Streamlined Chest Protector - Advice/Help Needed

Hi All,

I'm currently wearing a G2 Sr chest protector, and I'm looking into possibly upgrading. The arms were sorely lacking in protection, so I switched them out for G1 Pro plastic arms. I don't have an issue with protection now, but it's super bulky. I have issues with side-to-side vision from the floaters, and the arms are slightly too big. 

I'd like to upgrade to a more streamlined design. Here's a few I'm looking into:

-Bauer Supreme or Vapor

-Brian's Optik

-Upcoming Warrior R/GT2  (just not sure if it'd be much different from what I'm in currently..?) 

-I'd also like to check out the new McKenney and Kenesky options, (as well as Passau), but I'd really like to try on the unit before purchase.

Glad for any feedback, thanks!

Edited by motowngoalie

2 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Hi All,

I'm currently wearing a G2 Sr chest protector, and I'm looking into possibly upgrading. The arms were sorely lacking in protection, so I switched them out for G1 Pro plastic arms. I don't have an issue with protection now, but it's super bulky. I have issues with side-to-side vision from the floaters, and the arms are slightly too big. 

I'd like to upgrade to a more streamlined design. Here's a few I'm looking into:

-Bauer Supreme or Vapor

-Brian's Optik

-Upcoming Warrior R/GT2  (just not sure if it'd be much different from what I'm in currently..?) 

-I'd also like to check out the new McKenney and Kenesky options, (as well as Passau), but I'd really like to try on the unit before purchase.

Glad for any feedback, thanks!

If you like the warrior unit why not wait, and get the gt2 in a smaller size? 

if it helps at all i originally bought a g4 sr in medium and tried it on and immediately knew it was too big, i had the same issues you did. I went to a small and those issues left

11 hours ago, Max27 said:

If you like the warrior unit why not wait, and get the gt2 in a smaller size? 

if it helps at all i originally bought a g4 sr in medium and tried it on and immediately knew it was too big, i had the same issues you did. I went to a small and those issues left

I wondered that, It might help to size down to a large with med. arms.  Also, the non-plastic arms might be more mobile as well.

21 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

The 2X Pro will be out in April or May. They've gone back to a design more like the Reactor 9000 and I've been told they will be the most comfortable C/A on the market when they're released.

They should be out May 17 when the skates hit the market. 

Edited by mr_shifty1982
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't know about the GT2 model but GT had small lifter bumbs next to neck under the floaters. If those are also in the newer models you could remove it to lower the floater. That might slope the floater towards your neck so it might require some modification or different setup for the shoulder cups to lower them too.

I'm looking forward to find myself a GT2 pro and have one available ATM but money is a bit of a problem and the price is pretty high but the unit is only ~30 times used so pretty much new. I'm tempted for sure as I loved the GT pro I had.

21 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Don't know about the GT2 model but GT had small lifter bumbs next to neck under the floaters. If those are also in the newer models you could remove it to lower the floater. That might slope the floater towards your neck so it might require some modification or different setup for the shoulder cups to lower them too.

I'm looking forward to find myself a GT2 pro and have one available ATM but money is a bit of a problem and the price is pretty high but the unit is only ~30 times used so pretty much new. I'm tempted for sure as I loved the GT pro I had.

From what I hear the GT2 is bulkier and stiffer than the GT1.

I'm in a GT1 myself and the mobility is fantastic, but apparently that didn't transfer to the GT2.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

From what I hear the GT2 is bulkier and stiffer than the GT1.

I'm in a GT1 myself and the mobility is fantastic, but apparently that didn't transfer to the GT2.

My GT2 Pro was way too much for me. I'm eyeing quite a few other models/brands and I'm kind of thinking of adding the simple SR G5 to the list. It looks thick enough for any level of hockey under Pros and Major Juniors IMO.

28 minutes ago, RichMan said:

My GT2 Pro was way too much for me. I'm eyeing quite a few other models/brands and I'm kind of thinking of adding the simple SR G5 to the list. It looks thick enough for any level of hockey under Pros and Major Juniors IMO.

Have you tried out a pro pack Passau? I like mine a lot. Very beefy and still retains a lot of mobility. Maybe my favorite chesty ever. If their shop is open, perhaps you can make a day of it to check it out?

7 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Have you tried out a pro pack Passau? I like mine a lot. Very beefy and still retains a lot of mobility. Maybe my favorite chesty ever. If their shop is open, perhaps you can make a day of it to check it out?

Floaters ride too high for my liking. If the GT2 Pro was too beefy, I'm not so much interested in getting a similar bulky unit. I don't mind feeling the shots as long as I don't get an unnecessary injury. If they made a more streamlined floater, I would put them in the bucket list.

• 11 months later...

+1 for Kenesky here. Anderson spec is super slim, he had them take padding out. I got their T3 spec, it is close to the Epic fit, love the mobility. Added double heart plate for medical reasons. If you go that route, add a cm or even an inch to your front top to bottom measurement. They cut a little short. I swear NHL 6'3" is like 6'1" in my book.