Tucker Tydan injury

Big2

Saw the video. Gruesome is a mild word for that. I wear cut resistant hockey socks.I have a feeling that I need to find a kevlar baselayer, as well.  I laugh that I am afraid of getting hurt at the stick and puck due to the lack of skill, but we soon forget that we do have blades on our feet and could easily get hurt or worse. 

,Will be contacting Gladiator regarding their Pro socks

Will be contacting a company called Daredevil - this is an undergarment

I have to say that this has been a concern of mine for years, bought some gladiator socks ( not the ones that go onto your feet - the ones players wear over their pads ) and my son did not wear them

I hope to get him into one of these options shortly 

will keep you posted

Hopefully it wasn't his left leg/artery (haven't seen video yet).

Sounds like what happened to Cam Ward about 10 years ago? He ended up switching to what seemed like medieval knight" chain link by his thighs/knee. Could've been kevlar infused for all I know. Can't find the pic of them.

Burgalicious - the product I believe your talking about is called Safe socks: this is a still mesh like the one used in meat packing industry gloves.

This product is CUT PROOF 

All the other products are cut resistant - and on the video I saw earlier today these products are not as good as I thought.   Y son has been using the tuff and lite socks for years but I’m looking for protection on his upper leg.

8 minutes ago, Md30 said:

i would hate to think of what would happen to many of us at the amateur level, playing a 10pm game without having medical support at the facility if something like this were to occur

10:30 pm... skate blade coming right at my neck... very fortunate I tucked my chin down.  Guys on the bench said they were fully expecting to see a crease full of blood.

ChinScrape.jpg

15 minutes ago, Md30 said:

i would hate to think of what would happen to many of us at the amateur level, playing a 10pm game without having medical support at the facility if something like this were to occur

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking, too.  We'd be lucky if there was even a towel available on the bench for pressing down on a cut and by the time someone got their act together, made it to the locker room, got a phone, called 911, etc......it could be a very bad situation. 

22 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Man, that's exactly what I was thinking, too.  We'd be lucky if there was even a towel available on the bench for pressing down on a cut and by the time someone got their act together, made it to the locker room, got a phone, called 911, etc......it could be a very bad situation. 

Maybe my Gladiator socks need to be sewn into my breezers...

Haven't seen the video yet. Reading about the incident, I can guarantee many of us get close calls every game. Knowing this can happen at anytime, I've cut back on my aggressive poke checks and paddle downs, just in case. You can tell what will go down just by looking at your opponents. Even one of your teammates could be the reason for injury by not being solid on his skates or a lack of smart positioning.

Be careful out there guys and gals.

Such a crazy incident. Hope he has a full recovery. A couple year’s ago I managed to kick the inside of my left knee with heel of my right skate during a scramble in front of the net. I kept playing for few minutes and then noticed the blood all over the ice. I only ended up with a few stitches but I just missed vein. I was super lucky. I actually played against the team it happened against last night, and one of their guys was asking me about it. I wear Cut proof protection now. I think this is something that gets overlooked too much when it can be such a serious situation. 

28 minutes ago, Matt35 said:

Such a crazy incident. Hope he has a full recovery. A couple year’s ago I managed to kick the inside of my left knee with heel of my right skate during a scramble in front of the net. I kept playing for few minutes and then noticed the blood all over the ice. I only ended up with a few stitches but I just missed vein. I was super lucky. I actually played against the team it happened against last night, and one of their guys was asking me about it. I wear Cut proof protection now. I think this is something that gets overlooked too much when it can be such a serious situation. 

What do you wear now Matt?

Anyone notice that any cut proof hockey socks are warmer less breathable than the normal versions?

13 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Anyone notice that any cut proof hockey socks are warmer less breathable than the normal versions?

Yes, cut proof/resistant socks are less breathable than regular socks, because part of the cut proofing/resistance is having a fabric with a tighter knit/weave. Kinda like how steel chain with smaller rings tolerates less penetration (i.e. is more protective) than steel chain with larger rings. There's more materials science that goes into making cut proof/resistant fabrics, but as a rule of thumb if a fabric is claiming to be cut proof/resistant, but it doesn't feel substantially thicker or stiffer or more tightly knit than a regular sock, it probably isn't any good.

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Maybe my Gladiator socks need to be sewn into my breezers...

If purchasing Gladiator socks online, do you know if they sell in pairs or individually? The images, and price, makes me think they sell individually, but I'd like to know for sure before ordering.

29 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Bought mine in pairs.

$35 for a pair of Dyneema hockey socks seems really cheap.

[EDIT] Either way, I've got some ordered now; I'll gladly spend a little money if it means not bleeding out on the ice because of a bad collision.

I've got a 2" scar on my inner thigh from a similar collision that happened in peewee, which would have been something like 22 years ago. I used to wear team matching hockey socks back then, the skate cut through those and my long johns. Kinda hurt, but I didn't pay it much attention until I realized the sock was bloody at intermission. Stuffed a small towel in my sock and taped it up. I don't think I ever mentioned it to anyone, but it was probably worthy of stitches.

Prior to seeing the incident last night I never really gave any thought to how much worse my situation could have been. It's crazy seeing how much blood Tydan lost in a short period of time.

29 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Forgive me as I've been to lazy to actually read any of the articles, I just watched the video.  Has it been mentioned where it actually got him?  I assume above the knee guard on his lower thigh?

It cut the femoral artery in his right thigh, all the way to the bone.  Successful repairs in surgery. 

Screenshot_20191213-182549_Samsung Internet.jpg

23 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Thanks, I just wasn't 100% where on his leg it got him.  I assumed the goal pant got pushed up and got him above the knee pad.

Yeah, that's what I assume too.  I've only seen the 1 camera angle and it's hard to tell.

16 hours ago, seagoal said:

After it happened I got in touch with the guy that ran Tuff n lite hockey. I tried going on their website yesterday, but I think they closed down. He did a lot of custom stuff for pro’s. We tried coming up with a few ideas but covering the inside of the knee was a bit tricky. He ended up sending me a few 9”x9” squares of cut proof material that I tuck into the top of my cut proof socks and wrap around my knee. Then I wear base layer pants on top to hold the squares in place. My knee pad helps keep it in place too. It works pretty well but I’d like to find a better solution. All the cut proof base layer pants out there leave too many spots unprotected. 

Archived