Thomas Greiss Chin Cup

Max Tanzi

so i saw a post from the NY Islanders on insta of thomas greiss waiting for the game to start, and check out his chin cup. is it low or is that how youre supposed to wear the chin cup? i just use a chin sling now bc i found the chin cup to be annoying but when i wore it it didnt sit like his. mine sat directly on top of my chin, as i have a giant head so any mask i have is a little small. not sure if that effects it though. ill throw a pic right here-

IMG_1909.thumb.PNG.8f562201a5f621a33d0e4710e435d23d.PNG

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh ok I see what you mean now.  He isn't on the ice he is outside the locker room, likely between periods.  Maybe they just caught him fidgeting with it.  Some people look into things way too deeply.

Great point here. Maybe he was just messing around and fidgeting with it

@Max Tanzi have you noticed this on the ice? 

I think it's just camera angle and all.

Greiss.jpg

That said - why do normal masks have a solid wall in front of your mouth? Makes it hard to breathe.

Greiss has a pretty good chin too thus the large cup.

C5uFctCXQAAoVnr.jpg

Once I was shooting the breeze with a teammate about a pro team. He said I met x player once. I said cool was he a nice guy. “ Oh yeah yeah. But Mike you should’ve see his wife,  smoking hot”.  My first thought. No Shit,  DipShit.  

These game are “big game hunters”. Most  pro athletes are. 

23 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Oh ok I see what you mean now.  He isn't on the ice he is outside the locker room, likely between periods.  Maybe they just caught him fidgeting with it.  Some people look into things way too deeply.

this was pre-game

21 hours ago, MTH said:

I think it's just camera angle and all.

Greiss.jpg

I'm still not sold that his chin cup is on his chin. If it is... it should more directly under his nose and up against the chin drop of the mask. I get that its popping out. Dude has a prominent chin.

My biggest concern with this photo is the half inch gap between his forehead and the foam. I know there's probably a sweatband in there somewhere. But not that thick. 

Seems like the whole mask is tilted back and is resting entirely on the top of his head. 

16 minutes ago, craig said:

I'm still not sold that his chin cup is on his chin. If it is... it should more directly under his nose and up against the chin drop of the mask. I get that its popping out. Dude has a prominent chin.

My biggest concern with this photo is the half inch gap between his forehead and the foam. I know there's probably a sweatband in there somewhere. But not that thick. 

Seems like the whole mask is tilted back and is resting entirely on the top of his head. 

Maybe dude just has a super misaligned face? Or he really is stuck in the early 2010's CHL mindset of having a misfitted Bauer lid tipped up for better sight lines.

Or we're all looking at this a little too much and we should go back to talking about how to take a piss when fully dressed.

image.jpg.ef0d90a498ebee9a78bcafae2ef59629.jpg

I'm still obsessing over this. 

Look at him in this Warwick from his San Jose days. Chin cup is on his chin. No gap. No tilt. Mouth is exposed enough to not be breathing himself. 

Why does he wear his PC so weird???

columbus-ohio-usa-9th-april-2013-san-jose-sharks-goalie-thomas-greiss-d615kc.jpg

On 4/5/2018 at 10:58 AM, craig said:

Look at him in this Warwick from his San Jose days. Chin cup is on his chin. No gap. No tilt. Mouth is exposed enough to not be breathing himself. 

columbus-ohio-usa-9th-april-2013-san-jose-sharks-goalie-thomas-greiss-d615kc.jpg

On 4/5/2018 at 10:00 AM, craig said:

he uses a vaughn helmet in NY, so maybe its the way that vaughn constructs their masks

3 hours ago, craig said:

Why do you think he is wearing his PC "so weird"? It looks to me like he is wearing both his masks the same.  The PC/Vaughn is a completely different shell size and shape. Has a significantly smaller face opening resulting in a shorter chin length, exposing his chin cup from the low angle of the photo. I bet if you measure his PC from the bottom of the opening to the bottom of the chin, it will match his Warwick. 

If it works for him, whatever, to each his own.

40 minutes ago, old but slow said:

Why do you think he is wearing his PC "so weird"? It looks to me like he is wearing both his masks the same.  The PC/Vaughn is a completely different shell size and shape. Has a significantly smaller face opening resulting in a shorter chin length, exposing his chin cup from the low angle of the photo. I bet if you measure his PC from the bottom of the opening to the bottom of the chin, it will match his Warwick. 

exactly. everyone has their own preference

7 hours ago, old but slow said:

6 hours ago, Max Tanzi said:

exactly. everyone has their own preference

Did not mean to come across as hating on Greiss or Pros Choice. Quite the contrary. I have mad respect for Dom and think he makes one of the best products in the business. I am a mediocre (at best) beer league goalie who happens to make masks as a hobby whenever I get time.Which s very rarely. I have no place telling Greiss how to wear his mask.

But it does bother me when I see a custom made mask not being worn properly (not anchored at the most important spot (giant gap at the forehead), and with the chin cup tucked under the chin and I'm assuming his chin pressed directly up against the inside of the shell). It is an issue of safety, not style. I bet it would bug the hell out of Dom too if you showed him that picture. 

I was merely making the observation that something is causing him to wear a custom made mask more "incorrectly" than an off-the-shelf, custom padded mask. I thought that was a valid observation. Maybe I'm just nit picking. 

Archived