The Mask Thread

It is interesting to note that the NME 10's in the NHL have the traditional Rubatex-type foam like the original 961 rather than the stock padding that you would get from one off the shelf. The issue I have is like what @Big2 mentioned: they have access to a custom fitted mask yet not all get them (backplate gaps anyone?); and how loose masks in general are worn. Yes, some head shapes do fit stock shells well, most could fit better in a custom fitted mask. I remember being shocked seeing Ryan Miller taking a strap snap off to take off his mask instead of the majority of goalies who wear their mask loose enough to just take off the mask with the snaps still on. This is a problem in general in hockey though; many players wear their helmets way too loose so they are far less effective for their intended purpose.

10 hours ago, TitanG said:

It is interesting to note that the NME 10's in the NHL have the traditional Rubatex-type foam like the original 961 rather than the stock padding that you would get from one off the shelf. The issue I have is like what @Big2 mentioned: they have access to a custom fitted mask yet not all get them (backplate gaps anyone?); and how loose masks in general are worn. Yes, some head shapes do fit stock shells well, most could fit better in a custom fitted mask. I remember being shocked seeing Ryan Miller taking a strap snap off to take off his mask instead of the majority of goalies who wear their mask loose enough to just take off the mask with the snaps still on. This is a problem in general in hockey though; many players wear their helmets way too loose so they are far less effective for their intended purpose.

John Gibson is another one notorious for wearing an ill fitting mask.  My mask fits the same as Miller.  I wear it tight enough that I have to unsnap one strap in order to get it on/off.

11 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

It wasn’t a concussion but this logic still applies.

My point is not that one mask is inherently better than another, just that a custom fitted mask most likely is as the fit is one of (if not the) most important aspects of a mask, meaning a mass-produced mask made with the philosophy that 3 sizes fit all is probably not the best possible choice. Custom padding the same mask would most likely help too, which I do not see typically with these types of masks in the NHL.

Also, due to the nature of mass-production, there are sometimes flaws introduced simply because of a want to reduce costs (rightfully or not). Just think back to the major recall Bauer had a couple years ago for their titanium cages due to a "quality issue" per Health Canada -- a kid got a serious injury from one breaking. Yes, you can get a serious injury wearing any mask, but if it is due to cost cutting that makes it all the worse.

30 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s interesting you mention that, since the stock padding in the NME is the reason I wear one. 

Recent pic of Holtby's mask on DaveArt shows the stock padding. Not sure what he uses in real life. 

Bishop is particularly fascinating because he oscillated through masks when he broke in Warwick, CCM, and eventually settled on the NME

for most guys I figure they don't put much thought into it. They get to the CHL or NCAA and pick a Bauer because they know it's the most popular in the pros and then they don't switch 

I forgot to add that the shot he received was a wrist shot not a slap shot from Weber it seemed relatively innofensive  - imagine him getting hit by one of Weber's slap shots?

My son got 2/3 shots to his Protechsport this weekend  - he doesn't play in the NHL so they where far from being anywhere near as hard as a pros shot, but nothing, and on top of that his still use his head to make a save if he can't get a glove or blocker to it first!

If I played at an elite level I would certainly be wearing the best head protection possible!

19 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

That’s interesting you mention that, since the stock padding in the NME is the reason I wear one. 

Yeah it's just the NHL goalies that don't use the stock padding. Not sure why -- maybe Bauer thinks they prefer the Rubatex-type foam?

CHL and other leagues where guys use the NME have the stock padding as far as I can tell.

19 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Recent pic of Holtby's mask on DaveArt shows the stock padding. Not sure what he uses in real life. 

Bishop is particularly fascinating because he oscillated through masks when he broke in Warwick, CCM, and eventually settled on the NME

for most guys I figure they don't put much thought into it. They get to the CHL or NCAA and pick a Bauer because they know it's the most popular in the pros and then they don't switch 

Yeah I noticed the Holtby thing. Bauer must send out the mask for painting with the stock padding, then when they bring it back re-pad using the Rubatex-like foam. Also I don't think Bishop wore Warwick -- it was an Eddy and when they went out of business is when he tried CCM and Bauer.

braden-holtby-new-mask1.jpg.be5d01db233dfff74b8de4e11407b0a0.jpg

859076308.thumb.jpg.38e90b6023baff4bd4e9eddc73ff91bc.jpg

2 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@TitanG - Sportmask shells have really grown on me. 

If I ever went true custom, I'd strongly consider one 

Any idea on the cost? 

Your guess is as good as mine, though probably in the range of the other manufacturers pro custom (~$1500+).

On 10/8/2017 at 9:19 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

John Gibson is another one notorious for wearing an ill fitting mask.  My mask fits the same as Miller.  I wear it tight enough that I have to unsnap one strap in order to get it on/off.

Gibson wears his mask like a lot of the CHL guys did a few years ago. The straight bar cage sightlines on those Bauers were awful (cat eye is illegal to sell in Canada and the CHL bans them too). My C2 mask had the same problem. I got far better sight lines through the cage by tipping it up a bit. It never led to any real issues from pucks to the mask except once where a shot hit me hard enough to knock the mask back and the chin cup ended up hitting my upper lip pretty hard.  Though, a one time at the hasmarks to the face isn't a fun shot regardless of the mask you're wearing.

I've switched to a Cat Eye and have tightened down the straps a lot more now and it's been better. Still need to do some more adjustments, but I'm at a point where it feels weird not too tip it up, even a slight amount.

On 10/10/2017 at 1:10 PM, TitanG said:

Whoa who made that mask?

On 10/11/2017 at 11:40 AM, AG37 said:

Painted by Doug Wager at Weasel Head in 2015. Cant remember if it was a standard Warwick shell or a totally custom build.

That's a Defender, not a Warwick.  Defender is made by a Warwick though, Gary's son Chad.

11 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's a Defender, not a Warwick.  Defender is made by a Warwick though, Gary's son Chad.

Definitly NOT a Defender, vent holes are not 'D' shaped. Like I said this was either a Warwick or a totally custom build from my memory.

12 minutes ago, AG37 said:

Definitly NOT a Defender, vent holes are not 'D' shaped. Like I said this was either a Warwick or a totally custom build from my memory.

The ear vents are 2 D shaped holes with the flat edges facing each other in the middle and the rounded part of the "D" facing away from each other.  Defender.

edit - As I was.  After zooming in I do see that they're not in fact D shaped.  If you look at the bottom of the "B" in Tampa Bay you can see there is more to the vent hole.  It has a rounded off triangular shape to them.

edit 2 - Actually looking at the bottom ear vent it doesn't even look like the same shape of the top vent.  Is anyone else seeing this too or am I blind?

mask.png

7 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

The ear vents are 2 D shaped holes with the flat edges facing each other in the middle and the rounded part of the "D" facing away from each other.  Defender.

edit - As I was.  After zooming in I do see that they're not in fact D shaped.  If you look at the bottom of the "B" in Tampa Bay you can see there is more to the vent hole.  It has a rounded off triangular shape to them.

edit 2 - Actually looking at the bottom ear vent it doesn't even look like the same shape of the top vent.  Is anyone else seeing this too or am I blind?

mask.png

I agree, though Chad Warwick didn't always have the Double D on his masks, so in principle it could be his, but to me it doesn't look like any Warwick/Defender. Weird vent hole shape...

Murray's mask seems crazy to me. It's a Pro's Choice and confirmed to be completely custom. One of Dom's guys told me any changes like that are done by the goalie or EQM. It's crazy you'd take the best, or one of them, custom fits in the game and mess it up. 

I feel like the no lost gear whistle should be called the Murray mask rule, like the Tom Brady tuck rule in football 

here's another one that confuses me. I've seen some stock photos of 961s strapped like this too. 

Why would you wear the lower side straps around the back? 

9 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Murray's mask seems crazy to me. It's a Pro's Choice and confirmed to be completely custom. One of Dom's guys told me any changes like that are done by the goalie or EQM. It's crazy you'd take the best, or one of them, custom fits in the game and mess it up. 

I feel like the no lost gear whistle should be called the Murray mask rule, like the Tom Brady tuck rule in football 

here's another one that confuses me. I've seen some stock photos of 961s strapped like this too. 

Why would you wear the lower side straps around the back? 

Got one worse that I just found the other day. Jon Gillies must be drinking some spike Gatorade to want this strapping. He has Dom add the extra buckle that the 960's had for the chin strap and snaps his backplate straps to it like some 960 wearers used to do (Hellebuyck). To clarify my photos, its the green he snaps onto when it should be the red like normal goalies. What a weirdo, and this is coming from a goalie:

img.jpg.328de815889998b9e87043b0fc8432af.jpg

bfENe6p.thumb.jpg.218383255e280b07eadc48a1101a77d8.jpg

cut.jpg.86428e7625127ce125256a4db68cdcb9.jpg