Warrior G5

cwarnar

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Me too this is my first “pro” set besides Simmons so I’m not sure if I have way to high of expectations.  Your knee roll area looks like mine, slight wrinkles. Do you see or feel that it really effects the pads play? 

I don’t have any wrinkles or loose looking jenpro just wavy looking on the knee roll area and the toe area but it’s a pretty small area. 

245EF6D1-11AA-4AD7-A76B-97729BEAB667.jpeg

F40D0632-E9A3-4BBE-9875-22DA7FA4F2A9.jpeg

Nah and the wrinkles I had in the last picture (which I took before I played on them) seemed to even a bit more after my three skates with them. The top picture I took today. I’m pretty sure my G4’s had some there as well but can’t remember and don’t have any proof. They slide super well from beginning to end and the rebounds were so much better than my G4 Pros so overall I don’t think it’s a bit deal. 

Just a reference point, 12.1 is made by the best craftsmen in the industry... Lefevre. Check out this blocker, it has puckering.

It does not make anything right, but puckering is just an aesthetic thing that pops up from time to time. Most of my custom Brian's have it somewhere. It's most common in that case because with 1 off graphics, it's harder to anticipate where the puckering will be and great a graphic around it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 18.16.14.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dumpy said:

Isn’t the Warrior stuff sewn inside out? All it takes for a pucker on a seam is a small movement to go a bit crooked these are sewn by people and not robots right?

Robots are more reliable and less prone to a mistake though. If Warrior has good fixturing and manufacturing processes, robots should turn out gear of more consistency than something that is hand sewn.

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Robots are more reliable and less prone to a mistake though. If Warrior has good fixturing and manufacturing processes, robots should turn out gear of more consistency than something that is hand sewn.

That was my point that people are likely sewing these. A robot would follow a pattern better and not sneeze look at someone walking in gossip about what so and so is wearing or who there doing.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Just a reference point, 12.1 is made by the best craftsmen in the industry... Lefevre. Check out this blocker, it has puckering.

It does not make anything right, but puckering is just an aesthetic thing that pops up from time to time. Most of my custom Brian's have it somewhere. It's most common in that case because with 1 off graphics, it's harder to anticipate where the puckering will be and great a graphic around it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 18.16.14.png

To back up TGN's point here. Here's an instance of some puckering on my GT2 blocker.

Luckily this is the only instance of this on my entire set. I get the feeling of the gear not being "perfect", but at the same time I don't care enough to worry about it.

20190628_180925.jpg.8e35068df29a4d0247c72bcc9776db3b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Is it only pictorial effect that those silver and purple lines seem to be way off comparing pads to each other?

Damnit!! 

now I have to go back and check them out about this too. I’m hoping it’s just that the pads weren’t perfectly lined up when I took the picture. 

59 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

Damnit!! 

now I have to go back and check them out about this too. I’m hoping it’s just that the pads weren’t perfectly lined up when I took the picture. 

Sorry. 😐 My symmetry eye just got spiked. 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

After many many ice times with my G5’s I’m tempted to remove the knee strap in favor of a professor strap. The knee block is stiff enough and I feel like a professor strap would greatly benefit the way these pads play for me

I wore my G4’s with the knee strapped down to the calf and the same with my G5’s but I’ve thought about that mod too. 

On 7/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, ArdeFIN said:

Sorry. 😐 My symmetry eye just got spiked. 

To put our collective ocd hopefully at ease I can see if this picture that one pad is slightly broken in more than the other and sitting lower. I’m guessing in the picture the pads weren’t lined up completely and one pad was sitting higher than the other. 

50986DBE-0C6E-40F8-9758-20AA3CE002E0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

How did you add one? 

So you know that elastic boot strap G5 comes with? Well......

CDDB9568-64CE-490F-B056-27062189D5B1.thumb.jpeg.827bfdbc3090631c52131486c771e9df.jpeg
Mine is looped through and hooked onto the lacing right at the knee break (very similarly to how it’s normally attached at the boot). It was a pain to get on but it’s well worth it and I think warrior should make it easier to do by putting rings at the knee break like there are at the boot. If you need better pictures I’d be happy to provide

Edited by ThatCarGuy
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2020 at 10:32 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

So you know that elastic boot strap G5 comes with? Well......

CDDB9568-64CE-490F-B056-27062189D5B1.thumb.jpeg.827bfdbc3090631c52131486c771e9df.jpeg
Mine is looped through and hooked onto the lacing right at the knee break (very similarly to how it’s normally attached at the boot). It was a pain to get on but it’s well worth it and I think warrior should make it easier to do by putting rings at the knee break like there are at the boot. If you need better pictures I’d be happy to provide

If you could post some that would be awesome, no rush. 

On 7/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

After many many ice times with my G5’s I’m tempted to remove the knee strap in favor of a professor strap. The knee block is stiff enough and I feel like a professor strap would greatly benefit the way these pads play for me

My buddy’s doing that to my pads. Fake ice fly preliminary felt pretty good.  The one on the left got schooled by the professor. He rigged it up pretty good.

6E327BB0-17BD-4A61-AF99-F0FCA186C249.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

As you wish,

9BBBE16C-EB82-4224-AB89-9E6E6B4412C2.thumb.jpeg.e7dd06d7f7000a1799aa101023e206b6.jpeg

D0A7D59F-D916-40FB-97C0-77F6FABF08D6.thumb.jpeg.fe1263f595ae780be157678f944f2608.jpeg

@Dumpy love your mods but since I’ve never used one of these straps I love the inventiveness of @ThatCarGuy to give this a whirl. I have my broken in G4  bootstraps 🤔 

I tried ditching my bootstraps all together with my G5’s but for some reason I just don’t feel as safe though the time I tried it my pro laces came loose so maybe I’m worried about nothing. 

4 minutes ago, benner33 said:

@Dumpy love your mods but since I’ve never used one of these straps I love the inventiveness of @ThatCarGuy to give this a whirl. I have my broken in G4  bootstraps 🤔 

I tried ditching my bootstraps all together with my G5’s but for some reason I just don’t feel as safe though the time I tried it my pro laces came loose so maybe I’m worried about nothing. 

I can’t take credit, my buddy did these mods. My buddy was doing these for a modding exercise and he’s letting me get these when he’s done. He is wanting to start doing mods as another service he offers. I have used professor straps for a long time. If a pad is strapped the right way you dont need it but most pads arent tight enough on the calf below the knee which is why you use professor straps.

First time on the ice with the pads and it’s night and day from my last set of pads. I don’t know why it took so long for me to use modern pads. I thought it was going to be hard to transition from a Vaughn style soft double break pad to a somehow break stiffer pad but there was very little tinkering to get the pads right. 

glove:  this was the piece that I have to get use to the most. I’m coming from a double T Simmons glove to a single T glove. The glove was pretty much broken in but the pocket just feels smaller to me and I had a couple pucks hit the perimeter of the glove, I put it more on user error. 

blocker: I loved the blocker it felt awesome. I’m with most people that a blocker is a blocker but I felt like I was able to send pucks high off the glass or I to the netting very easy and could punch the puck into the glass. 

pads: I thought the pads would be my biggest adjustment but they are so light and easy to move around in. I was able to slide across the crease with ease. On fresh ice I was able to slide and just keep going, I was actually worried about over sliding in the beginning. Rebounds were huge and shot off instead of laying a couple feet out and leaving a nice rebound for the other team. 

my only real issue is that one of my pads was having an issue of not rotating fully back once going down and up. I’m not sure if strapping will really make this a problem it might be the ARS toe strap. I was wearing the boot strap along the back Lundy style and the from bungee through the front hole of my cowling on my CCM U+ skates. If this continues I might throw on my pro laces and see if this helps. 

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

First time on the ice with the pads and it’s night and day from my last set of pads. I don’t know why it took so long for me to use modern pads. I thought it was going to be hard to transition from a Vaughn style soft double break pad to a somehow break stiffer pad but there was very little tinkering to get the pads right. 

glove:  this was the piece that I have to get use to the most. I’m coming from a double T Simmons glove to a single T glove. The glove was pretty much broken in but the pocket just feels smaller to me and I had a couple pucks hit the perimeter of the glove, I put it more on user error. 

blocker: I loved the blocker it felt awesome. I’m with most people that a blocker is a blocker but I felt like I was able to send pucks high off the glass or I to the netting very easy and could punch the puck into the glass. 

pads: I thought the pads would be my biggest adjustment but they are so light and easy to move around in. I was able to slide across the crease with ease. On fresh ice I was able to slide and just keep going, I was actually worried about over sliding in the beginning. Rebounds were huge and shot off instead of laying a couple feet out and leaving a nice rebound for the other team. 

my only real issue is that one of my pads was having an issue of not rotating fully back once going down and up. I’m not sure if strapping will really make this a problem it might be the ARS toe strap. I was wearing the boot strap along the back Lundy style and the from bungee through the front hole of my cowling on my CCM U+ skates. If this continues I might throw on my pro laces and see if this helps. 

I literally can’t imagine using any pads without my pro laces anymore.