The lacrosse goal: ban it?

seagoal

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So I’m wondering if the people on here are opposed to this type or goal mainly because you feel it’s a rules violation, you’re concerned about safety....

or you think it’s a douche move. 

It makes me think about the goal Peter Forsberg scored in the shootout in the Olympics all those years ago. Everyone tried that goal and continues to to this day. I wouldn’t be surprised if every single member on this board has been scored on this way, if not in a game at least in a practice or drop in. That move conjures up feelings if douchey-ness. But it’s a way to use deception to score, so it’s considered fair. 

I maintain as long as there’s no safety issue it should be allowed. 

Honestly, I long for a day when players actually play defense instead of sweeping at the puck and dropping to a knee to block a shot. FOR GOD’S SAKE, hit someone! No one uses body contact in scoring areas or anywhere near their goal. The reason “The Michigan” hasn’t worked for so many years is because players actually used to hit attackers when they were near the goal with the puck. Now the only hitting that occurs is along the boards.

16778F7A-3920-4359-953C-01479C0085B8.png

Yes- I was the guy who used to do open- ice hits in drop in as a defenseman. Mainly hip checks, but shoulder checks or anything to put my body between the puck carrier and my goalie. The goal was to prevent forward motion of the puck, not to knock anyone into next week. 

The Michigan needs to be defended with fierce hits, preferably skates leaving the ice into the skater doing the Michigan with his head going into the goal post. We would hope he is only wearing a visor so his bag of shower wanker arse will spit out a few Chiclets! 

Edited by bunnyman666

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable .  He does it again, this time with the announcer calling it a "lacrosse move" in real time (read: travelling with possession of the puck) and more distance covered in his travelling with the puck than he did the first time.  

I saw it tonight and I still don't like it.  I think it should be banned.  I find it to be a garbage move in hockey (personally) and it violates a basic hockey rule/principle:

1. Skaters are not allowed to progess/travel with possession of the puck off the ice. 

2. The lacrosse move involves a skater progressing/travelling with possession of the puck off the ice. 

3. The lacrosse move violates 1.

4. The lacross move should be banned. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Unbelievable .  He does it again, this time with the announcer calling it a "lacrosse move" in real time (read: travelling with possession of the puck) and more distance covered in his travelling with the puck than he did the first time.  

I saw it tonight and I still don't like it.  I think it should be banned.  I find it to be a garbage move in hockey (personally) and it violates a basic hockey rule/principle:

1. Skaters are not allowed to progess/travel with possession of the puck off the ice. 

2. The lacrosse move involves a skater progressing/travelling with possession of the puck off the ice. 

3. The lacrosse move violates 1.

4. The lacross move should be banned. 

Why don’t they next allow the shooter to pick up the puck and throw it into the net? That’s what is next.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Why don’t they next allow the shooter to pick up the puck and throw it into the net? That’s what is next.

Wadda ya mean "that's what is next"...? That's already been allowed for years now:

I immediately thought of this when I read your post, Bunny! I used to love Nelson Emerson, from back when he was in Hartford. Not his finest moment here, but hey - he who dares, son!

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wadda ya mean "that's what is next"...? That's already been allowed for years now:

I immediately thought of this when I read your post, Bunny! I used to love Nelson Emerson, from back when he was in Hartford. Not his finest moment here, but hey - he who dares, son!

Leave it to you to remember the stuff ol’ uncle bunnyman forgot!!!! LOL 

I cut Nelson Emerson’s hair a few times when he was in St. Louis. I have to say that he was one hell of a good guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Leave it to you to remember the stuff ol’ uncle bunnyman forgot!!!! LOL 

I cut Nelson Emerson’s hair a few times when he was in St. Louis. I have to say that he was one hell of a good guy. 

Really glad to hear that; it's always soul-crushing when you find out that an athlete you really admire turns out to be a douche, a cheat, an asshole, a wanker, or all of the above (y'know, like 95% of the time...)

18 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Really glad to hear that; it's always soul-crushing when you find out that an athlete you really admire turns out to be a douche, a cheat, an asshole, a wanker, or all of the above (y'know, like 95% of the time...)

I have found pro hockey players to definitely be the nicest. Pro football, not so much. Pro baseball players are decent. Since I live near an NBA desert, no encounters with NBA players, but from what I understand, they stay with their own barbers.  

BAN IT .... don't get me wrong it takes a lot of talent to be able to pull it off in game, and its quite entertaining. BUT from a safety perspective how is the NHL letting sticks flying that close to a goalies head, Hellebuyck almost gets a stick from Svechnikov and his own player. 

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Or just to make it easier we should allow baskets on one side of the stick and a blade on the other so that they can switch back and forth.

:)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JDiv said:

BAN IT .... don't get me wrong it takes a lot of talent to be able to pull it off in game, and its quite entertaining. BUT from a safety perspective how is the NHL letting sticks flying that close to a goalies head, Hellebuyck almost gets a stick from Svechnikov and his own player. 

Well the safety argument doesn't really fly far...they allow fist fights, after all.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:14 AM, seagoal said:

100% agree. 

F it. Lets strap some skates on a football fullback and charge the net.

1 hour ago, DH7 said:

Pretty simple to me...the next time Svechnikov, or anyone else known for this irregular move, goes behind the opposing goaltenders' net,  he gets a 'wake up call'.

In the 'old' NHL, he probably would never had tried the lacrosse move out of fear. Or even when he did score with it the first time, he would never want to try it again due to the consequences he would face. 

Now? He can do whatever he pleases. Players around the league might hate it and find it disrespectful (I'm sure they respect the talent, but don't like the in-game use of it), but they can't do any thing to him. 

Edited by creasecollector

3 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

In the 'old' NHL, he probably would never had tried the lacrosse move out of fear. Or even when he did score with it the first time, he would never want to try it again due to the consequences he would face. 

Now? He can do whatever he pleases. Players around the league might hate it and find it disrespectful (I'm sure they respect the talent, but don't like the in-game use of it), but they can't do any thing to him. 

I don’t disagree. 

Of course some clown in the drop in I sometimes attend regularly does that and I had heard he got levelled the last time he did it. 

I'm not understanding the hate on this.  Sure, it's showboating, but so is every between the leg dangle, toe drag, whatever.  He's using his stick, so it's not like he's throwing, kicking, etc.  And it's clearly not banned or the goals would have been waved off.  

There are two simple solutions:  Goalies -- stay standing when he's on the ice and going around the net.  Defensemen -- clean his clock.  Good clean hit and he'll lose the puck.  If you can catch him.

Why take something fun to watch out of the game?  (And that's coming from someone who hates hates hates the shootout at the end of tie games).

9 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I'm not understanding the hate on this.  Sure, it's showboating, but so is every between the leg dangle, toe drag, whatever.  He's using his stick, so it's not like he's throwing, kicking, etc.  And it's clearly not banned or the goals would have been waved off.  

There are two simple solutions:  Goalies -- stay standing when he's on the ice and going around the net.  Defensemen -- clean his clock.  Good clean hit and he'll lose the puck.  If you can catch him.

Why take something fun to watch out of the game?  (And that's coming from someone who hates hates hates the shootout at the end of tie games).

It is actually funny when showboating fails.

I used to play with a girl who regularly carried the puck at the toe end of her stick OFF the ice. I was fascinated by this. She carried the puck about 6” off the ice. It was hard to poke check the puck away from her. 

She did not, however, score Michigan goals. She would fling pucks into the net. She was something else, and am VERY surprised she isn’t a pro. She regularly outclassed the ex high level Junior, NCAA and minor league male players. She wasn’t hard on the eyes, either!

2 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

Surely there will be things in the future that will be banned but they are not currently if only because players aren't doing them yet.  Things that are new will pop out and should be assessed to how they fit in or do not fit in to the current rules and principles of the game.

There are potentially several good reasons to take something fun to watch out of the game: they are illegal, they violate principles, they are dangerous, they diminish the integrity of hockey, they set a bad precedent, etc. There are certainly more I'm not thinking of now. 

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Surely there will be things in the future that will be banned but they are not currently if only because players aren't doing them yet.  Things that are new will pop out and should be assessed to how they fit in or do not fit in to the current rules and principles of the game.

There are potentially several good reasons to take something fun to watch out of the game: they are illegal, they violate principles, they are dangerous, they diminish the integrity of hockey, they set a bad precedent, etc. There are certainly more I'm not thinking of now. 

The biggest reason I can see for banning the Michigan/Svechnikov/lacrosse goal, is that it can put the blade of a player's stick very close to the goaltender's mask. Sticks to the head, through the cage, into the eye, that's a pretty big safety hazard. And goalies can't just get out of the way.

I still don't really think it should be banned, much as I dislike them.

• Like 1

Here's another attempt tonight...and a successful defense of it.

I love that we have to refer to another sport to describe it.  It's telling. 

Also, to add more absurdity,: shouldn't this be a slashing penalty on the D for taking away a direct scoring opportunity like this?

P.S. Saros' smile after is just adorable :)

Edited by seagoal

6 hours ago, seagoal said:

Here's another attempt tonight...and a successful defense of it.

I love that we have to refer to another sport to describe it.  It's telling. 

Also, to add more absurdity,: shouldn't this be a slashing penalty on the D for taking away a direct scoring opportunity like this?

P.S. Saros' smile after is just adorable :)

Weird that he wasn’t called for slashing the stick.

I knew we were going to see more of these...