Aegis Neck Gaurd

TheGoalNet

I wear the player version as I do not like any additional clavicle padding. I previously just cut off the clavicle padding from CCM neck guards. I’ll continue with Aegis, super comfortable and although I have not taken a direct shot the D30 seems like it would be better than “off the rack” collars. 

Easy to clean as well,remove D30 and wash, I just wipe the padding off with damp towel.

I saw this unit up close. Personally I wasn't all that impressed with them. It's not the worst on the list of available BNQ neck guards. It's much different than what I'm used to and seems flimsy in comparison. Although I have heard of people who did get one are are happy with their purchase. So, to each their own.

15 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Anyone seen one of these up close or have experience with them? 

I think @cwarnar or @Punisher Goalie showed me their stuff a few months ago?

https://www.aegisimpact.com/technology/interceptor-g/

@TheGoalNet I was interested in the Aegis but never picked one up. I have a Maltese unit that I swap in and out but lately I’ve been going with the adjustable built-in neck/clavicle protector in the SZ3 C/A. 

I believe I paid less than $30.00 for it at Pure Hockey,it is NOT in the same league as a Maltese or Paw or any of the bespoke manufacturers. What it is for me is “ something” that gives me a level of confidence I don’t have without anything.I wear it more for skates,sticks or the occasional re-directed shot. It’s thin,comfy and easy to care for. I like it for exactly what it is,if you need or want more protection it’s probably not THE best choice.

Quality is very good for the money. And for the price if it becomes horrible or completely lacks protection then I’m out $30.

I currently use the Aegis neck guard and added a Bauer 37.5 sweat band in between the 3DO pice and my neck to make it more comfortable for me.  I took a shot in warm ups to my clavicle area and had a slight bruise.  For what it’s worth, I took a similar shot to the same clavicle area years ago with my Battram neck guard and had a worse bruise.  In the Battram neck guard, the clavicle area only has foam, while the Aegis has a thin 3DO layer.

1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Is this primarily to protect against skate cuts?  It doesn't look like it would protect against a shot to the neck.  I stress look as I have never held one in hand and it could very well be more protective than it looks to be.

I think somewhere in the middle. BNQ certification means that it is approved to protect against cuts and puts no regard into impact protection. Adding the D30 would be to aid in impact protection. D30 is an engineered material that is designed to absorb a lot of force with minimal material. It is used in Hockey by CCM, in motor cross, skiing, etc etc. I would agree that this piece does not look sufficient enough vs what could be possible with some minor design improvements. 

19 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@Aggie - so better than the Battram then?

Yeah, I prefer it over my Battram.  As mentioned by others, it’s light, comfortable, and can be washed (after removing D3O inserts).  I think it would be even better if the bib area had a larger surface area.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Undone it looks like a mini skirt.

I haven't worn a BNQ since I didn't have to any longer. I wonder how many guys are still wearing one.

I have to wear one because I’m in minor hockey, but I just use a d&r bulletproof neck/clavicle protector and haven’t switched because the neck portion is way shorter and less hot than the newer models from Bauer, Vaughn etc...I doubt that my d&r unit would stack up to newer certification tests, but it’s got the bnq logo and that’s all they care about?

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I have never felt D30 before, just know its used in a lot of CCM gear so figured with the addition of D30 the collar might amount to more than it looks. 

In it’s natural semisolid state, it is very similar in consistency to silly putty. 

I have one and have been using it all season. One the best fitting, my comfortable neck guards I have used and I have used many( Itech, Bauer, Vaughn, Brian's,Crouch,and Maltese). I wear mainly for the cut resistants, but also the padding. My Brown comes up high enough I really don't have to worry too much about clavicle protection, it's just my neck area I wanted it for. The thing is in 25 years for playing hockey( Minor,Jr A&B, SR. A and mens) I can count on both hands how many times I have been hit in the neck so those that are asking about the padding how the hell are you getting hit in the neck so much ? I don't even wear a dangler, never have. The price in Canadian funds was $75 which is a great price, for the life of me I can not understand spending $200+ CND on a Maltese, that is just crazy especially after having one before and it lasting only one season before the seems came apart, also found the heat build up within the gel terrible it didn't have any air flow. I like the feeling of having shirt style collar on with the protection it offers, it's there when I need it. This passed summer I checked out Brown's, Brian's , Vaughn, Bauer, and Crouch ( Firefighter Invented so I wanted to support the company). I was going to settle on the Bauer shirt style one and buy some padding from Shocktec and add it the shirt but I seen this and figured I would give it shot. 

17 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

I was going to settle on the Bauer shirt style one and buy some padding from Shocktec and add it the shirt but I seen this and figured I would give it shot. 

This is what I did with the Vaughn version and some 3/8" Shocktec air2gel and it worked out really well, only cost me about $40 total too. 

I have one.  I like it.  I haven't taken any shots to the neck, but I've simulated shots (that is, punching myself in the neck while wearing it) and it does absorb the force pretty well.  I also have a Maltese.  The benefit of the Aegis is the size and comfort.  It will definitely be my summer neck protection.  The maltese is beefier.  I don't know that that means it's more protective.  Thankfully, it's usually my mask they hit. ;)

Archived