High ankle sprain/injury adaptation

RichMan

So I injured my ankle pretty badly at work in June. The verdict so far points towards a high ankle sprain. Had an MRI today and should know for sure where it stands in a couple days.

I'm hoping not to hear the word "surgery" mentioned. I was recommended to wear an ASO type stabiliser to help contain my Tibia and Fibula. It's like a lace-up/velcro straps wrap for the ankle.

If any of you have gone through a same/similar situation, have you worn something in your skate when back in the game? If so, what? Or have you completely refrained from playing until 100% healed? 

Back when I had that injury, I was still a skater. A skaters boot has a bit more ankle support than a goalie skate, but I never risked it. Waited not only until the doc said I was 100% but until I felt I was. Sadly, that is a long healing process. With how bad walking hurt, couldn't imagine trying to skate on it. At the time I was in the military and soon as the doc cleared me, that gets sent up the chain and my LT decided I was healthy enough to do my physical fitness test and couldn't understand why running hurt. Think that's what made it longer before I skated again.

• Thanks 1

The waiting game is a killer. I'm not in any bad pain. I can walk, slowly. Forced by my physio to use a cane to reduce ankle weight load. I get the occasional discomfort and my ankle clicks and cracks a lot. The biggest issues are the lack of dorsiflexion range and load instability. All the ASO wrap does is make my frigging lower leg swell up from the restricted blood circulation.

I suffered a high ankle sprain years ago. Kept me out longer than shoulder surgery did, I was out around 4 months before I got back on the ice. Was in boot for a while and had to use crutches for a bit. Was in PT for the last 2 months of it. Unfortunately it's just one of those injuries that you just have to wait it out and hope for the best. I don't even wish high ankle sprains on my worst enemies.

When I came back I didn't wear any ankle brace or anything. My ankle and leg that I sprained was actually much stronger than the uninjured one due to all the PT I went though. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Did you at least get workers comp? lol

Yes I am or I wouldn't be able to pay the bill to be able to write this at the moment loll.

Good news, had my MRI and there are no visible tears of any kind. No surgery needed.  It's a very high stress/impact injury that is just taking longer for me to heal. I'm aiming for a January start at the very latest unless I get an early green light :) 

• Like 1