2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

In general, Brian’s makes a more flexible pad. Their stiff is probably more in line CCM flexible... which comes down to a preference issue. I don’t see anything wrong with this video? 

The only time flex is an issue is it’s too much torsionally and effects seal. 

I don't see it as an issue either. I think you need at least some sort of flex with all these new goaltending techniques, such as the RVH. You can definitely tell the difference in flex between the P1 and P2 as well.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can definitely confirm that I move more naturally in the Optik. Obviously the P2 is a great setup, but they’re definitely for different goalies 

I am going to finish my season with Optik and go back to P2 this summer and give it some more reps 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Stolen from @Matt

comp.jpg

Amazingly massive difference in between the two lines.

@TheGoalNet If I remember correctly, you mentioned that the new Optik C/A is in preparation for the C/A size cull that's upcoming from the NHL, but yet, Brian's is still guessing it may be smaller?

WOW that's a huge difference (pun intended). I'd be curious to see a front view. 

I've had so many plays where I can't see the puck in a scramble and it emerges, just hitting my shoulder and into the corner in my V7 XF. I can't imagine making that save in the new Optik. The mobility is definitely going to be bar none though. Vaughn's gonna lose their place as the most mobile chest protector. 

Stolen from @Matt

comp.jpg

Amazingly massive difference in between the two lines.

@TheGoalNet If I remember correctly, you mentioned that the new Optik C/A is in preparation for the C/A size cull that's upcoming from the NHL, but yet, Brian's is still guessing it may be smaller?

The NHL rules will go into effect sometime next season. The C&As are absolutely going to be cut down and everyone will look like Optik. Brian's is just getting ahead of the curve. 

Like with the post lockout pad size reduction, it's going to look weird for a bit and then we will all just to it. 

4 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

The NHL rules will go into effect sometime next season. The C&As are absolutely going to be cut down and everyone will look like Optik. Brian's is just getting ahead of the curve. 

Like with the post lockout pad size reduction, it's going to look weird for a bit and then we will all just to it. 

Hmm, for whatever reason I thought you mentioned that the new Optik was a middle ground to what the NHL is proposing and what is currently available. If all the gear is going to be similar to the Optik, then I'm all for it.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Hmm, for whatever reason I thought you mentioned that the new Optik was a middle ground to what the NHL is proposing and what is currently available. If all the gear is going to be similar to the Optik, then I'm all for it.

From my understanding... 

The NHL told everyone it was happening and created some guidelines. The NHL couldn't turn the guidelines into hard rules and the project stalled out. They pushed it back 12 months.

Brian's embraced the change and proceeded forward with the guidelines. Everyone else is holding back until they are forced. I have seen a protoype from another company and it looked like a combo between their popular existing unit and Optik. 

Like with the pad heights, they want these to be sized based on the player's body. That is very hard to implement. 

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

From my understanding... 

The NHL told everyone it was happening and created some guidelines. The NHL couldn't turn the guidelines into hard rules and the project stalled out. They pushed it back 12 months.

Brian's embraced the change and proceeded forward with the guidelines. Everyone else is holding back until they are forced. I have seen a protoype from another company and it looked like a combo between their popular existing unit and Optik. 

Like with the pad heights, they want these to be sized based on the player's body. That is very hard to implement. 

Good info.

So the other unit is obviously the new streamlined CCM right? I mean, which other factory's have you had the chance to visit recently? ;)

And that last point is something I never considered. Especially when you consider that some guys tuck/don't tuck.

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Good info.

So the other unit is obviously the new streamlined CCM right? I mean, which other factory's have you had the chance to visit recently? ;)

And that last point is something I never considered. Especially when you consider that some guys tuck/don't tuck.

Multiple NDAs signed with gear companies... CCM was just gracious enough to make some stuff public after the trip... ? 

27 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Multiple NDAs signed with gear companies... CCM was just gracious enough to make some stuff public after the trip... ? 

So you're not allowed to say names and gear specs right?

But can you say how many new versions of leg pads you've seen?

So you're not allowed to say names and gear specs right?

But can you say how many new versions of leg pads you've seen?

I have seen 2 sets of purely prototypes pads that yet not in stores. They will probably launch next season. I know of 1 longer term release which could be 2020? 

Also... 2S C&A is new spec. Forgot about that. 

For those of you that have FLY core optiks, how much have they softened?  Ideally I would like a single break pad but know this isn't a possibility with the optik line.  I know compared to other blocking style pads, the optik is on the softer side.

1 hour ago, CJ17 said:

For those of you that have FLY core optiks, how much have they softened?  Ideally I would like a single break pad but know this isn't a possibility with the optik line.  I know compared to other blocking style pads, the optik is on the softer side.

They have softened up a bit. I don’t know how to quantify how much? My gut says when my P2s soften up a bit, they will still be stiffer than Optik

What pads are you coming from?

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

They have softened up a bit. I don’t know how to quantify how much? My gut says when my P2s soften up a bit, they will still be stiffer than Optik

What pads are you coming from?

I'm coming from a V7 XR and really like the single break.

5 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm assuming the nylon straps are for a more secure, tight fit?

Yes, I don't understand the point of elastic for the torso. I don't want the rib padding to move and I tuck. It's just something that will loosen up and the fit will deteriorate over time 

Archived