Vaughn SLR 2

TheGoalNet

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Max27 said:

is quickslide gonna be on all the age ranges/pricepoints ? it says so on their website but the pics say otherwise

@Max27 catalog shows quick slide on Pro Carbon, Pro, Int and Youth so yes. Quickslide available in Red, White, Silver, Sport Gold, Blue and Black. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 4:12 PM, Matt35 said:

Any word on if Vaughn will do a PVE 2? SLR2 strapping, VE8 pad, new Quick graphic. That would be magical!

I can help on half of this - just put in an order for VE8s with leg channel swap to the SLR2. $65 upcharge, but they can do it. Pretty pumped about that. Now I wait ~11 weeks :(

5 minutes ago, SuperSieve1 said:

I can help on half of this - just put in an order for VE8s with leg channel swap to the SLR2. $65 upcharge, but they can do it. Pretty pumped about that. Now I wait ~11 weeks :(

Don't forget to switch the sliding surface too! HUGEE upgrade and shouldn't have an up-charge.

16 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

Don't forget to switch the sliding surface too! HUGEE upgrade and shouldn't have an up-charge.

Did that as well, along with some other mods. Pumped to hear that about the Quick Slide! Only upcharge was the leg channel, which makes sense.

I am coming from V3s that are falling apart, so it will be tough to adjust to the new style of pad, but can't wait to get them. Wait will be toughhh haha.

5 minutes ago, SuperSieve1 said:

Did that as well, along with some other mods. Pumped to hear that about the Quick Slide! Only upcharge was the leg channel, which makes sense.

I am coming from V3s that are falling apart, so it will be tough to adjust to the new style of pad, but can't wait to get them. Wait will be toughhh haha.

Wow,  V3 --> VE8. 

Your whole life is changing,  haha.

You'll have a significant adjustment period,  for sure. But you'll be sliding around like lightning,  playing taller, getting more active rebounds, and feel substantially lighter.

All positives.

Do you have pics of your customizer? Gloves too??

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Wow,  V3 --> VE8. 

Your whole life is changing,  haha.

You'll have a significant adjustment period,  for sure. But you'll be sliding around like lightning,  playing taller, getting more active rebounds, and feel substantially lighter.

All positives.

Do you have pics of your customizer? Gloves too??

Life changing to say the lease. I'm insanely picky about gear and despise change. Still rocking my Vaughn Legacy pants too haha.

I took about 1.5 years to finally decide on pads. I'll be stretching the life of my V3s just to last until new pad day. Everything about the new pads is just so different, plus my V3s have obviously shrunk significantly. Even the velocity line has gotten MUCH stiffer. It will probably be frustrating adjusting, but at least I'll look good while getting torched haha.

Just pads and blocker for now. In keeping with the theme above, I have a Revoke glove in the same color scheme that I love, so I'm not ready to give that up yet.

Cant wait to get them. Vaughn is always so accommodating. Haven't worked with anyone else to compare, but love how accessible they are for questions/discussion. It was the same way when I got my custom V3s.

image.png.00c8685e7fc2a6444b1f15c329853bc8.pngimage.png.c5bf050d0473b1f9826269f993d1f455.png

14 minutes ago, SuperSieve1 said:

Life changing to say the lease. I'm insanely picky about gear and despise change. Still rocking my Vaughn Legacy pants too haha.

I took about 1.5 years to finally decide on pads. I'll be stretching the life of my V3s just to last until new pad day. Everything about the new pads is just so different, plus my V3s have obviously shrunk significantly. Even the velocity line has gotten MUCH stiffer. It will probably be frustrating adjusting, but at least I'll look good while getting torched haha.

Just pads and blocker for now. In keeping with the theme above, I have a Revoke glove in the same color scheme that I love, so I'm not ready to give that up yet.

Cant wait to get them. Vaughn is always so accommodating. Haven't worked with anyone else to compare, but love how accessible they are for questions/discussion. It was the same way when I got my custom V3s.

image.png.00c8685e7fc2a6444b1f15c329853bc8.pngimage.png.c5bf050d0473b1f9826269f993d1f455.png

Nice, looks good. 

What size were your V3 pads and what size are the VE8s?   I never had V3s...I went from 1 to 4 to 6 and now 8. 

These 8s are gonna be like 2x4s on your legs compared to the 3s, but eventually you'll learn to love them with the benefits of a stiffer, more responsive pad. 

Congrats on them.  I too have had many great custom experiences working with Vaughn.  Dennis Doll is pretty great.

33 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice, looks good. 

What size were your V3 pads and what size are the VE8s?   I never had V3s...I went from 1 to 4 to 6 and now 8. 

These 8s are gonna be like 2x4s on your legs compared to the 3s, but eventually you'll learn to love them with the benefits of a stiffer, more responsive pad. 

Congrats on them.  I too have had many great custom experiences working with Vaughn.  Dennis Doll is pretty great.

Thanks!

Agreed. I have worked with Dennis both times. Always cool to call such a big manufacturer and he's on the phone to help immediately.

V3s were 35+1.

V8s are 34+2.

Can't wait to get them. It's going to feel like an eternity waiting. I'm excited to get them broken in.

Got the following mods on the pads:

1. No VE8 logo on thigh rise

2. Full leg channel / strapping swap to SLR2 - just felt like the SLR rotated so much better with its strapping than the VE8 setup.

3. Quick Slide

4. Carry strap loop at toe of pad.

5. Full nylon leg channel (no mesh) - was worried about durability there.

6. Attached thigh/knee guards 

Nice.

I too went down a size.  My V6 pads were 36 and my VE8 pads are a 35 and they're identical.

I immediately installed bungee chords for the toe ties on mine and ditched the boot strap, which is very poorly designed on the VE8s and also pointless, in general, with bungee toe ties.  I also had tabs and thigh guards with mine but I ditched them after a few skates because they just felt too clunky and in my effort to modernize my pads completely I went without them.  Thankfully my Warrior Ritual Pro knee guards do fine without the thigh guards. 

I rigged an old bag shoulder strap with some carabiners and run that through the professor strap, which is how I carry mine :)

17 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice.

I too went down a size.  My V6 pads were 36 and my VE8 pads are a 35 and they're identical.

I immediately installed bungee chords for the toe ties on mine and ditched the boot strap, which is very poorly designed on the VE8s and also pointless, in general, with bungee toe ties.  I also had tabs and thigh guards with mine but I ditched them after a few skates because they just felt too clunky and in my effort to modernize my pads completely I went without them.  Thankfully my Warrior Ritual Pro knee guards do fine without the thigh guards. 

I rigged an old bag shoulder strap with some carabiners and run that through the professor strap, which is how I carry mine :)

Seems like everyone goes down at least an inch in the newest stuff. 

Excited to try the bungees. I had similar thoughts on the necessity of a heel strap once I have bungee toe ties. I'll have to experiment with that.

I got the attached thigh guards because I wasn't sure if I could adjust to wearing knee pads. I wore them when I was really little, but switched to the attached boards/knee guards when I got V2s and stuck with them on my V3s. Figured I could just remove them if I eventually made the switch.

Rituals seem like one of the best options. I cannot stand big clunky gear in general and it would certainly be an adjustment to wear them again. So they were one set I was looking at.

After much deliberation, I decided to give Vaughn and their gear one more try. And though I'v gone on record to speak about Vaughn negatively on these forums in the past, I simply will not and cannot deny that with their gear comes a fondness and sentiment that I just don't get with other custom pro gear. I do stand by what I said in that their wait times still royally do suck and their graphics are still dull and unimaginative. But their craftsmanship (to me) is still second to none. And that might have something to do with North American made workshops (I dunno) but that's just me. So hopefully when my stuff comes in, I will be reinvigorated and maybe it will inspire others too.

Anyway, original Ventus SLR pads and blocker were my choice. Classic Epic 8880 catcher. Custom VE8 chest/arm NHL specification in aviator blue. Fingers crossed.

VentusSLR_Custom.jpg

14 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

After much deliberation, I decided to give Vaughn and their gear one more try. And though I'v gone on record to speak about Vaughn negatively on these forums in the past, I simply will not and cannot deny that with their gear comes a fondness and sentiment that I just don't get with other custom pro gear. I do stand by what I said in that their wait times still royally do suck and their graphics are still dull and unimaginative. But their craftsmanship (to me) is still second to none. And that might have something to do with North American made workshops (I dunno) but that's just me. So hopefully when my stuff comes in, I will be reinvigorated and maybe it will inspire others too.

Anyway, original Ventus SLR pads and blocker were my choice. Classic Epic 8880 catcher. Custom VE8 chest/arm NHL specification in aviator blue. Fingers crossed.

VentusSLR_Custom.jpg

I like the simplicity. That’s the Habs “C”?

On 2/15/2019 at 11:21 PM, ULTIMA said:

VentusSLR_Custom.jpg

Clean set. 

Vaughn let you remove all of the other logos? Just curious, as I assume companies want their name on their gear for obvious reasons. I was just glad I could have the "VE8" removed from the thigh rise on my set.

1 hour ago, SuperSieve1 said:

Clean set. 

Vaughn let you remove all of the other logos? Just curious, as I assume companies want their name on their gear for obvious reasons. I was just glad I could have the "VE8" removed from the thigh rise on my set.

There will be "Ventus" logos, I don't know if there will be any "Epic" logos.

Personally don't see what's wrong with that Velocity 8 logo, I wouldn't remove it.

On 2/15/2019 at 11:21 PM, ULTIMA said:

VentusSLR_Custom.jpg

Are you asking for Quick Slide (Primo) on the inner gusset?

Archived