I just realized, I HATE new gear

Chester

I have posted in the other topics "show off your gear" the new Passau kit i purchased.

Now the title of this is a tad misleading. I love GETTING new stuff.  I HATE wearing new stuff.

Im probably no different than many another out there, i love diving into gear.  Checking things out.  Touching, feeling, wearing, mock playing, etc.  Doing the background research, getting mildly obsessed to the point where im thinking about gear in my down time. Could be a break at work, a slow period, kids driving me crazy and i check out for a moment or two, bedtime, you get the gist.

So needless to say, I did A LOT of obsessing prior to pulling the trigger on the Passaus.  

Now to the meat of the title.  I cant stand wearing new gear for real.  Getting fully suited up and things dont sit right.  They dont smell right, they dont move right.  Basically, dont feel right.

In the past Ive purchased many a new product.  And quickly sold it b/c of these factors.  Skates, pads, full kits, chest protectors etc.  Its ironic, b/c at heart Im a huge penny pincher.  Yet, on these hundreds of dollar purchases, it fits or go away.

I will be posting a full review on the Passau kit.  This one is not going to be throw it away fast. This set Im committed to.  

But, just like anything else new Ive purchased, its irking me already.  

Man, I HATE wearing new gear.

I can totally agree! I recently went from a set of Reebok P3s to Bauer NXG and ditched those for some Reebok XLTs because I hated the change.  Even going from P3s to XLT was a huge challenge.  You think they will be the same, strap them the same, then get on the ice and feels like the first time you've ever played goal.  I'm going to be ordering some VH skates and am dreading wearing them for the first time after wearing CCM V10s for the past 10 years!

I was going to like your post, but I wasn't sure if that would say I was liking your misery or liking your new set... But I can say your new set is beautiful and I am sure they will work out for you and feel great!

I know the feeling.  The only thing that really gives me problems is a new c/a.  Everything else is ok.  Granted, I haven't gotten a new blocker in close to 5 years I think, I just keep getting it refurbished.  My last 4 gloves were all T5500s so there wasn't a lot to get used to there.  I've been wearing the same Bauer Reactor shorts since like 2003.  Those are something I am dreading eventually replacing.  My Brown 2200 has given me fits here and there.  Went back to my old 1800 a few times.  Back to the 2300 and so on.  I did the revolving c/a for a long time before I came across a Brown that actually fit me correctly.  It's been nothing but Brown since.  

I can totally agree with the penny pincher comment too hahaha.  I am pretty frugal except for when it comes to hockey...and cars...when I was into that.  I gave that one up though.  

Richter, I realy understand what you mean about chest and pants. I was waiting couple of years until bauer released Supreme NXG chest, which is the same unit like my previous ONE95. Tested Reactor line, Vaughns, Rbks at stores and not bad, but... 

Everytime I change piece of my equipment, it needs some time to adjust, biggest change was open leg channel.

Maybe little offtopic, but I hate wearing new gloves or pads for first time, when the are realy new (=from store, never used before). You know, I look forvard to use them, but the first time they get puck marks and start to get dirty...

12 hours ago, Jason said:

That's funny that I'm the opposite of Richter. I didn't have any issues adjusting to my new chest protector (also a Brown 2200). Everything else, though, tends to give me fits. Especially catch gloves. I hate breaking in new catch gloves.

The closed arm floaters are a lot different from what I was used to.  The one thing I wish I didn't get is double cushioning on the inside.  Normally its very soft and airy.  Double cushioned is a bit more stiff unfortunately.  Live and learn, eh?

As for the glove, Keeps33 method works great. 

4 hours ago, mik said:

Richter, I realy understand what you mean about chest and pants. I was waiting couple of years until bauer released Supreme NXG chest, which is the same unit like my previous ONE95. Tested Reactor line, Vaughns, Rbks at stores and not bad, but... 

Everytime I change piece of my equipment, it needs some time to adjust, biggest change was open leg channel.

Maybe little offtopic, but I hate wearing new gloves or pads for first time, when the are realy new (=from store, never used before). You know, I look forvard to use them, but the first time they get puck marks and start to get dirty...

I had a hard time adjusting from my old Bauer Reactor 4 pads to Bauer one95 pads(this was like 2010).  I bought a beautiful set on clearance from one of the major store's ebay, don't remember which.  I got them on the rink(was playing roller at the time) and didn't last longer than a period.  Intermission I skated off and changed back to my Reactors.  That night I but the one95s back up for sale and looked for something else.  Ended up going with V4 7600s.  Had no problem adjusting to those nor from those to my present V6 2000s.  

I know the feeling, been trying to adjust to my new G3's and every time I play there seems to be something new to deal with, I guess that's just a part of it.  I'm just afraid I'm going to start regretting my purchase, especially when I could have gotten a set of XLT's for less, a pad I was very much comfortable with and used to. There are some advantages to having super light gear, but its not as noticeable as I thought.     

I am a gear addict, plain and simple. I either love or hate new gear within three sessions. My new PAW pads took a session to get used to, but I knew I had a hit when people who knew nothing about goalie pads told me I wasn't fighting them. The only skates I loved out of the box are VH. 

Gloves are a different story. It takes me forever to get them where they need to be. I nearly gave up on my PAW T1000 clone, then it just suddenly got better.

7 hours ago, mik said:

....Maybe little offtopic, but I hate wearing new gloves or pads for first time, when the are realy new (=from store, never used before). You know, I look forvard to use them, but the first time they get puck marks and start to get dirty...

(This works especially well at drop-in where people probably don't know you as well). If you want to have some fun, the next time you have nice new clean pads, especially leg pads, when you walk into the change room and someone says "wow, new pads eh?" - look at them sheepishly and say "huh - I've played with these for three seasons now" - the panic in their eyes is priceless.

I do pretty well with new gear. Usually like it after the 1st, worse case by the 3rd? 

Went right from the box to the game in my new CCM pants. I did that also with my PAW neckguard & GNetik 2 c&a

If I were a pro, I'd probably get new stuff regularly because I like stiffer stuff 

On ‎17‎.‎3‎.‎2017 at 3:59 PM, Ghostender said:

(This works especially well at drop-in where people probably don't know you as well). If you want to have some fun, the next time you have nice new clean pads, especially leg pads, when you walk into the change room and someone says "wow, new pads eh?" - look at them sheepishly and say "huh - I've played with these for three seasons now" - the panic in their eyes is priceless.

Some of my regular players from the team lasted half a season before they noticed that instead of white pads with blue and gray graphics I got black with little gold, white and orange :D .

• 2 weeks later...
On March 17, 2017 at 7:06 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

The closed arm floaters are a lot different from what I was used to.  The one thing I wish I didn't get is double cushioning on the inside.  Normally its very soft and airy.  Double cushioned is a bit more stiff unfortunately.  Live and learn, eh?

As for the glove, Keeps33 method works great. 

Agreed on the Keeps33 method. My problem is more hand size. I'm an adult whose hand fits comfortably in a junior glove, so I have trouble closing larger gloves even when they are broken in.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Agreed on the Keeps33 method. My problem is more hand size. I'm an adult whose hand fits comfortably in a junior glove, so I have trouble closing larger gloves even when they are broken in.

Some manufacturers offer smaller internals, I know Vaughn does as that is something I got on my current 5500.  If you don't wanna wait for a custom glove build maybe consider an intermediate sized glove?  Usually the protection on those are on par with senior gloves where junior gloves usually tend to lack in comparison.  If you find the glove isn't protective enough you could always send it to one of the various gear modifiers(I prefer to use Jason Terio, Keeps33) and have them add some extra protection for you.

On April 2, 2017 at 6:07 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Some manufacturers offer smaller internals, I know Vaughn does as that is something I got on my current 5500.  If you don't wanna wait for a custom glove build maybe consider an intermediate sized glove?  Usually the protection on those are on par with senior gloves where junior gloves usually tend to lack in comparison.  If you find the glove isn't protective enough you could always send it to one of the various gear modifiers(I prefer to use Jason Terio, Keeps33) and have them add some extra protection for you.

That is what I do actually. I wear an intermediate Brian's Gnetik 5.0. The protection is there and the pocket means that I don't need to fully close it.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

That is what I do actually. I wear an intermediate Brian's Gnetik 5.0. The protection is there and the pocket means that I don't need to fully close it.

I was actually going to mention that the Gnetik is known for having a nice snug interior.  I guess you already know that haha.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I was actually going to mention that the Gnetik is known for having a nice snug interior.  I guess you already know that haha.

A few people mentioned it on the old board, so I checked it out. Great glove. And the interior was a much better fit for my hand.

44 minutes ago, Jason said:

A few people mentioned it on the old board, so I checked it out. Great glove. And the interior was a much better fit for my hand.

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have the orginal GNetik and it is snug on the interior. Brian's also uses very modern materials on the interior so the glove has a better feel and dries quick. It's sorta funny because the stock brian's blocker palms are very large and I had to switch to an intermediate to fit my hands. The glove fits amazingly though. 

17 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I have the orginal GNetik and it is snug on the interior. Brian's also uses very modern materials on the interior so the glove has a better feel and dries quick. It's sorta funny because the stock brian's blocker palms are very large and I had to switch to an intermediate to fit my hands. The glove fits amazingly though. 

I use an intermediate blocker palm as well.  I also had Vaughn do what they call their "Tight Fit" glove interior.  Its a slight difference, nothing major.  Not as tight as the Gnetik I tried on.  

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, MTH said:

What is this new gear you speak of? I'm entering the 17th season of my 38" V1 pads. They're now legal to drive. 

Nicely done. I got my V2s when they were released and used them until last month until I finally jumped ship to new pads. 

Archived