It's called the OUTER roll!

Lucky Pucker

So this is such a minor thing - and a common thing as well, but it drives me effing nuts! But then that's me - big things won't phase me, but if my wife doesn't load the dishwasher "properly," then I SNAP! I LOSE IT! (does that "The Champ" reference resonate with any of the older guys...?)

Anyway,  a HUGE pet peeve of mine - setting pads up with the OUTER rolls on the INSIDE.

image.png.5bbcb99507def279852d7717fa7051aa.pngimage.png.d5c833560b24fa3d7b48eca200d7c567.pngimage.png.daeadc3d671cdaeb4830bbb99627dc44.png

When sellers (online especially, but I've even seen it in stores - my local Canadian Tire, for example) do this, so many thoughts race through my mind. for example:

"Huh - if they don't care to set them up properly, did they take care of them the rest of the time?"

"Screw you, I ain't buying your pads on principle (not because I don't need pads, and would probably get a free divorce with purchase)."

"Hmmm - if they don't even know which way the pads go, maybe they don't know the value of what they have, and I can get it for really cheap..."

I can't be the only one irked by this. Or am I...?

I will have to look for this picture, but there was a former career minor leaguer who made masks for himself and others posted (screen name Neums30 on GSBB and the vintage mask forum) a pic of a friend of his who thought the concept of a team picture OUTDOORS in full uniform was so ridiculous that he put his pads on with the outer roll on the inside! I wish I could find that picture.  

I almost had a set of pads made with outer rolls on the inside to be silly! I think the world would have ended if I had done that!

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

"Huh - if they don't care to set them up properly, did they take care of them the rest of the time?"

"Screw you, I ain't buying your pads on principle (not because I don't need pads, and would probably get a free divorce with purchase)."

"Hmmm - if they don't even know which way the pads go, maybe they don't know the value of what they have, and I can get it for really cheap..."

I can't be the only one irked by this. Or am I...?

LOL – it’s definitely not just you.

In all seriousness, I think the first thing it says to any goalie with a lick of experience is, whomever the seller is, they don’ know the first thing about goaltending. If it’s a retail outlet, it’s time for me to turn on my heel and run. If it’s a private sale, mom or dad are selling for their kid, who probably got them to shell out, played two games, realized ice is not as easy as being the street hockey hero they thought they were and are now trying to do monetary damage control.

In either case, I think you are right in that there may be deals to be had.

12 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

@Lucky Pucker if I remember correctly you've only been playing for about a year or so, right?

Yes, I’ve only been playing for about a year - and playing well for maybe an hour altogether- lol! But I’ve been a huge goalie fan and lover of the gear since the early 80s, so I had this pet peeve way before I started playing.

curious to see where you’re going with this though - to you, sir.

24 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yes, I’ve only been playing for about a year - and playing well for maybe an hour altogether- lol! But I’ve been a huge goalie fan and lover of the gear since the early 80s, so I had this pet peeve way before I started playing.

curious to see where you’re going with this though - to you, sir.

Hating pads like this is pretty much par for the course when it comes to goalieism(lol).  Consider yourself a grizzled vet now!

On 5/11/2019 at 10:22 AM, ULTIMA said:

DxG5Ot5rfZADMLy4z34oRmEw2_n-d2KlL8E7YGmRx7U.jpg

a7c92986d4387aba97f873b45ba3be334cbf6cecde29a188ebb414dc5b8096d3.jpg

I’ve actually been re-watching That 70s Show while doing my workouts! Red is the MAN! Of course my wife won’t let me emulate his parenting completely - but I slip a few hard-ass Dad things once in a while. I had Red Foreman style Dad, and I turned out... hmmm... well, now... lol!

From Dave Neums on the GSBB

This is a team photo of the 1984 IHL Toledo Goaldiggers. The goalie on the left with his pads and gloves on wrong is former NHLer Lindsay Middlebrook. I asked Lindsay why his gear is on wrong and he said that he thought the picture taken outside was stupid, so he wanted to make it more stupid.

1984 IHL Toledo Goldiggers Photo.jpg

5 hours ago, MTH said:

...Upside down and on wrong leg. Great coaching! 

It’s clear by looking at his face he’s not he coach, he’s the dad and it's pretty obvious what he's thinking:

“#!@&$ kid wants to be a #!@&$ goalie... That’s going to cost me a #!@&$  fortune in #!@&$ goalie gear and #!@&$ counselling. Well I’m going to make this so #!@&$ aversive he/she’ll never try this again!!!”

19 hours ago, Colander said:

It’s clear by looking at his face he’s not he coach, he’s the dad and it's pretty obvious what he's thinking:

“#!@&$ kid wants to be a #!@&$ goalie... That’s going to cost me a #!@&$  fortune in #!@&$ goalie gear and #!@&$ counselling. Well I’m going to make this so #!@&$ aversive he/she’ll never try this again!!!”

While I get that you're making a joke, it is in fact a "coach".  That is former NY Ranger Ed Hospodar.  This must be some kind of Rangers charity event, likely Garden of Dreams.  Playing in the NHL in the 80s, he probably should have caught this.  Of course this picture very well could be him correcting the little man's pads for all we know.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with that haha.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

While I get that you're making a joke, it is in fact a "coach".  That is former NY Ranger Ed Hospodar.  This must be some kind of Rangers charity event, likely Garden of Dreams.  Playing in the NHL in the 80s, he probably should have caught this.  Of course this picture very could be him correcting the little man's pads for all we know.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and go with that haha.

Wrong.

Ranger players and their fans are dumb doo doo heads and should feel shame.

Archived