Warrior R/GT pads, gloves, c/a

tony20

Warrior R G/T Review 

By @tony20

IMG_20170418_131544.jpg

The R/GT line was just released and I’m lucky enough to have received a demo set.  I’ll be reviewing the Pro pads and gloves, and the senior C/A. I'll be focusing on comparing them to the Ritual G3 line to help people understand the differences.  A link to the full size images is at the end.

I’ve been testing Warrior gear  since right before the release of the Swagger line back in the summer of 2009.  I’ve gone through various pieces of Swagger, Fortress, Ritual G1, G2 and G3.  Each series has introduced a lot of changes as Warrior continues to push to create the perfect setup.  Each generation has been lighter and more durable with new features.  Before Warrior, I’ve worn Brian’s Thief, Vaughn V1, Bauer Reactor 6, Cooper Reactor 5 and lots of other outdated gear like the Cooper GM12, Vaughn T-1030 and other gear from the 80s.  

To me, the most important factors are being comfortable in your gear and trusting it to do its job.  The rest is just details.  Rolls, flat face, leather straps, nylon channel, skate lace pockets, more straps, less straps...none of that makes me stop more pucks.

Having a friend as a professional hockey trainer has given me ample opportunity to practice with pro and semi pro players.  Aside from playing beer league “A” divisions, I’ve also been part of some ex-pro and ex-semi-pro casual leagues.  The equipment sees some serious firepower.  It also gets plenty of use as I’m on the ice several hours a week and my son who also had a chance to test out the brand new Swagger youth line back around 2011 has since grown like a weed and is now wearing my pads and C/A also.  Luckily for me he’s not full-right so no gloves for him.

R/GT

The R/GT is aimed at  more traditional preferences in goalie equipment.  It provides a classic look and feel where the Ritual G3 line is aimed at those seeking innovation and change.  The Warrior design team, who are of course lead by Pete Smith, will now be alternating between their two lines, updating one line per year.  

Blocker

The blocker face remains unchanged from the G3, and pretty much every other blocker on the market.  The sidewall has changed to allow for more freedom for your stick and to hold water bottles.  While the glove remains removeable like the G3, the backhand foam has been shortened allowing more movement.  Some extra attachments were added on the G3 Blocker to allow for the placement of the glove either up  ¾”  or down  ¾”. This feature appears on the GT as well.  The one - piece cap finger protection introduced on the G3 is also featured on the GT.

oEEeFDXun3QtN2BjJerFRczf-nA1gbDF3hR1sUebwD131LHMI48u77VTevCHUIPakd3c6pv9EvdndAKGTDNjVKCdG4XiEZgWGzy3rqJTRY4KV3wnFbcg21EmF3aYd-gIY0ufd0F93mNv-UoWv1MpWXAyUkHnvq0fnpGVXyfB6JOsxutpG2wRooHZ0GQbdmCbGVLd8BG02_S6dL0dNlIw0wqCXik9uAUcxwB0NqwKZARdyNhHefewX0O5hUJR-iw5CL2tPuS1ps3CARuG7iSo7dsusZUpBLpAXmKI2FMaBLGyLKXGd-gi-Mfk7eVVvKdiwjuwZ8VhIbv1J5HZ3gwWYPCoELxgItACJOxpyrXB-OXDpIk3NaixPOTFFtboC4j1dejwIBKssjfBVw5yn7iUxiB2

Catcher

While the changes to the blocker were evolutionary, the catcher is a different glove from the ground up.  Warrior has gone with a bindingless construction giving it a minimalist look.  The palm is not removable, one of the bigger features of the G3 glove.  The closure feels like a 90 degree break with the break running across the knuckles at the base of the fingers rather than through the middle of the palm as found in the G3. The finger section is very flat, so it has the pancake feel to it. The past Warrior gloves had more of a snow cone feeling, more like you're wrapping your hand around something. The R/GT is more like a one handed clapping motion.  The back is very similar to the G3, but has been simplified with a little bit less material and attachments behind the hand.  The cuff box and thumb area have been stiffened over the G3. One key feature it shares with the G3 is how light it is; lightest on the market I believe. It's truly game ready out of the box, as advertised by Warrior.  It was broken in by the end of the first game, and I’m only 5’7” so no monster hands needed.

1NumskkPXpK6auI1chJwmADQUZ_cxDl7zS-EBhLLe2ZqZ9Y3rLxf0z-XIy8H-9Mc8xfOVK5wJ2G6ny4HmJWXjx7QYiM7GRnrcgBT1Vf631CNVD2cnurQsG89REn9tfYAY7h_x8gY

0L7gL83FunFPOzLStK34uwlPsLnKOfkSXNRMHqvkY5oRfm_2tcpZLrmmHj1lgo2mYfFTLluMqoNVIHyRllsxySm2S3tDHFOiNsei9qT_8qXFMJS9IF4XeHsR1sJ48K6yv-5H4aD9yRcFVeUryZfBpmcrrqj6kmga0_GocztFpyRagPQ6pOEV8x8cMgYKdRNMYwT5VZezJSkQ32Me4UJzGy6qh9fktPxIIiPKQw0tv1f8KaxrCLqtkc8E04vBv--QX5BZsNi31n4FUKTq

Pads

The pads have a traditional look with knee rolls.  One break below the knee which flexes fairly easily and to a greater degree thanks to a slightly larger spacing between the calf and knee landing gear to allow for more flex.  The break at the boot is stiffer than on the G3, but the pad only has about 15 hours on it compared to 150. The fixed breaks on the R/GT have a more aggressive curve than the G3 but the G3 allow for some adjustment to the curve thanks to some cleverly placed tabs.  The inner boot is tapered to provide a traditional feel that also avoids early rotation when in your stance or going down.  The breaks in the knee and boot area are designed to let the pad sit flat along the ice for a perfect seal.   The outside sidewall has been thinned out resulting in a slightly more open knee. To increase pad longevity patches of nylon on the bottom of the pad and outside calf-wrap was replaced with PU leather. The knee blocks are slightly shorter to make sure there is no contact when in your stance.  You’re not supposed to notice the R/GT, it just does its job without hindering you.  

m2tIGxDIq1lNHw23OULZLvLLav0NN7aSRsCjJ-T-VsE99CkVxFp-AnUNiXcofY8XTY_un_wyf-TnizIbXgKmm3R5cLuuSeb-tW9ZFF5D4-X4nJeEuS7Ru0PLn8pHn1vBOdK_DhFY

The strapping and back of the pad are the same as that found on the G3.  You have the choice of toe-ties or elastic quick-clip straps. I absolutely love the quick clip system; I’m done with that whole bondage thing.  Putting on both your pads in under 30 seconds is the greatest feeling as is removing your pad between periods to adjust your skate.  Never stepping on a loosened toe-tie ever again is also something to celebrate.  Moreover, the elastics provide extra play to reduce stress on the joints while still maintaining performance offering the best of both worlds.  The calf-wrap and knee sling remain unchanged from the G3. I wear the knee sling Carey Price style, attached to the outer calf wrap instead of the knee.  This really opens up the knee area and reduces knee stress and prevents knee pads from getting stuck on the knee strap.  The outside calf wedge from the G3 has been replaced with a less bulky flap.  They size the same as the G3 and the G2 before them, meaning they size very similarly to other brands.

TqXsPMBJEUwIE3S6FxyRThJa2dkJf6psg6oROsRkf1Bl97IVgpHFi4bGAkat8CZtm9BL8aCLRw1ic9kawoB0ZuolFNR5CDK6BoqEcthivb9qBrpdzi9E1VD1T-HI5bCcd1NMc63r

The pads offer the same lively rebounds as the G3s (I’ve managed a couple of shots on the opposing net off of rebounds in 3v3), size the same, and use the same strapping. The pads come with toe strings installed, again to cater to more traditional preferences. But for those of you who are fans of the elastic toe strap from the G3 and G2 (as I am), don’t worry, they’ve included a pair. You can find them in the laundry bag with the knee pads that come with every pair of  GT leg pads.  

The differences really come down to personal comfort and style.  If you were happy with the Ritual line but missed the little things that you had become accustomed to over the years, like single break at the knee and tapered boot then you will love these pads even more than the G3s.

414L4P09XXBlc_4TGhkKQqnZaXOAB3g2-3T6tkN7Z_A8cThuZzRXXY0hQ8emLSoBiJLYRDcTIfMkbVzXgSviVoEI-QtayQOOj4yZXKwj-rTk9rAtbg410xhKWb5qNkNc1Pelkq-jZY24Bx7fnFFSQ2816U1X60unc_bepomq4OhmQw47xON5OlnUwKek2bw-XF4PCIVzgmXHH4mmKSyBEi3FuGl2TgmNi0zz1KXcZMR77Giy4KMMXiUsHvLzs-TEKDVO2Aa6_Off45yg

Knee pads

As I mentioned earlier, the  pads also come with an included pair of knee pads.  The system works well and stays in place.  They are light and there are no hard plastic areas that will dig into or bruise your knees.  They can be tied to pants or a garter belt as desired.

0ch7EdTPsFbuP7ORdmtVlDK6lGeakK1dYnrX51rygRTMLyj2d2xNcKvggxht3GH5SSLDTcWS_6yJAXLshh6OROliPWfUH7Elk1syKM-OyfmM23BIUq7H9BF5qKDeD1q6HbZe9XJjE4LgewpR_Ha_eTlm_trf_9MvfU9JZyaBCh6wHxrP0fAtxmfaem3x0-XDa7BnEa_AjKVwY6wrcEY9lXw5ZS91fEd7nzA-FH3hKrGP2Hgx4uSglNGyI02ZZcEQv4zDwfd8qXyJzbWF

C/A

The big difference between the G2 Pro C/A and the R/GT Pro is the arms.  The G2 used plastic in the forearms and biceps that propelled the puck into the corner if it hit the edges of your arms.  Shots to the center, or to the elbow floaters would die and result in no rebound.  The use of plastic throughout the arms in the G2 also insured no compression or loss of coverage over time.  But, not everyone likes looking like Robocop.  That’s where the R/GT comes in.  The protection, flexibility, and adjustments of the G2 with the familiarity of a traditional C/A.  

This R/GT Pro unit is based very closely on the Ritual G2 Classic Pro.  It was a G2 Pro c/a with traditional style arms. I’m testing the R/GT Sr which is spec and feature wise almost identical to the Pro, with a few material changes.

E7zKEMX2h3buIQ7RK-ZFiQ1bg6e6Psabg_RBCLjlak1uMLMGXu_5P2Ubi5_Q1EfPLd8Fy9Wg-3ncZRAvZfGF8eIiqkxlnk4ygvJh-8vR8uQytT0CYicOsPj7MnpTp_gSxoaqOxyzKQycvATa9y2Aq8OBj7G8GYGHNxymSy6sCoTdG9bHkCFehxBT-46DhjitEgLwEnXKXNkQzSTqYLwQ8gEGemSFEfaRxtz3tAx0TBPHeGPIzbOP1nlRTm3fJNjS6HZ-EdvytYefkBkO

I've had the G1 and G2 C/As and have never had a bruise or stinger.  This unit has plenty of adjustments all over and velcro instead of buckles at the waist, so no more broken clips.  The arms can be shortened, and the bottom row of protection around the body can be removed.  The classic arms are very flexible out of the box, and allow you to easily touch your nose. The arm padding is much thicker than what was found on Vaughn 7500s.  The front of the elbow floaters and shoulder flaps cover the bicep and forearm protection when the arm is bent.  This means you have several layers, and inches, of protection.  The shoulder floaters can be moved inwards or outwards, to adjust protection and avoid interfering with your helmet or view.  The unit fits snuggly without being tight or restrictive.  It simply moves with you so you don’t notice it.  When your arms are at your side, there is no gap between the arms and the body of the C/A so no room for the puck to sneak through.

1Y6wxQO6j51EKD-xNoyCc9qN1R0fAng2CSGjlO5--5NyFo46YwvESeTA2zKNolp7zVq3oDB--wU4fpzoCPzW11UNDjWFmM21H0G5B9Yg-ZQA60qmESNHvPcQGVNjeT3-V2P1CRyj

OUZ9KYONH6v2qGS8lKKcY-oIoryNu8k2SsoQY-Ts7qIh6oIOzvpeqoY7V-4lNkOQagStQDr-cWMFK1qIVEUV8OpCwecJRYDq7EapRk0a3HHZykieO7eJEn5y35MFq_AMTQ1EWpOA29IULYaTd1c-94ZNK_Gd5rphJ_qtKj8aaOYwHEAshvRLTmQUmwvzq4SsFO5b_QvQj6FKM9paijsS295gWcSOMQqEJ-kMneD3dCKIKR1KfdtMItwSSye7tUR3FODff_KBo0xetTXX

But which line is better?

If you like what Warrior was doing but felt it was too much for you, then you’ll be happy with the R/GT line.  All the protection and performance you want with a very light and flexible construction .  No loss of features when you choose the senior line over the pro line, like some other brands.  I’ve had both senior gear and pro gear from Warrior and I feel every bit as protected in the senior as in the pro.  

But for me, it’s going to be the Ritual G line (G2, G3….).  Not because it’s better but because I’m thankful for change.  I have no desire to return to my early days where C/As were made of felt, gloves didn’t have plastic palm & finger protection, there were no blocker sidewalls or finger protection, and no one had heard of goalie pants or knee protectors.  You don’t have to get off my lawn, and I like DaveArt’s new “busy” masks.  And you?  You’ve always like your one break below the knee tapered pads, your glove liner was never removeable, and your C/A has always been good enough?  Well then the R/GT line is the line for you.  Enjoy.

gtzvCxRpahV0FrHjH_mIzZhLleR-WGoLNlaJGhGM9XuIoPtWUwNL4woJJkK-DGF3_6yl7WyIGpxSZxVkkK4KhomnJJrn1LG4QX4HwVBvbBi9jZqMR6w6-4y_JLVJEigiblVXjBSs

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6216.JPG

IMG_6217.jpg

IMG_6218.jpg

IMG_6219.JPG

IMG_6220.JPG

IMG_6221.MOV

IMG_6222.MOV

IMG_6223.MOV

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6227.JPG

IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6229.JPG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you post the pictures somewhere besides photobucket? That site is awful now. The forums have their own uploading method that you can use if you don't want to look for an alternative.

Did you purchase these or are they a demo set?

I do ;)  It's direct from warrior.  It's one of those being in the right place at the right time kind of things.  That, and I play a lot, with players up to ex-nhl, so I'm a good test candidate to see if there are any wear issues.

10 hours ago, tony20 said:

I do ;)  It's direct from warrior.  It's one of those being in the right place at the right time kind of things.  That, and I play a lot, with players up to ex-nhl, so I'm a good test candidate to see if there are any wear issues.

Really cool 

Hey @tony20

How are you liking the R/CR3 stick?

I was thinking of trying out a composite stick for the first time.

I've been using foam core Warrior since forever. Actually, all the way back when it used to be a Montreal 9000....haha. Great stick!

Cedric

Well, I'd love to tell you but if you look closely, the gloves are full right and the stick is for a traditional left shooting goalie.  It's actually for my son since Warrior didn't have any full right sticks kicking around.  Right now he's still using his Warrior Swagger stick.  No feedback on the composite. 

That said, I love Warrior sticks.  So far I've only used their Swagger pro return and stock sticks.  I love the way I can handle the puck with them.  

They're 33.5".  They're a touch smaller than I'd like, but it's what Warrior gave me so I'm not complaining.  I've had 34.5" Warrior's before and I prefer them because I have a very narrow b-fly.  In both sizes, I still land on the knee landing gear.  My son who will be 5'8" any day now also uses them and feels they fit fine.

I hope that helps.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Since you've worn V1s, I have to ask. Is the G series or the GT series going to be an easier adjustment if coming from those pads. I'm currently in V2s, but they are getting older and I am looking to replace them. I do love the V2 pads, they've been great.

On 5/19/2017 at 11:20 PM, A10airknight said:

Since you've worn V1s, I have to ask. Is the G series or the GT series going to be an easier adjustment if coming from those pads. I'm currently in V2s, but they are getting older and I am looking to replace them. I do love the V2 pads, they've been great.

It's really a question of which options better suit your style.  If you like the tapered boot and break below the knee, go R/GT.  If you prefer the double break, full boot, and slightly softer boot break, go G3.  

Pads have come a long way since the V1/V2, I'm not sure if anyone still makes pillows like those.  Either pad is a great welcome to the modern era of hard+fast rebounds, and quick on/off pads.

On 2017-05-24 at 10:02 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@A10airknight - PM me if you need something like a V1 / V2

G3 only comes with 1 knee break. R/GT are available with 2 knee breaks. But on the G3, you can have a very aggressive S shape with the curve tab. That's what I use. I've ordered my R/GT with a double break.

1 hour ago, chakal said:

G3 only comes with 1 knee break. R/GT are available with 2 knee breaks. But on the G3, you can have a very aggressive S shape with the curve tab. That's what I use. I've ordered my R/GT with a double break.

Welcome and can't wait for the @chakal review! It's a tradition like no other 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived