Bruises Through Pants

MTH

Took two decent clappers off my thighs last night. Now I have two softball sized bruises already. Killing me. My one leg went kinda numb last night after the first one. Cost me a goal later as my skate wouldn't come off the ice and I didn't kick my leg out on a low shot.

I'm wearing classic Canadian made CCM Gatekeepers. Think they were pro stock CCM 620s with the two piece system - well, thats what the tag says. They had the added knee pads that went inside.

44165_55710.jpg

*Not my pants. But the exact ones I wear (without the suspenders though). Mine look about the same.

Shots went through both legs' external padding at the top of the thigh. Seems that's a tough place to protect with flexibility needs. The impacts were basically on either side of my cup. About 11 and 1 o clock of crotch.

Is this normal? I'm 41 and have been playing forever. I never received two welts through my pants like this on the same night. Sucks.

I don't want any hipster new tight pants. I'm a big dude with short arms. But time for new ones? Or should I look to add/ fix the external hip pads?

1 minute ago, MTH said:

I don't want any hipster new tight pants. I'm a big dude with short arms. But time for new ones? Or should I look to add/ fix the external hip pads?

I got a set of the pro return CCMs.  The "hipster new tight pants" to use your language.  ;)  I actually prefer them to my Brown overpadded built like a tank pants.  They are crazy mobile but incredibly well padded.  I think they went high tech with the padding because if goalies got injured with the new spec pants, there would be a backlash over any new spec equipment.   I also have short arms, although I'm not sure the relevance there.  

6 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

If you can find the Pro Return 13A pants... I'd recommend them too. Grater mobility and protection... at a price that was less than "pro" level retail.

Any of the modern CCM pro returns are fantastic as well. Mine aren't the 13A but very similar and they are awesome. 

7 minutes ago, MTH said:

Took two decent clappers off my thighs last night. Now I have two softball sized bruises already. Killing me. My one leg went kinda numb last night after the first one. Cost me a goal later as my skate wouldn't come off the ice and I didn't kick my leg out on a low shot.

I'm wearing classic Canadian made CCM Gatekeepers. Think they were pro stock CCM 620s with the two piece system - well, thats what the tag says. They had the added knee pads that went inside.

44165_55710.jpg

*Not my pants. But the exact ones I wear (without the suspenders though). Mine look about the same.

Shots went through both legs' external padding at the top of the thigh. Seems that's a tough place to protect with flexibility needs. The impacts were basically on either side of my cup. About 11 and 1 o clock of crotch.

Is this normal? I'm 41 and have been playing forever. I never received two welts through my pants like this on the same night. Sucks.

This is interesting to me. I have never gotten a bruise in my pants in my life. Are the pants just to close to your body? Any chance you could size up?

12 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Second the old pant notion. 

Foams compress and over time from sweat and pucks. 

I had an old pair of pro return V4s that were well used when they got to me and started catching bruises late last year until I switched to the new CCM 13A. 

I second this. 620s are from like what 2007-2009... likely just worn down. 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is interesting to me. I have never gotten a bruise in my pants in my life. Are the pants just to close to your body? Any chance you could size up?

I have large legs. Some may say tree like.

Mind you I play over 40 hockey. Never had this happen before.

The higher one on my left leg has a hard bump under the bruise. That one made my leg go numb after I was hit. 

The external hip pads I think are my issue. They're loose and can flap up on me. The bruises are about where they are supposed to be.

57 minutes ago, MTH said:

I actually bailed out of playing this week to let my legs heal. You know how it is - EVERY shot will hit my bruises next time on the ice.

I don't know if it's style of play, or what have you...but I don't notice getting hit on the pants very often, strange.

Archived