Bauer Chest protectors-good or bad?

I’m in the market for a new chest protector and have heard both good and bad things about bauer chest protectors. I’m hoping to at least have the chest protector for two years and am going to prep school the year following this upcoming one. So I definitely need something which is very protective and loved the bauer 2s pro when I tried it on but just don’t know how protective it truly is. Thanks, all help us appreciated!

15 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

I’m in the market for a new chest protector and have heard both good and bad things about bauer chest protectors. I’m hoping to at least have the chest protector for two years and am going to prep school the year following this upcoming one. So I definitely need something which is very protective and loved the bauer 2s pro when I tried it on but just don’t know how protective it truly is. Thanks, all help us appreciated!

Bauer C/A's are used everywhere from the show to the lowly beer leagues.

They're not the most popular brand, believe Vaughn is still rocking that title, but, I wouldn't worry about protection level in any off the shelf pro Bauer unit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hockey1234 said:

Have you looked at any other companies? I'm not sure where you are located but I just picked up a Passau pro pack on sale and with the exchange rate I got a killer deal. So far its been very protective and I'm still getting use to the bulkiness but already feel more solid in it than my previous chesty. you can pick up a chesty that will last you more than just your two years while being possibly cheaper and more protective.

I'm not bad mouthing any other companies I haven't had any experience with them, in fact I tried on a Vaughn and loved it and still think about getting one just because it was so mobile.

3 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

Looking at the chesty they just release, I wouldn't trust it.  My last Bauer chesty was an NXG and I loved it.

If you're also facing grade A shooters I'd recommend a chesty that's also beefed up

Ultrasonic definitely looks questionable. It’d take a pretty good deal on it for me to get one

I ended up purchasing an ultrasonic chest protector. It felt protective and fit me well compared to a lot of other chest protectors on the market. I’m 5 10 and around 140 pounds so I often find chest protectors are too wide around my chest/waist area. Probably the best fitting I’ve felt for a chest protector and the mobility on it was insane. I’ll provide updates on the protection of it!

• Like 1

I've been using the 2S Pro, had an NXG for a bit a while ago too, the 2S is like a space age NXG honestly. Think curve composite making it feel lighter, but still solid. Doesn't wrap around you like a Vaughn or the more "mobile" units, so I can understand when people say they "feel" like it's not protective, but if you already liked the fit of it then I think you'll be good especially for just 2 years. 

@mr_shifty1982 @ThatCarGuy is it the new elbow floater design you guys are spooked by? The body looks like another NXG iteration, but don't see why the elbows would be less protective. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

I've been using the 2S Pro, had an NXG for a bit a while ago too, the 2S is like a space age NXG honestly. Think curve composite making it feel lighter, but still solid. Doesn't wrap around you like a Vaughn or the more "mobile" units, so I can understand when people say they "feel" like it's not protective, but if you already liked the fit of it then I think you'll be good especially for just 2 years. 

@mr_shifty1982 @ThatCarGuy is it the new elbow floater design you guys are spooked by? The body looks like another NXG iteration, but don't see why the elbows would be less protective. 

The materials are very very questionable in the new one. I felt very protective in my nxg. After that I wanted to look bigger and went premier beefed. 

8 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

@Mroy31 not at all, I wear a G4 pro chest protector so I’m used to unusual arm designs just the Ultrasonic looks a little thin all around

Ah, got it. I haven't seen one up close but that's something I'd say most of the Supreme line feels like for sure. There's a similar feeling with all the OD1N style pads, where they feel very thin and like it's just kind of a board on the front of your leg.

It's hard to describe, but the thinner stuff does feel harder to compensate and it starts to really feel normal pretty quickly. I totally get that initial aversion to the stuff though. 

I can’t speak for prep level players, but I have a 2x pro that I love - super mobile, comfortable right out of the box. I like it a lot more than my prior Vaughn (mobility issues) and CCM (fell apart on me in the aughts). I also just grabbed an Optik 2 (GM has a glitch that discounted it by like 30%). Super beefy but stiff and immobile out of the box compared to the 2x pro. I also have questions re the stock arms on any chestie as I have had ongoing issues with the occasional welt on the upper biceps area. Good luck on the purchase.

Used it on the ice yesterday for the first time! Ended up with one light “stinger”. I felt it for maybe 3 seconds but the pains went away very quickly. It was on the forearm area where I sort of expected would be the worst place protection wise. The shot was from a 20 year old though who plays in the nahl and is playing d3 next year. So I would say It’s definitely protective enough for me! Extremely comfortable and easy to get used to. I thought the arms would take forever to get used to, only thing that’s different is how it fits on me. I had the ccm premier pro(2017 I think) and the body was way too wide around me so I’m used to having space around my chest. On the bauer it fits snug which I definitely prefer. Have to play around with the tucking and shoulder strap options though as there are many ways to do it. As well as I may do more adjustments on the shoulders! 

7 minutes ago, Hockey1234 said:

Used it on the ice yesterday for the first time! Ended up with one light “stinger”. I felt it for maybe 3 seconds but the pains went away very quickly. It was on the forearm area where I sort of expected would be the worst place protection wise. The shot was from a 20 year old though who plays in the nahl and is playing d3 next year. So I would say It’s definitely protective enough for me! Extremely comfortable and easy to get used to. I thought the arms would take forever to get used to, only thing that’s different is how it fits on me. I had the ccm premier pro(2017 I think) and the body was way too wide around me so I’m used to having space around my chest. On the bauer it fits snug which I definitely prefer. Have to play around with the tucking and shoulder strap options though as there are many ways to do it. As well as I may do more adjustments on the shoulders! 

An hour on the ice and a stinger already? Still, not right for the purchase price of these units.  I don't know how they justify the price 🤦‍♂️ hopefully you don't face these types of shots on a regular basis. 

Second time on the ice was yesterday, ended up with even more stingers on my arms from not so high level players. Everywhere else it’s protected extremely well besides the arms. The arms are also very weird and can get stuck on the shoulder flaps. Blocker saves were already one of my weaknesses but now it’s even worse. It felt like I couldn’t stop anything high blocker and was getting beat there all day. Going to try to return it and get a different chest protector, extremely disappointed with bauer on this chest protector. 

3 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

So @mr_shifty1982 what is it about the materials that you find so suspect? The 2s pro arms I found absolutely nothing wrong with, so wondering if they are trying some major material change along with the elbow design?

Could also be psychological that you've influenced what @Hockey1234 considers a stinger now :P

Definitely not, I just shouldn’t be getting that bad of a stinger from a pro level chest protector. I think I’m gonna go for a Ccm axis chest protector. 

2 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

So @mr_shifty1982 what is it about the materials that you find so suspect? The 2s pro arms I found absolutely nothing wrong with, so wondering if they are trying some major material change along with the elbow design?

Could also be psychological that you've influenced what @Hockey1234 considers a stinger now :P

I'm not sure, it seems like the materials are way too thin for my liking.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am satisfied with my 1X, despite the fact that essentially, there are parts that never seem to break in, but I played in it the FIRST day I had it and it felt great. The parts with the crazy plastics bounce a bit and I have to be super conscious about cradling the puck if I want a whistle. I think the newer variants improve on the 1X greatly. The arms are weird on the 1X.