2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Mroy31 kinda what I was saying the other day. I love how light the blocker is, the trade off is that the side wall is really thin and just seems to be able to move a lot. I left the air pad in mine mine, do you have that in the demo set?

Yeah, I have the air pad left in mine as well.  Just had my last skate with them last night.  Managed to squeak out a comeback win in the last game of my beer league playoff series (2 games, 3 points wins).

The blocker definitely just doesn't sit where I like it.  The strap is just too close to my hand.  Doesn't feel like it's going to fall off or anything, but I've been using Bauer for so long that it's just more comfortable for me.

14 hours ago, Hills said:

I find the Optiks slide better than 1S or my 1X, quite a bit better too.

I definitely don't find too much of a difference between the 2 (Optik and 1S, haven't used 1X).  Haven't used Optik enough to say definitely one slides better, but it's basically a toss-up for me at this point.

I have to take them back this weekend, but I think I've settled on 2S.  There are fewer things on the Bauers that I would want adjusted, most of them stock upgrades on 2S from 1S.  So I'm more comfortable staying in Bauers than spending a bunch of time getting the Optiks dialed in.

Great pad, I probably put it on par with the 1S, but doesn't fit my style well enough to take me away from Bauer.

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nice looking template.

I never understood the need to design a C/A. As long as it's a black base, that's all that should really matter.

I'm torn. All black makes the most sense for a lot of reasons. But I can't help but like the idea of making it match team colors. But I'm also the jackass with the custom paint job, custom striped maltese collar, and pro stock pants with the correct striping. 

2 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I'm torn. All black makes the most sense for a lot of reasons. But I can't help but like the idea of making it match team colors. But I'm also the jackass with the custom paint job, custom striped maltese collar, and pro stock pants with the correct striping. 

You're just matching skate laces and and an obnoxious multi-coloured cage from being that guy. :P

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You're just matching skate laces and and an obnoxious multi-coloured cage from being that guy. :P

... I had black VH skates with white accents and red laces.... which of course nobody can see under my pads, but I know they're there.

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

There's no "right" when it comes to this stuff. If you like to be dressed to 9s, have at it! No one on here is going to complain if you match too well. 

My only sensitivity is wondering what my teammates think sometimes :rofl:

3 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

There's no "right" when it comes to this stuff. If you like to be dressed to 9s, have at it! No one on here is going to complain if you match too well. 

Back when I was skating out I was always torn on whether I should wear what was "correct" for the jersey, or what the rest of my teammates were wearing. In the end I just stopped trying to match everything. 

19 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I wouldn't worry about it.

They all chalk it up to "Goalies being Goalies", "Goalies are weird", etc.

Hi goalies! 

Been a LONG time lurker of this site but I finally bit the bullet on joining because I have a question. 

I'm looking at getting a custom set of Optiks but I'm not sure how I should size them. Are the thigh rises on Brians still notoriously big?

A bit of a background, I'm currently in a pair of CCM EF3's in a 33+1. While I love the overall size of them, they are an inch too big in the knee stack causing slippage/other issues. It's pretty obvious to anyone that sees where my knee lands that I should be in a 32+2 in Warrior/Vaughn/CCM. I have some weird leg dimensions. My skate size is 8, my ATK is 17" and where I want them to land on my thigh is at about 10.5-11" (depending on how much the pad is pre-curved). As a more mobile goalie, I try to go as small as possible without being too small. 

Should I go the +2 route on the Optiks or stick to a 32+1.5? I prefer a softer pad (not because of any issues/injuries, I just grew up in Velocities) so the FLX core would be the best option for me. 

Love all the custom sets on this thread! It's amazing what Brian's can do. Shout out to the Optikpus. Would love to show my mockup and get chirped if someone wants to see a more boring Optik. Looking forward to being more active and not just reading threads!

16 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Hi goalies! 

Been a LONG time lurker of this site but I finally bit the bullet on joining because I have a question. 

I'm looking at getting a custom set of Optiks but I'm not sure how I should size them. Are the thigh rises on Brians still notoriously big?

A bit of a background, I'm currently in a pair of CCM EF3's in a 33+1. While I love the overall size of them, they are an inch too big in the knee stack causing slippage/other issues. It's pretty obvious to anyone that sees where my knee lands that I should be in a 32+2 in Warrior/Vaughn/CCM. I have some weird leg dimensions. My skate size is 8, my ATK is 17" and where I want them to land on my thigh is at about 10.5-11" (depending on how much the pad is pre-curved). As a more mobile goalie, I try to go as small as possible without being too small. 

Should I go the +2 route on the Optiks or stick to a 32+1.5? I prefer a softer pad (not because of any issues/injuries, I just grew up in Velocities) so the FLX core would be the best option for me. 

Love all the custom sets on this thread! It's amazing what Brian's can do. Shout out to the Optikpus. Would love to show my mockup and get chirped if someone wants to see a more boring Optik. Looking forward to being more active and not just reading threads!

I had the same issue with different pads so here's the trick I used

Take your existing pad, measure from the middle of the cradle to the top. Write down or remember whatever that measurement is. Go to a local store that has the Optik and measure the same area and compare.  Can't fail with this method.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Doc1200 said:

Hey guys, trying to figure sizing on the new Optiks.  6'2 and ATK is 18.5, I currently wear 37+1 Bauer NXG.  I was think of dropping to 36 with a 1.5 thigh on my Optiks. Thoughts?

same measurements, wearing 34+1 FLX. I generally like my pads a little small so my knee is 1/2" above center on the knee stack for better control.

3 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

same measurements, wearing 34+1 FLX. I generally like my pads a little small so my knee is 1/2" above center on the knee stack for better control.

Good to know, thanks. I like a big thigh rise and a stiff pad so I’m going FLY with a stiff  boot but maybe even 35+1.5 will do. Decisions, decisions!

Archived