Brian's Optik 3 preview

Snowman30

Curious to see what's changed with this iteration. It looks like they've slightly defined the outer roll on the pad more, kept the knee landing grip the same as on the Optik 2 (only on the part where the strap comes through instead of the whole landing zone). I would guess they've added bri-core to knee-through-thigh on the pads, thumb and cuff on glove, and board on the blocker. Interested to see how they've revised the core of the pad and maybe increased the stability/sweet spot of the blocker while keeping the tapered edges. I can't assume much would have changed with the glove outside of the backhand being optimized.

The graphic looks promising, though I think beating the Optik 2 had one of my favorite stock graphics in recent years. I'm excited to see the full reveal.

Edited by keeperton

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

They bring back optik 1 strapping fine I like it 

I don’t see any major modification on the pads like bauer and ccm with the new knee block … why ? 

It’s look like a optik 2 with optik 1 strapping for me with a new ugly design 

Maybe Brian's operates on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I wonder if it is possible to spec a Brian's pad to get Bauer-like rebounds. 

1 minute ago, ilyazhito said:

Maybe Brian's operates on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" philosophy. I wonder if it is possible to spec a Brian's pad to get Bauer-like rebounds. 

I don’t thing so… I’m pretty sure the core of the pads can be similar but the difference come from the cortech vs the jenpro I thing… jenpro absorb a little bit more the puck 

I understand thé if it ain’t broke , don’t fix it but if you want to convince me to spend 3500$ cad on a new set please give me some news feature… 

3 hours ago, Yzueblin said:

I don’t thing so… I’m pretty sure the core of the pads can be similar but the difference come from the cortech vs the jenpro I thing… jenpro absorb a little bit more the puck 

I understand thé if it ain’t broke , don’t fix it but if you want to convince me to spend 3500$ cad on a new set please give me some news feature… 

There is something in CORTech that causes the puck to act like Flubber when it rebounds. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bauer labs re-created Flubber, and used it as the coating for their pads. I'm rolling on the floor laughing just thinking about that.

At the same time, the Primo on Brian's pads makes them as slippery on ice as a greased pig. The ultimate butterfly pad would feature a combination of Primo on the sliding surfaces and the Flubber-esque hard rebounds of CorTech. 

Anyway, I agree with you that no major changes does not make it worth my time to drop US $3,000 on a new set of pads and gloves. Especially when I don't have $3,000 in the first place. 

4 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

if you are interested, I would like to answer your question in more detail. I was a huge Brians fan...until I tried Bauer. I had an Opt1k and it was a very good pad. light, comfortable, with good rebounds. and Primo's sliding was definitely better than jenpro. I even made an integrated knee block on them like a Stabilislide on the Bauer. the first and only Brians pad in the world with such a knee block. You can read about this in my topic in the Mods section.

then I got the Supreme 1S. they were in a terrible state, but even before the repair I made them some ice to compare with the Opt1ks. and it was just incomparable. rebounds outside the blue line, sliding 2-3 meters. since I've taken all these pads apart, I don't think the Brians will give the same rebounds as Bauer without drastically changing the core. I've also seen COR.Tech Skin "from the inside" and I don't think that the merit of hot rebounds is in it. the rigidity of the crust is much more affected. I also had a 2X PRO second generation skin. and here they are, sliding much closer to Primo Brians, but the rebounds are still much hotter, although not as hot as on 1S

6 hours ago, ser33 said:

if you are interested, I would like to answer your question in more detail. I was a huge Brians fan...until I tried Bauer. I had an Opt1k and it was a very good pad. light, comfortable, with good rebounds. and Primo's sliding was definitely better than jenpro. I even made an integrated knee block on them like a Stabilislide on the Bauer. the first and only Brians pad in the world with such a knee block. You can read about this in my topic in the Mods section.

then I got the Supreme 1S. they were in a terrible state, but even before the repair I made them some ice to compare with the Opt1ks. and it was just incomparable. rebounds outside the blue line, sliding 2-3 meters. since I've taken all these pads apart, I don't think the Brians will give the same rebounds as Bauer without drastically changing the core. I've also seen COR.Tech Skin "from the inside" and I don't think that the merit of hot rebounds is in it. the rigidity of the crust is much more affected. I also had a 2X PRO second generation skin. and here they are, sliding much closer to Primo Brians, but the rebounds are still much hotter, although not as hot as on 1S

So the über-hard rebounds Bauer has are a function of pad core? That is interesting.

I'll definitely take a look at the Stabilislide Brian's knee block topic.

I'll have to wait for Optik 3 gameplay reviews to see if I might later be able to get a used unit. 

8 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I agree. The pad designer must have been on drugs when he created the graphics. 

Graphics are fine.  They remind me of Voltron for some reason.  Regardless, it is nice to have something that looks the same on every piece of gear.  Just flip the damn B* logo, Brian's!  Please don't turn into Vaughn.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Graphics are fine.  They remind me of Voltron for some reason.  Regardless, it is nice to have something that looks the same on every piece of gear.  Just flip the damn B* logo, Brian's!  Please don't turn into Vaughn.

I'm just waiting for True to have upside down logos on the gloves. 

Then we can have the Canadian trifecta. 

• Haha 1

Pad graphic has some fun possibilities, I'm a fan. With the specs posted on their website: seems like they overall just tweaked the line a little to keep it up to date, which I can respect. Two new things I noticed are that the customizer has a knee block "regular" and "stiff" option and an option of an 87deg toe taper. I actually really dig the new pad strapping (https://www.goalies-only.com/product/optik-3-leg-pads/).

Here's two graphics I slapped together to have fun with the thing.

image.png.b7c71d310d04b14774b36119bf20a463.pngimage.thumb.png.c8f09682553e8854b6e6c7ada10fd8a9.png