it to be an issue really, but I couldn't imagine putting additional tape in addition to where my knee block is. I think if I had more tape on then I would be over sliding non-stop. Just having a bit on the knee block gives me that extra slide but doesn't take away control.

That's great news. I'm adding film to half of each knee stack this week and I'll be testing it out soon. 

• Like 1

The most important thing I've noticed with plastic on the knee block for slide is that it is really consistent over the hour of ice time. Fresh ice isn't the best but a few shuffles and a bit of snow makes it all good and after that no matter how bad the ice turns the slide is pretty much the same.

It truly is more technical with plastics too as you have to control the power you put into the push. And keep practising the stopping edge too.

I don't see a day when I would go and play again without slideplates of some sort on my pads.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

The most important thing I've noticed with plastic on the knee block for slide is that it is really consistent over the hour of ice time. Fresh ice isn't the best but a few shuffles and a bit of snow makes it all good and after that no matter how bad the ice turns the slide is pretty much the same.

It truly is more technical with plastics too as you have to control the power you put into the push. And keep practising the stopping edge too.

I don't see a day when I would go and play again without slideplates of some sort on my pads.

That's really helpful to know. I only used my full 3m film for 2 games and gave up... prooooobly coulda stuck it out longer and gotten used to it. 😳

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Bit of an update - still doing 3-5 games a week and as of November 29, 2023 when I put on the film it hasn't lifted and is still going strong!

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

My Mach film is 18 months old now? No issues with it coming up

Same as @TheGoalNet... had it on my Axis for 18+ months and no lift at all.

• Like 2

My EF5 set has been going strong for a whille now as well, so I just went back and did my Axis set to breathe new life into those beauties.   Cant wait to get them on the ice Saturday!

Edit:  Forgot to mention how much easier this was the second time.  Hopefully I didn't forget a step, but honestly I think it was just the confidence of knowing how well the first application has held up.    The biggest time savings was having a template premade on my wife's Cricut.   I still had to trim a little, so I need to adjust it, but from start to finish this took under 30 minutes this morning.  

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/10/2024 at 1:48 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Same as @TheGoalNet... had it on my Axis for 18+ months and no lift at all.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:44 AM, TheGoalNet said:

My Mach film is 18 months old now? No issues with it coming up

On 1/10/2024 at 5:00 AM, OldSchoolGoalie said:

Bit of an update - still doing 3-5 games a week and as of November 29, 2023 when I put on the film it hasn't lifted and is still going strong!

How much of the film do you wrap to the backside of the knee block? I have tried the ppf twice using Chenner's application method but each time the film ended up shredded after one game. I guess it is lifting during game play and being torn somehow. Perhaps when it lifts it sticks to itself and the force tears it or the ridges and divots of our poorly zambonied ice causes the tears?  Not sure exactly what happens but it looks like an angry racooon disapproved of the game play advantage the ppf was providing me and did a Kay Whitmore gear check and denial on my specs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, wigalicous said:

How much of the film do you wrap to the backside of the knee block? I have tried the ppf twice using Chenner's application method but each time the film ended up shredded after one game. I guess it is lifting during game play and being torn somehow. Perhaps when it lifts it sticks to itself and the force tears it or the ridges and divots of our poorly zambonied ice causes the tears?  Not sure exactly what happens but it looks like an angry racooon disapproved of the game play advantage the ppf was providing me and did a Kay Whitmore gear check and denial on my specs. 

This is all I got on each pad and it has been holding up really nice since my first post apart from a more recent rip on the one side.

I also didn't use any tricks to apply it, just cleaned the area, peeled and pressed. Ended up even using it before 24 hours and it still holds up. I think it is just now starting to show some signs of needing a replacement soon but then I'll actually apply it properly and with heat. I also should probably round the corners as well to prevent lifting there.

Pretty good considering I've played 3-5 times a week since November 2023!

image.png.942db2c95e176e8e8e3a3891d1c69f23.png

Edited by OldSchoolGoalie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2024 at 1:35 PM, wigalicous said:

Late on the reply to this, but below is from when I originally applied the PPF... only change to now is that I have removed the PPF on the knee block extension. I used Xpel with their adhesion promoter after cleaning the surfaces with alcohol. Cut slightly larger than you need... apply it and work any air pockets out and work into the seams with a a vinyl squeegee tool. Apply heat at the corners and seams to adhere them tightly... stretching slightly over the corners in particular. Allow it to cool... and trim as needed.

PPF_Axis_01.thumb.jpg.cdccec1dd17f77cbaf862c6bd4a166ed.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/23/2024 at 10:35 AM, wigalicous said:

Just caught this, I wasn't tagged so apologize for late response.

Did you wrap your PPF around the area you are covering?  It will lift and shred if any edges are exposed.
It will not stick to nylon at all.
You can also try diagonal relief cuts and pull the larger angle over the smaller

What material did you use?  They're not all made the same.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:26 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Late on the reply to this, but below is from when I originally applied the PPF... only change to now is that I have removed the PPF on the knee block extension. I used Xpel with their adhesion promoter after cleaning the surfaces with alcohol. Cut slightly larger than you need... apply it and work any air pockets out and work into the seams with a a vinyl squeegee tool. Apply heat at the corners and seams to adhere them tightly... stretching slightly over the corners in particular. Allow it to cool... and trim as needed.

PPF_Axis_01.thumb.jpg.cdccec1dd17f77cbaf862c6bd4a166ed.jpg

Thank you for the pic, this is helpful. I didn't use an adhesion promoter so perhaps I will look to use this on my next try. Your corners look really clean did you use relief cuts or just stretch it out over the knee block?

On 4/4/2024 at 1:05 PM, Chenner29 said:

Just caught this, I wasn't tagged so apologize for late response.

Did you wrap your PPF around the area you are covering?  It will lift and shred if any edges are exposed.
It will not stick to nylon at all.
You can also try diagonal relief cuts and pull the larger angle over the smaller

What material did you use?  They're not all made the same.

Sorry I should have tagged you when I name dropped you lol. I forgot because I had just read the process you followed as opposed to communicating directly with you about it.

I did wrap the PPF around the knee block and adhered it to the backside so that there are no exposed edges. I have Passau pads and the back of the knee block is primarily jennpro but there is about an inch long portion towards where the knee block connects to the pad that there is limited jennpro on the back and instead is nylon. In this area the PPF wraps around the edge of the knee block but not as far on to the backside as the rest of the knee block since it didn't adhere to the nylon. I used a vivid PPF I purchased off of Amazon. I am looking at ordering some 3m to give it a try in hopes of better results. When you completed the relief cuts which portion did you wrap over the other? Not sure if this makes sense the way I am asking but did you pull the larger side from the top down or from the side up?

2 hours ago, wigalicous said:

Thank you for the pic, this is helpful. I didn't use an adhesion promoter so perhaps I will look to use this on my next try. Your corners look really clean did you use relief cuts or just stretch it out over the knee block?

Sorry I should have tagged you when I name dropped you lol. I forgot because I had just read the process you followed as opposed to communicating directly with you about it.

I did wrap the PPF around the knee block and adhered it to the backside so that there are no exposed edges. I have Passau pads and the back of the knee block is primarily jennpro but there is about an inch long portion towards where the knee block connects to the pad that there is limited jennpro on the back and instead is nylon. In this area the PPF wraps around the edge of the knee block but not as far on to the backside as the rest of the knee block since it didn't adhere to the nylon. I used a vivid PPF I purchased off of Amazon. I am looking at ordering some 3m to give it a try in hopes of better results. When you completed the relief cuts which portion did you wrap over the other? Not sure if this makes sense the way I am asking but did you pull the larger side from the top down or from the side up?

Pull the larger side over the smaller, from the side.  It should have a bit of stretch to it.

Here's a poor mockup in Paint:

image.png.1799f6c585f71fbec9e22501e1f66a0f.png

The PPF did NOT touch any nylon, I got really precise with the cuts around the perimeter with a small pair of scissors.
You can see how Lefevre seams the knee wing below; the stitch line is both where the jenpro and PPF end.
I think on this specific layout, I used some relief cuts around the corners.

image.png.56d02128951fc1fb30181056035f32d5.png

Top one is the product I used.  The Vvivid stuff did not work well for me. I did not need to use any adhesion primer.  Cut, peel, stick, and smooth out for aesthetics

image.png.7d6553a3df10cfb6a32046c4b9f418e7.png

• Thanks 1

On 4/12/2024 at 2:36 PM, wigalicous said:

I mainly used heat to get the corners as smooth as possible, then just trim everything a good sharp x-acto once they've cooled. The goal being to minimize spots that can pull up. I'd suggest you maybe even wrap it around the knee landing so that any edge doesn't have a chance to come in contact with the ice.

Maybe I did a better job applying it than I realize, but for what it's worth I've had no trouble with this stuff sticking over time even with very quick and imperfect 5 minute applications. Although I do use a hair dryer for heat to mold it on better, help it stick. I also have warrior pads with a velcro knee stack that I tuck the edges of the film into, then velcro over so that really helps anchor it. But I currently only have half of my knee plate covered in the film (to prevent over sliding) and even with that edge getting water underneath it each game, it has never come off. Works like a charm. Powerful yet controlled slides.