TRUE Goalie Skates - 1 Piece vs. 2 Piece

Tim_TRUEHockey

On 11/16/2023 at 5:30 PM, Madmedic6 said:

The new model will be a contender to the konekt. That's all I can say. 

Anything you can add to this now? What about the rest of the goalie skates, staying the same with the TF9 and 7, as well as the custom options?

7 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Anything you can add to this now? What about the rest of the goalie skates, staying the same with the TF9 and 7, as well as the custom options?

There will be 3 levels of retail goalie states 5x4,7x4, and the 9x4 along with custom one and two piece. The heels are reinforced with a protective pad over them. And the sides mimic the custom skates. The new insert in the heel/ankle is supposed to mimic the articulation of a konekt. 

Screenshot_20240503-120508.png

Screenshot_20240503-120524.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

There will be 3 levels of retail goalie states 5x4,7x4, and the 9x4 along with custom one and two piece. The heels are reinforced with a protective pad over them. And the sides mimic the custom skates. The new insert in the heel/ankle is supposed to mimic the articulation of a konekt. 

Thanks for the info. Custom is staying essentially the same then?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2024 at 11:08 AM, Madmedic6 said:

Curious how this skate would mimic the Konekt.  I don't see any moving parts on it...

On 5/3/2024 at 5:01 PM, RichMan said:

Same narrow toe box I guess -_- 

IF anyone is interested, i'm putting a link below to better show and explain why this ☝️ is so important to me. Now I know the video is on soccer cleats, but the message remains the same regardless. I will state that the flex of the sole for skates must remain stiff no matter what for obvious reasons, I understand that, but the energy transfer rules from foot to ankle to knee to thigh still remains the same.

I find his explanation to be quite detailed and well thought out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichMan said:

Wanted to ask, those of you who got custom 2-piece skates, what was the process? Scan or just sizing info? Had you tried the off the shelf stuff first and was there a considerable difference between both?

Last week I tried on the 9x4's in store (was coming from a pair of Tf9's which I really liked). They had a similar feel, but the 9x4's did seem like an overall improvement and a step up. However, my store also had the new Bauer FitLab scanning system, and it turns out I have extremely flat feet that aren't really close to the same size, which probably explains why I've never been able to find a pair of skates that are comfortable for both feet.

So in the end I decided to order the 2 piece customs. The process was really easy - the guy in the store used the True app to take various photos of my feet from different angles, and also measured my feet to determine their size. But ultimately they go by the scans. He also included specific info like, "normally experiences inner ankle bone pain", or other details that would be relevant to them when building the molds. There's a few other options that you can pick from, which also gets submitted and then you're done. That's about it.

Can't speak to how they compare to retail since I don't have them yet! Hopefully in a couple of weeks. Wait time right now is 3 weeks.

• Like 1

I'm curious to see how different the 7x4 and 9x4's really are. The 9x4's feel like the shelf customs to me and the bullet points make it look like the only separators between the 7 and 9 are the steel and the insole.  I'm happy moving my old insole over and just replacing the steel whenever if the price gap is that much. 

4 minutes ago, WONGER said:

I'm curious to see how different the 7x4 and 9x4's really are. The 9x4's feel like the shelf customs to me and the bullet points make it look like the only separators between the 7 and 9 are the steel and the insole.  I'm happy moving my old insole over and just replacing the steel whenever if the price gap is that much. 

There was an employee knowledge thing that was posted today on their education app. The True representative in the video stated that the differences between 7x4 and 9x4 were the steel (black vs stainless), insole and color. They may have accidentally posted it early because I can't get back into it.

2 hours ago, Teezle said:

Is there an update to the custom 1 piece for this year? I am looking at refreshing my skates this summer; currently in an 2017 version of the 2 piece.

I'm trying to find out now but there's no mention of the MotionCuff on the 23-24 custom skate catalog...

17 minutes ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

Still trying to understand how this rivals the Konekt..... Some people were saying it was more revolutionary than the Konekt, but I'm not seeing the features/benefits.  

It's not as radical as the Konekt, should offer 3-5 degrees of forward flex.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

I'm trying to find out now but there's no mention of the MotionCuff on the 23-24 custom skate catalog...

Good to know. I guess just the improved materials then.

9 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The Konekt claims to be 22 degrees of forward flex. 3-5 is basically negligible in comparison, so I'm not really seeing how True can claim it to be a "competitor." They can be different skates! It is okay for people to prefer different things. I wish companies recognized this more 🙃

Edited by Teezle

19 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

Can't you just get that by changing how you lace-up your skates? And seeing how damn stiff the True boots are, I don't see anything possible really. I bet I get as much flex in my Bauer X700 skates as claimed by True. 

I guess we'll have to wait for user feedback.

Debating what to do here.  Really want to try a pair of True goalie skates.  I have a pair of their lowest price point player skates and they are the most comfortable skates I’ve worn playing out.  I only play one-ish times a week, though, and the debate is whether to go with the 5x4 or the 7x4.  The two biggest differences appear to be the boot material and the lack of the Motion Cuff.  Given how happy I am with the boot in the player skates, I feel like I can live with that (which obviously assumes a similar level of comfort), and I question if I’d even really notice a few extra degrees of ROM.  

I have a pair of 2nd price point Konekts, and feel like they’ve improved my game, but I have an extra bone in both of my feet below the ankle and the one protrudes pretty far and has started to bother me in those boots.  I can’t get them to mold enough to be comfortable, and am hopeful the Trues will given my experience with my other pair. 

Edited by sescaro