Am I the only one whos used a glove for as long as i have, and if not how long have you been using your catcher?

ThomasRedden

for context i have had two gloves in my nine years playing goaltender. my first glove was a Vaughn lt 98, two  years into use i got a koho lefeve 600 break, i disliked this glove so much that i went back to my Vaughn. i have been using my Vaughn for 8 years total now, had anyone else used a glove (or any other equipment for that matter) for that long? for context as of making this post, this glove has not broken in any way, i have relaced the pocket in favor of skate lace. the construction lace holding the glove together is still intact (but frayed as you would expect) theres no finger curl and it closes like nothing you've ever seen before, as you'd expect out of a 8 years of concurrent use glove. additional context it is still in use for a 2-6 ice time a week schedule. ignoring all my oversharing, has anyone else gotten this much life out of a glove?

• Like 1

I thought my Simmons 998 glove was more than a decade old but after doing some searching the GSBB Simmons forum on way back, it appears to have come out in 2014.  So about 10 years now.  Just starting to semi retire it.  My 995 c/a is apparently from around 2008.  Trying to slowly replace that currently.  

I stopped playing in 2018 but I used my Koho Revolution 500 off and on since 1996.  I did try many other gloves that were way newer but none of them felt right so I’d always find myself going back to the 500. 

With glove prices going up the way they have been, I think you'll start to see a lot more people follow suit to sticking with what they have. 

Hell, if you asked me a month ago, I would've told you I was probably going to get a new set come spring/summer. With how prices keep increasing due to "inflation" (though somehow it's way higher than the inflation rate) and how happy I am with my set, I highly doubt I'll be dropping any cash for new gear. 

My stuff is all in great condition anyways. 

44 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

With glove prices going up the way they have been, I think you'll start to see a lot more people follow suit to sticking with what they have. 

Hell, if you asked me a month ago, I would've told you I was probably going to get a new set come spring/summer. With how prices keep increasing due to "inflation" (though somehow it's way higher than the inflation rate) and how happy I am with my set, I highly doubt I'll be dropping any cash for new gear. 

My stuff is all in great condition anyways. 

This is the biggest reason why I buy stuff used. There are plenty of people with more money than I have to drop on new gear and the resale value is so much less that great deals are readily available.

8 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

This is the biggest reason why I buy stuff used. There are plenty of people with more money than I have to drop on new gear and the resale value is so much less that great deals are readily available.

I've been buying used the past few years mostly for the ability to try different types of gear to see what sticks. I will typically buy new for stuff I'm sure I like. 

I'm in Bauer leg pads now, but it took me a couple of tries at it before I found the set I like. Tried the 2S (hate it), tried the 3S (loved it), tried the Mach (they were fine) and ended up going with the Ultrasonics. 

Without the used market, I'd probably still be in Warrior's. 

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been buying used the past few years mostly for the ability to try different types of gear to see what sticks. I will typically buy new for stuff I'm sure I like. 

I'm in Bauer leg pads now, but it took me a couple of tries at it before I found the set I like. Tried the 2S (hate it), tried the 3S (loved it), tried the Mach (they were fine) and ended up going with the Ultrasonics. 

Without the used market, I'd probably still be in Warrior's. 

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. If I look back at what I've sold in the last 2 or so years, I've used (in no particular order) Optiks, JRZ Fusions, Gnetik 4, Eflex 3, Optik 2, G4, G5, G6, currently in Axis 2 pads and Vaughn gloves. The only way I can do this is the used market. A few times I've been able to sell a set for more than the one I've replaced it with, and not that I am keeping a tally of how much up or down I am on it but I'm certain I've not spent more than it would be to custom order a single set.

Just now, insertnamehere said:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. If I look back at what I've sold in the last 2 or so years, I've used (in no particular order) Optiks, JRZ Fusions, Gnetik 4, Eflex 3, Optik 2, G4, G5, G6, currently in Axis 2 pads and Vaughn gloves. The only way I can do this is the used market. A few times I've been able to sell a set for more than the one I've replaced it with, and not that I am keeping a tally of how much up or down I am on it but I'm certain I've not spent more than it would be to custom order a single set.

I've definitely spent a good penny on used gear, but I've recouped most of it back from reselling it. I'd say I'm probably "out" $300 or so over the past few years. A $300 price tag to try different gear isn't too bad. 

I'm pretty set with my current set. It's not often I get to a point where I'm super happy with every piece of gear I have. I've finally nailed down the two pieces I've been iffy on over the past year (catcher, C/A) with my G6 catcher and Mach C/A and they've both taken over as my favourite of their respective categories. 

Any time I go into the Hockey Shop, I'm just not even interested in looking at gear any more. 

Up until just before Christmas, I was using a TPS Bionic glove. Had that thing since 2005 when I played junior level. Loved it. My Bionic blocker was retired at the beginning of last season due to wrist issues. I switched over to a more modern Brian’s Gnetik blocker that, to the surprise of no one, is a heck of a lot lighter and puts less strain on my wrist. 

• Like 2

I got Naz beat. I used a Vaughn T1000 (Vaughn's first catch glove) for about 20 years. Replaced that with a Passau 60 degrees 6 years ago. Suppose I do not fit in well here on the use of gear: I like my old stuff and repair it when needed until it cant be repaired. 

• Like 2