Bauer NG Knee Pads or Base Layer

TheGoalNet

On 7/2/2019 at 3:07 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I ended up buying these and turning them so they sit on the inside of my knee and not in the front. I pulled my base layer of these. Then I put my knee guards over the base layer, worked fantastic.

https://www.mcdavidusa.com/collections/hex/products/hex-leg-sleeves-pair

How have you been liking these over the past week or so?  The knee wraps in my Vaughns have really reduced to almost nothing.  Thinking I might try these and turn them sideways as you did.  

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, RyanR3KC said:

Do these sleeves give enough protection that you could go without knee pads? What’s the padded material made of?

the only negative with knee pads is that they get bulky and keep your leg pad from rotating 

I personally only wear gform ones because I can’t stand normal knee pads. You would probably still fell a shot if it hit you there, but tbh if you just close your five hole you most likely will never get hit there hard enough for it to do any serious damage.

I wear these with warrior kneepads.  I had a minor malfunction with the knee flap and the puck found the hole and hit the gform.  It hurt and the gform has a permanent reminder mark from that shot.  Imo being 36 I just appreciate the extra cushioning they provide on landing and I'm perfectly happy with the coverage the regular gform provides. While that additional inner knee padding looks nice, it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me to eventually buy the regular gform again.

20190817_211119.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I am most interested on the inner knee landing area padding. This version is lacking there.

Simply for the sake of clarity on this thread... the image I originally posted of the Bauer Elite Knee Pads has the sleeves reversed... so this version does have inner knee padding and does not have outer knee padding...

CORRECT: ✔️

image.png.2acba0cd28a34d77f0faf11e633d384c.png

WRONG: ❌

image.png.e49942b6a7309a47aaa03e8eaf250dca.png

On 8/17/2019 at 12:24 PM, Peter36 said:

I personally only wear gform ones because I can’t stand normal knee pads. You would probably still fell a shot if it hit you there, but tbh if you just close your five hole you most likely will never get hit there hard enough for it to do any serious damage.

I thought the same thing until I actually got hit there. Weird stuff happens sometimes. I was in RVH on the post because the puck was behind the net, a pass goes out front for a one timer and I took that square in the knee. I was out for a couple weeks and could barely stand. I have since upgraded to Warrior X2 Pro knee pads. Don't risk it.

25 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I thought the same thing until I actually got hit there. Weird stuff happens sometimes. I was in RVH on the post because the puck was behind the net, a pass goes out front for a one timer and I took that square in the knee. I was out for a couple weeks and could barely stand. I have since upgraded to Warrior X2 Pro knee pads. Don't risk it.

Agreed... it's the short pass one timer or redirect that usually catches you on a knee. Don't get me wrong... when I was younger I didn't wear knee pads... but we also not only had straps on the top of our pads... but we kept them tight and they wrapped around the knee. (I'm sure most anyone could find a better picture to illustrate this than the one I posted below.)

Image result for felix potvin

On 10/4/2019 at 2:14 PM, BadAngle41 said:

Simply for the sake of clarity on this thread... the image I originally posted of the Bauer Elite Knee Pads has the sleeves reversed... so this version does have inner knee padding and does not have outer knee padding...

CORRECT: ✔️

image.png.2acba0cd28a34d77f0faf11e633d384c.png

WRONG: ❌

image.png.e49942b6a7309a47aaa03e8eaf250dca.png

That's actually the same pair! They just flipped the left and right leg. This is the pair I wanted.

image.png.105cec0973a7cf877378382a2f61a26d.png

However, your picture opened my eyes. Maybe those ones will work.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a pair of the full leggings with the Flex orb knee cushioning and I wear it under my knee protectors, they keep the knee protectors in place and my kness never hurt and I am up another quarter an inch, my opinion is that these pants are the best kept secret weapon for goalies

13 hours ago, Eagle Beak said:

I have a pair of the full leggings with the Flex orb knee cushioning and I wear it under my knee protectors, they keep the knee protectors in place and my kness never hurt and I am up another quarter an inch, my opinion is that these pants are the best kept secret weapon for goalies

Are they still in production or discontinued?

• 4 months later...

I've been trying to figure out why Bauer stopped making these sleeves/legging, as they seem like such a valuable piece of equipment. Any insights?

I have the same issue mentioned above - when I drop in my Bauer Supreme knee guards I land right in the seam between the knee cup and the side panel on the inside of my knee, missing the poron insert on the knee cap. It wasn't an issue with my older SubZero 2s, but my G4s must have a firmer knee block because I've had issue from day one with them. I'm going to try some Passau guards, but I think this additional padding will always be beneficial.

How has everyone enjoyed the McDavid pads? They are available for under $30 CAD, so probably worth a shot. But I don't know if the foam is as pleasant as the G-Form option. Thoughts?

Perhaps Bauer didn't keep their partnership with Gform or the other way around.  It probably competed with Gform's own sales since both companies had Gform knee pads.  When the whole Bauer undergarment Gform line was available years ago, I had purchased the leggings that had the Gform knee pads built in.  I made sure I bought the right size with store associate on site.  Brought them home, tried them on, and the knee ripped apart at the seams between the padding and the fabric.  First try.  Needless to say, I returned them within 24 hours, explained what had happened, and the store took them back.  I wasn't going to try a replacement pair, there were too many seams too trust and try again.  I really wanted the inner thigh padding that came with them as well, but I felt there was a quality issue, and I wouldn't get years of use out of them.  I also didn't like the design of the shirt undergarment, as I like my c/a to be able to move around me when needed and it would stick to the padding.  Good for kneepads, bad for chestys (for me). I ended up with a pair of the 1st gen Gform knee pads (pic above) and have gotten many years of use out of them so far.  Some stitching has come undone, but they have to be at least 5 years old now.  I use a Shock Doctor catcher's/mma short for inner thigh padding and my inner cup holder, which is now discontinued, and after my 2nd pair is starting to wear, I wish I had bought a 3rd pair.  If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.  Sorry for the wall of text.  Can't play goalie, talk goalie hehe.

Archived