2018 Brian's Optik

TheGoalNet

My kid has finally said its okay to post a picture of his new gear.  He finally share a picture on his IG account.  

He's had them on for about 12 hours of ice time, 3 games.  Getting more comfortable every ice time.  The pads a bit too big, but it doesn't seem to effect his movement at all.  He hasn't really said much about any difference in sliding from the G-Netik, but he often comments on how much lighter they are. 

He's also decided to drop the boot strap.  We was wearing it so loose I suggested he try just getting rid of it.  

I've always been impressed with how broken in the Brians gloves are, and this one seems to have taken that to whole new level.  I think it was more game ready than his G-Netik glove.

20180510_211025.jpg

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Matt said:

My kid has finally said its okay to post a picture of his new gear.  He finally share a picture on his IG account.  

He's had them on for about 12 hours of ice time, 3 games.  Getting more comfortable every ice time.  The pads a bit too big, but it doesn't seem to effect his movement at all.  He hasn't really said much about any difference in sliding from the G-Netik, but he often comments on how much lighter they are. 

He's also decided to drop the boot strap.  We was wearing it so loose I suggested he try just getting rid of it.  

I've always been impressed with how broken in the Brians gloves are, and this one seems to have taken that to whole new level.  I think it was more game ready than his G-Netik glove.

20180510_211025.jpg

Those look awesome..is that grey or metallic silver? After getting the latter, I'm in awe about how great it looks in person. Looks so much better than on a customizer or pics. Any custom specs to share, or did he just want to go full stock? 

Thanks.  I think they look pretty neat too, but some will think they are too busy.  On the customizer it looked a lot more grey than the silver that it is.  Everything is stock, except the glove is skatelace.

OPTD5a80c75dcef35-set.png

OPTD5a80c75dcef35-pads.png

DSC_1278-2.jpg

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Thanks.  I think they look pretty neat too, but some will think they are too busy.  On the customizer it looked a lot more grey than the silver that it is.  Everything is stock, except the glove is skatelace.

\DSC_1278-2.jpg

Digging the pads.

Minus style points for the Cert. Cat Eye. ?

4 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Why not just go straight bar?

He prefers it.  I think he just likes the look.  IMO you'll get used to whatever you are using.  New cage was an easy xmas gift idea...

Hello All,

I'm finally going to buy some new pads, glove, blocker set. (its been 10 years) I've been looking into CCM P2 and Brians Optik set. I haven't used or seen Brians before, but the Optik looks like a great pad. My local Goalie Monkey has a day where you can try all the pads with the Manufacturers there. I would say I'm a typical butterfly goalie, but I will do anything to make a save. 

My current set is Bauer RX10.

If anyone can shed some light into these pads I would greatly appreciate it before I head on over to Goalie Monkey. 

28 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Hello All,

I'm finally going to buy some new pads, glove, blocker set. (its been 10 years) I've been looking into CCM P2 and Brians Optik set. I haven't used or seen Brians before, but the Optik looks like a great pad. My local Goalie Monkey has a day where you can try all the pads with the Manufacturers there. I would say I'm a typical butterfly goalie, but I will do anything to make a save. 

If anyone can shed some light into these pads I would greatly appreciate it before I head on over to Goalie Monkey. 

The Optiks are a FANTASTIC pad! What would you like to know about them?

2 hours ago, Sharpie said:

Hello All,

Optik:

- some torsional flex with FLY model (more with FLX model) 

- tighter fitting let channel

- Brian's "stiff" is MUCH more flexible than CCM's stiff

- primo material slides effortlessly

- boot angle is not as high on Brian's

P2:

- rocketing rebounds (Optik has booming rebounds, but the consensus is that the Max Rebound Technology in the P2 is going to give the hardest/fastest rebounds

- torsional flex is pretty much non-existent, but that helps contribute to a more stable landing

- loose fitting, comparatively

- steep boot angle

Those are just a few differences. In short, I've found the Optik is a better option if you want a more connected feel to your leg, where as the CCM is a classic, looser feel with fantastic rotation.

I have the FLX Optiks, and it honestly feels like it's an extension of me. Even though it's a snugger fit, the elastic prevents it from getting so snug that it prevents rotation.

Thank you for the comparison. I've been thinking the Fly is more of my style. I currently wear a medium to loose fitting pad with my leather straps. I do like the stiff but not so stiff, so the rebounds can pop out fast but i'm not giving up to flexibility.  

How is the BOA strapping for the glove and blocker? 

22 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

Thank you for the comparison. I've been thinking the Fly is more of my style. I currently wear a medium to loose fitting pad with my leather straps. I do like the stiff but not so stiff, so the rebounds can pop out fast but i'm not giving up to flexibility.  

The BOA system is "set it and forget it". It really is the real deal. If you're custom ordering, the blocker doesn't NEED the BOA, but it doesn't hurt to have it.

My FLX pads still have booming rebounds, so don't worry about giving that up to flexibility. It seems like you have an idea for the stiffness you'd like already, so you're probably right to go with FLY. If you're able to try some on, make sure you check out the flexible boot, it's fantastic

2 hours ago, braedub90 said:

Optik:

- some torsional flex with FLY model (more with FLX model) 

- tighter fitting let channel

- Brian's "stiff" is MUCH more flexible than CCM's stiff

- primo material slides effortlessly

- boot angle is not as high on Brian's

P2:

- rocketing rebounds (Optik has booming rebounds, but the consensus is that the Max Rebound Technology in the P2 is going to give the hardest/fastest rebounds

- torsional flex is pretty much non-existent, but that helps contribute to a more stable landing

- loose fitting, comparatively

- steep boot angle

Those are just a few differences. In short, I've found the Optik is a better option if you want a more connected feel to your leg, where as the CCM is a classic, looser feel with fantastic rotation.

I have the FLX Optiks, and it honestly feels like it's an extension of me. Even though it's a snugger fit, the elastic prevents it from getting so snug that it prevents rotation.

1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

You'd be surprised, the Premier 2 is actually a pretty flexible pad especially compared to the P1. But the Optik FLY is still more flexible. 

The Quick Motion Strap on the Premiers can certainly get you a tight fit. For optimal pad rotation and control, you only need that one calf strap (hence why so many companies are switching to it as a stock option now). 

Boa is awesome. Feels like such a relief I no longer have to re tighten my nylon straps to feel secure in my glove.  

4 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

You'd be surprised, the Premier 2 is actually a pretty flexible pad especially compared to the P1. But the Optik FLY is still more flexible. 

The Quick Motion Strap on the Premiers can certainly get you a tight fit. For optimal pad rotation and control, you only need that one calf strap (hence why so many companies are switching to it as a stock option now). 

Boa is awesome. Feels like such a relief I no longer have to re tighten my nylon straps to feel secure in my glove.  

Thats great to hear. I played around with the customizer on CCM's website. If I was going to get the glove I would add the leather strap for a better fit.

44 minutes ago, Bradlb said:

What have been your guys experience been with Brian's ETA on Optiks? Mine is on the 11th and was just wondering if I should keep my expectations low. Thanks...

When they get there they get there.  There is no use in fussing over something you cannot control.  Keep yourself occupied and when they show up post some pictures. 

Decided to Buy Brian's Optik - Flex Core 35.5" +1"

After patiently waiting 10 weeks and another 2 weeks due to vacation etc. I was finally able to pick up my new Brian's Optik Goalie set from Pure Goalie this weekend!  The attached is a quick video of my anticipation before walking into the store.  I did not bother doing a video in the store but will be following up shortly with my home video with first impressions.

First off, a big shout out to "Wack" from Pure Goalie who helped me tremendously with my equipment set-up.  Many of you have seen his videos on YouTube and he is just so great to work with in providing top service.  I did look at other vendors and went with him for his expert knowledge and willingness to go the extra mile.  What he really helped me with was examining all the other brands, comparing my style (new goalie with narrow butterfly) and other preferences I had.  When making such a big purchase like this it's worth getting that help and really going over all the positives and negatives with each brand as each offers something slightly different.  

In the end I was sold on the Optik set based on quality, sliding abilities, design and visual options, the glove and the great protection the blocker offered.  More to come...

On 6/11/2018 at 10:28 PM, Adam Cooper said:

Here is the new Brian's Optik Flex Core 35.5" +1" set I picked up.  Further video impressions to come followed by some post on ice playing feedback.  

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_131fc.thumb.jpg.021130dce8bc1a1adcc57a64a398ab0a.jpg

Nice looking set. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new here but have been following the instagram a little while. I ordered the OPT1Ks pictured below about a week and a half ago. Hopefully they turn out as nice as the picture looks. Got double T, pro palm, boa on the glove, no boa on the blocker, FLX pads with eventually pro laces. I also got the Opt1k Chesty. Just wondering if people like the graphic and colours.

Jacob_Musselman_Custom_Graphic_With_Labels.jpg

IMG_20180617_004127_284.jpg

1 hour ago, Jacob Musselman said:

I'm new here but have been following the instagram a little while. I ordered the OPT1Ks pictured below about a week and a half ago. Hopefully they turn out as nice as the picture looks. Got double T, pro palm, boa on the glove, no boa on the blocker, FLX pads with eventually pro laces. I also got the Opt1k Chesty. Just wondering if people like the graphic and colours.

Jacob_Musselman_Custom_Graphic_With_Labels.jpgIMG_20180617_004127_284.jpg

Sick set, Jacob.  Welcome to the board!

Archived