Why Full Right term?

jks435

I have been a hockey fan for years in spite of living in Oz since 1982.  My credentials are having been in attendance when the Leafs last won the Stanley Cup.  Maybe this year!   I am researching the origin terms used to describe goalies -  regular & full right - but have been unable to find any information.  There is an impressive list of full right goalies: https://thehockeywriters.com/who-were-the-best-full-right-goalies-in-nhl-history/ but nowhere can I find why the terminology developed.  Any help will be appreciated. cheers, jks435

Edited by jks435
more detail required

I would assume because when you are full right you shoot right handed and when you are regular you shoot left handed.  Either that or because you catch with your right hand instead of the left.

Edited by Drew37
Sp

I’ve been told I’m a bit of an anomaly because I’m left handed but used regular gloves. In my personal option I believe this is how it should be because I shoot left handed with a player stick and a goalie stick. I’m not sure why most consider that left handed goalies should be full right it never made sense to me. As important as playing the puck is I’d think you’d want to shoot the same with a goal stick as you would a player stick. Apologies if that made no sense

• Like 2

On 6/1/2020 at 4:53 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

I’ve been told I’m a bit of an anomaly because I’m left handed but used regular gloves. In my personal option I believe this is how it should be because I shoot left handed with a player stick and a goalie stick. I’m not sure why most consider that left handed goalies should be full right it never made sense to me. As important as playing the puck is I’d think you’d want to shoot the same with a goal stick as you would a player stick. Apologies if that made no sense

Makes perfect sense to me, but then I do the exact same thing. It took me a while to figure out why a lot of goalies were having issues shooting the puck, but then I realized playing the way you and I do, (assuming you shoot left, which I do) makes it a lot easier.

I think the “logic” behind fullrights catching with their right hand is, that’s what you would need to do in baseball – catch right throw left (indirectly, that is why I play "regular"). A lot of people probably can’t comprehend the idea of catching with different hands in different sports making sense. Having said that, I can’t count how many people I know who are right handed that golf or shoot left…

The fact is, as a left-handed person, you get used to making modifications in a lot of things you do in life to fit into a right handed world (along with the consequential mockery).

Personally, I can cut paper with left-handed scissors as I never owned a pair in my life

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

On 6/2/2020 at 10:25 AM, Colander said:

Makes perfect sense to me, but then I do the exact same thing. It took me a while to figure out why a lot of goalies were having issues shooting the puck, but then I realized playing the way you and I do, (assuming you shoot left, which I do) makes it a lot easier.

I think the “logic” behind fullrights catching with their right hand is, that’s what you would need to do in baseball – catch right throw left (indirectly, that is why I play "regular"). A lot of people probably can’t comprehend the idea of catching with different hands in different sports making sense. Having said that, I can’t count how many people I know who are right handed that golf or shoot left…

The fact is, as a left-handed person, you get used to making modifications in a lot of things you do in life to fit into a right handed world (along with the consequential mockery).

Personally, I can cut paper with left-handed scissors as I never owned a pair in my life

See, people thought it was weird when I was a kid that I'm right handed and shoot/bat/golf/whatever-stick left. I derive all dexterity of my stick movements with my top hand when I skate out, so I just had my left hand do gross motor of pushing the stick. When I started playing goalie I was already so used to catching with my left hand, throwing with my right, and shooting left that it just made sense. My brother, also a goalie and better at playing the puck, shoots right as a player but left as a goalie.

I always assumed it was "Full Right" because you catch right handed and shoot right.

@keeperton See my problem with baseball was I catch and throw left handed so I learned later to catch right. Once I started goalie I was given a regular hand set of gloves and my glove side coordination was just incredible because I’m a lefty. On top of that I could play the puck better than some of the players in my league at the time because I bat and shot left. 

Yup I’m left handed and use regular gloves so I can shoot the same way I would with a player stick. I fully agree. 

• Like 1

I always understood what "Regular" and "Full Right" meant in goalie terms. But now that I think about it, why not just "Left" and "Right" like players? Makes more sense. Obviously you are going to shoot/catch on the same side (ie: right or left). Actually, I'll bet that in the next 5 years it gets changed. Not because it makes sense tho. But because in the touchy-feely world we now live in, "Regular" probably makes the "Full Right" people feel bad because it implies they are "irregular". Some loony-tune Liberal will probably read this post, call Soros, set up some some goalie "Human Rights" NGO, flood the NHL and goalie mfgrs with emails and calls demanding change against systemic degradation of the Full-Right community, the media will pick up on it, and people in black clothes and masks will start smashing and looting at Goalie Monkey, Vaughn and other goalie resources. Once all the goalie gear has been burned and looted, there will be no gear left for anyone, and since everyone knows goalies can't play in last years outdated goalie gear, we won't be able to play and will have to just sit home and cancel the season. Great, thanks alot you Full Right weirdos, now you ruined it for everyone.

• Haha 4

Well, that went sideways fast.....

It isn't "obvious" that you will catch/shoot on the same side.  Marty Turco is the most recent "famous" example I can think of....a goalie who caught "regular" but shot "right".  Hence how the Turco method of playing the puck came into existence.

I can't say I have encountered a full right goalie who shoots left though, so yes they are called "full right" because they shoot and catch right.

Also being left-handed, I catch with my right hand in baseball (and in general), but as a goalie I catch "regular" since I shoot left.  As someone mentioned, left-handed people are more ambidextrous as we have had to conform to a right-handed dominated world.  It really wasn't a big deal to start catching with my left hand when I started playing goal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hockey School Dropout said:

Well, that went sideways fast.....

It isn't "obvious" that you will catch/shoot on the same side.  Marty Turco is the most recent "famous" example I can think of....a goalie who caught "regular" but shot "right".  Hence how the Turco method of playing the puck came into existence.

2020 only goes sideways....

...and what's this "narrative" about Turco "shooting right"? A quick "fact check" has "debunked" your "conspiracy theory"...

turco.JPG

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

Holy crap. I never saw/noticed that. Crazy. The stick-blade curve is the wrong way then, it's like shooting back-handed.

I loved his TPS gear back in the day 🤘

From what I remember, he mostly shot it "backwards", so that the puck was still on the forehand, but it went behind him instead. Almost like a rowing a boat motion. Worked well enough for him, but I'm not sure I'd try it these days!

Edited by Teezle

• 1 year later...
On 9/7/2020 at 5:59 PM, estogoalie said:

I always understood what "Regular" and "Full Right" meant in goalie terms. But now that I think about it, why not just "Left" and "Right" like players? Makes more sense. Obviously you are going to shoot/catch on the same side (ie: right or left). Actually, I'll bet that in the next 5 years it gets changed. Not because it makes sense tho. But because in the touchy-feely world we now live in, "Regular" probably makes the "Full Right" people feel bad because it implies they are "irregular". Some loony-tune Liberal will probably read this post, call Soros, set up some some goalie "Human Rights" NGO, flood the NHL and goalie mfgrs with emails and calls demanding change against systemic degradation of the Full-Right community, the media will pick up on it, and people in black clothes and masks will start smashing and looting at Goalie Monkey, Vaughn and other goalie resources. Once all the goalie gear has been burned and looted, there will be no gear left for anyone, and since everyone knows goalies can't play in last years outdated goalie gear, we won't be able to play and will have to just sit home and cancel the season. Great, thanks alot you Full Right weirdos, now you ruined it for everyone.

I call goalies "right blocker" and "left blocker" based on which hand they wear the blocker on. A regular goalie is right blocker, and a full right goalie is left blocker. Right now, I'm right blocker, but I'm looking to experiment with playing left blocker, if not switching to left blocker. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I tried playing left blocker, and I enjoyed it. Playing the puck is much easier with a stick that has a right-handed curve, and once I got used to having the stick in my left hand, there was not much of a difference between making saves with a left blocker setup as there was with my former right blocker setup. I am now officially a silly-side, left blocker (full right) goalie. 

On 2/28/2022 at 9:48 AM, Scythe said:

I write and bat left. Kick and throw right, catch left.

But the most important thing is I can cut steak with my left hand and eat it with my right 😎

Fluidly. 

I can’t cut with my left if I tried lol, I also kicked mostly right when I played soccer  but batted left when I played baseball 

before I played goal, it was natural for me to shoot lefty but concluded that catching left was a no go, now I can’t see myself shooting left anymore 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Scythe said:

I write and bat left. Kick and throw right, catch left.

But the most important thing is I can cut steak with my left hand and eat it with my right 😎

Fluidly. 

I’m the same except I throw left and catch right. But cutting left and eating right just means you’re “built different”. Built left handed

• Like 1