NHL - US TV Ratings - OOOOF

MTH

Last season NBC noted that the ratings for the NHL were the lowest ever for NBC. NHL has a new TV (media) contract this year.

Ratings so far are extremely bad. How bad?

From Twitter @NhlRatings 'NHL TV Buzz'

Make that three weeks in a row:
Wed Nov 10 -Wild @ Coyotes (TNT) 234,000 (0.06)
Wed Nov 10 - NHL on TNT Pre-Game 285,000 (0.08)

AEW wrestling (avg. 910,000 viewers) preceded the NHL pre-game all three weeks, so some of the pre-game viewers were almost certainly AEW leftovers.

The NHL is in bad shape. 

In Canada, much the same:

22Klft4b_bigger.jpg

More Canadiens under 35 watched the Qatar GP on TSN than Leafs/Islanders on Sportsnet Ontario 😲

Here are the latest ratings:

Adam Seaborn

@AHBSeaborn

·

Nov 29

Sports TV Ratings November 26th:

HOCKEY - TOR/SJ: 551k (SNO)

CURLING - THCT Prime: 356k (TSN)

BASKETBALL - Raps/Pacers: 326k (TSN)

CURLING - THCT Early: 299k (TSN)

CURLING - THCT Daytime: 222k (TSN)

HOCKEY - VAN/COL: 158k (SN Pac)

HOCKEY - WIN/MIN: 122k (TSN3)

HOCKEY - PIT/NYI: 106k (SN)

HOCKEY - NY/BOS: 92k (SN)

HOCKEY - OTT/ANA: 76k (TSN5)

Where does the league go from here? It's trending in a bad way. I have my reasons why I don't watch. My kids don't care about the NHL. 

I think Bettman will finally get the axe (hopefully).

Edited by MTH

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

Last season NBC noted that the ratings for the NHL were the lowest ever for NBC. NHL has a new TV (media) contract this year.

Ratings so far are extremely bad. How bad?

From Twitter @NhlRatings 'NHL TV Buzz'

The NHL is in bad shape. 

In Canada, much the same:

Here are the latest ratings:

Where does the league go from here? It's trending in a bad way. I have my reasons why I don't watch. My kids don't care about the NHL. 

I think Bettman will finally get the axe (hopefully).

I'm confused here.

NBC, who no longer has the majority rights is complaining about low viewership as well as they're comparing the ratings for a provincial only channel for a single team Vs a nationally broadcasted channel.

Seems reactionary?

38 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm confused here.

NBC, who no longer has the majority rights is complaining about low viewership as well as they're comparing the ratings for a provincial only channel for a single team Vs a nationally broadcasted channel.

Seems reactionary?

NBC put out their NHL numbers at the end of last season when they still had the NHL games. I think they were trying to low ball the NHL more for a new deal. But the fact was that ratings were declining while on NBC.

I haven't seen many nationally televised games on the new cable channels that picked it up. Aside from the game where they had Gretzky et al commentating at the start of the season, I also can't think of any games on TNT that were shown in primetime hours? I just looked through all the promotional emails sent to me about it, and it comes out to one game a week, all starting at 10 PM EST with mostly bad teams. Who wouldn't want to stay up until 1 AM to catch the Wild play at Arizona??

image.thumb.png.536d65b2d681e18bf19316b905a1136a.png

Garbage games in a garbage time slot - who could have predicted no one would watch?

• Like 1

What they need to do is bring back the good ol time violence.

Today's NHL is so dull. People are afraid to make large hits now a days, you can't have a proper fight, every offside now needs to be reviewed.

Christ, coaches can't even disagree with the refs anymore because god fucking forbid they hold them and the league accountable for awful calls / game management.

It's too commercialized. I'd happily watch Junior A or AHL over any NHL games.

• Like 3

The game itself seems to me to be pretty good. The guys in the Show have amazing skills and the lack of the old clutch and grab of anything that moves lets them show their skills. The broadcasts, however, suck and there's no continuity of the schedule. The few times I've seen a game on TNT the highlight for me was 99 in the studio between periods. Otherwise,the schedule is all over the place. Here, Foley is in his last year and the Blackhawks have had guest play by play and color commentators who are awful. They've also had more than a handful of games on streaming platforms for which I refuse to fork out the money. Thank heavens I get the NHL Network on Comcast (about the only channel I really watch) although I can do without that Elliot Friedman character who seems to know oh so much and seems overly concerned with his newest hairstyle. NBC got tedious esp with the repeat of the teams shown and McGuire's adoration of the Pens and Crosby. 

• Like 1

I think I'm on the side of the game is boring. The NHL is overflowing with the greatest skilled players they ever had. Because of that, there aren't guys that are on that next level. They are all on that level for the most part.

The stars don't shine as much as they used to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTH said:

I think I'm on the side of the game is boring. The NHL is overflowing with the greatest skilled players they ever had. Because of that, there aren't guys that are on that next level. They are all on that level for the most part.

The stars don't shine as much as they used to. 

There are so few mistakes made. In my opinion, this is one reason why junior hockey is more fun to watch. Errors lead to exciting chances. 

• Like 1

Everyone seems to have different opinions on the state of the game. I find that talent is so good throughout all positions. All players regardless of position can skate and handle the puck extremely well. Everyone has a great shot. Wrist and snap-shots are as hard as most slap-shots from previous eras. Some of this is due to stick technology. Fitter athletes and better technique are the other contributing factors. Offense is more dynamic than in previous eras.

Goaltenders are better than ever across the board. The position is taught as a science now and done so at a younger age. The athletes playing the position are on average taller than ever with longer limbs. People keep saying that goalie gear is too big, yet since 2005 they’ve been making it smaller again and again. A 6’4” man is going to look bigger than a 5’10” man every day of the week. Especially when everyone has excellent stance discipline (no double-coverage, no bad glove positioning and no bad stick positioning.) Lateral movement and recovery ability is unprecedented. 

The main negative is modern defending is chaotic and inconsistent. The main methods of defending are chasing the puck around, swiping at the puck on an attacker’s stick and shot blocking. This leads to attackers dangling through defenders, attackers without the puck being left wide open in scoring areas and tips and screens by defending players that lead to goals against. Next time you see a highlight reel goal, look at what the defending players are doing. More often than not they are covering space, watching the puck move around and flailing in vain at it all while flopping around in front of their goalie.

I can’t believe no coach has tried to install more of a man-marking system of defending. Then again most hockey coaches are dumb as a bag of rocks. They just get hired because they yell loud, chew gum, wear a suit and put gel in their hair. 😎

• Like 4

Great post above ^ ... I still like watching pro. What gets me in the highlight reels is that everybody is  a sniper now and the amount of lucky redirects in front of the net is ridiculous. I almost hate how all positions are scientifically thought and played out. I've had thoughts about the NHL secretly testing different rubber compounds to see which formula works best with new sling shot stick technology 😄 ..  NHL pucks sure seem bouncy these days. 

Oh and I hate the helmet ads 🙄

Edited by Scythe
  • Like 1

I think ratings on all pro sports (NBA, NHL, etc.) dropped significantly in the last couple of years. With COVID, there were alot of empty arenas. Sports bars were also closed or restricted. So the socializing aspect was gone. Watching sports is more fun if you share it with a group. What fun is yelling "Islanders suck" if there's no Islander fans around to hear it? ;)

Then there's all the "social justice" activism, which really politicized things and turned off alot of fans. Watching sports is also an escape, we get enough politics shoved at us everywhere we go, alot of people don't want it shoved at them while watching a game too. Well, I'm sure there's 50% of the viewers who do like it, but then there's the 50% of viewers who don't...

I think it's more 90/10 with those that don't want it and those that do.

I was watching the NFL yesterday and the corn ball announcer was spending a whole quarter talking about how the players has their spikes for their own causes. Then was telling stories about the causes and the players...

Kill me.

Could you imagine Summerall and Madden having to talk about all the social crap? I just want to watch the game!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, MTH said:

I think it's more 90/10 with those that don't want it and those that do.

I was watching the NFL yesterday and the corn ball announcer was spending a whole quarter talking about how the players has their spikes for their own causes. Then was telling stories about the causes and the players...

Kill me.

Could you imagine Summerall and Madden having to talk about all the social crap? I just want to watch the game!

I refuse to watch the Nasty Foot Lickers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Curious/ scared what the ratings were for the Winter Classic the other day. Late game, non interesting matchup nationwide, oh and on TBS or TNT... 

I DVR'd it. Watched the opening and first period only. Beautiful looking game. NO HELMET ADS. 

Have to think they will be bad. "The Predators-Stars NHL Winter Classic averaged a 1.15 rating and 1.96 million viewers on NBC, marking the lowest rating and viewership in the history of the game (dates back to 2008)." per spots media watch website.

Edited by MTH

5 minutes ago, MTH said:

Curious/ scared what the ratings were for the Winter Classic the other day. Late game, non interesting matchup nationwide, oh and on TBS or TNT... 

I DVR'd it. Watched the opening and first period only.

But the 10 goals was Bettman’s wet dream! 

I wonder what the story on Binnington wearing his regular gear was all about?