Warrior R\G7 line

Nohtaram

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

Calf strapping is all new on the G7.

G6 iteration was not good. It had a hard, plastic like, outer calf wrap that was situated on the far outside of the pad. The changes on the G7 were very welcome. 

Calf pillow is bigger than the Hyperlite 1 too. Good thing it's removable. 

Nice set. 

The G6 - and maybe the G5? had a slit in the calf so you could put the wrap through that to make it slightly tighter. My last experience was GT2, which, IIRC, did not have that option.

I noticed the pillow was removable, too! It leaves a big strip of velcro to rub on your leg/hockey sock though.

38 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:

The G6 - and maybe the G5? had a slit in the calf so you could put the wrap through that to make it slightly tighter. My last experience was GT2, which, IIRC, did not have that option.

I noticed the pillow was removable, too! It leaves a big strip of velcro to rub on your leg/hockey sock though.

My guess is that the soft part of the velcro would be on the pad so it wouldn't catch anything when the calf pillow is removed.

I really want to like Warrior equipment and the G7 seems to be a big step in the right direction for me. There is some great innovations with the equipment and how it’s designed to stop more pucks. Then there are some things that just turn me off. For me personally it’s almost to customizable? Custom options are fantastic for custom, but on a stock set it might try to hard be everything for everyone. For me they should focus on making it their way, for better or worse like other companies do where its a motto of “this is our design take it or leave it.” Maybe add a second line that uses their best ideas but is closer to market trends and then a full on Pete Smith line where he can just run in whatever crazy idea he likes. I think Pete was doing better leg channels on the 6000’s 15 years ago which line up with todays market place. 

A lot of steps in the right direction for Warrior, I hope they continue to push forward. 

Last gripe, they need a full overhaul on their pants. Optics aren’t every thing but man, I find they don’t present well in terms of coverage, like the barrel cut pants do. They’re so hip dominated and chunky, looking like my old Koho 590 or Sherwood 9980 pants.

5 hours ago, RedX said:

I really want to like Warrior equipment and the G7 seems to be a big step in the right direction for me. There is some great innovations with the equipment and how it’s designed to stop more pucks. Then there are some things that just turn me off. For me personally it’s almost to customizable? Custom options are fantastic for custom, but on a stock set it might try to hard be everything for everyone. For me they should focus on making it their way, for better or worse like other companies do where its a motto of “this is our design take it or leave it.” Maybe add a second line that uses their best ideas but is closer to market trends and then a full on Pete Smith line where he can just run in whatever crazy idea he likes. I think Pete was doing better leg channels on the 6000’s 15 years ago which line up with todays market place. 

A lot of steps in the right direction for Warrior, I hope they continue to push forward. 

Last gripe, they need a full overhaul on their pants. Optics aren’t every thing but man, I find they don’t present well in terms of coverage, like the barrel cut pants do. They’re so hip dominated and chunky, looking like my old Koho 590 or Sherwood 9980 pants.

Some good points. I kinda like messing with all their options but at the same time a streamlined pad would be cool too.

Just curious, what pants do you like that present bigger?

6 hours ago, IpaddyTECH said:

Some good points. I kinda like messing with all their options but at the same time a streamlined pad would be cool too.

Just curious, what pants do you like that present bigger?

Right now for pants probably the Vaughn SLR pants 3/4. These have quietly moved into the most used pant in the NHL. I think they present well from a straight on position while looking at a goalie in their stance or butterfly. Seem to have decent seal in 5 hole, in RVH leans, etc. 

I coach a lot of kids. I might see 100 goalies in a year. The few times I seen Warrior pants used they present like an upside down triangle if you know what I mean. Very wide on the hips and they (visually) look to taper as they get closer to the pads. Again this my objective take on it. You may love them and how they look. But it seems like even the Warrior Pro guys like Smith and Gorsuch aren’t using them. 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure Vaughn just has a pure stranglehold on the pants department anyways. 

They do, but there were always variations in makes and models based on the Velo line. With Pants Pro’s tend not to change too often throughout their career, there were always tons of outdated and older models guys seem to have updated as well as a ton of guys who were in CCM which used to have a huge stronghold in the pants department. 

With minor hockey it’s a different story, I see a lot of CCM. 

17 hours ago, RedX said:

I really want to like Warrior equipment and the G7 seems to be a big step in the right direction for me. There is some great innovations with the equipment and how it’s designed to stop more pucks. Then there are some things that just turn me off. For me personally it’s almost to customizable? Custom options are fantastic for custom, but on a stock set it might try to hard be everything for everyone. For me they should focus on making it their way, for better or worse like other companies do where its a motto of “this is our design take it or leave it.”

I am curious to hear more on how their pads are too customizable,

Just for fun I compared the total amount of customization options between the G7 and the Bauer Pro Custom:

Warrior
Graphic (2 options)
Size
Thighrise (6 options) 
Outer/no break
Thighrise stiffness (2 options)
Knee stiffness (3 options)
Boot stiffness (2 options) 
Outer leg channel size (2 options) 
Heel strap

Two blockers
4 palm options

Two gloves
4 liners (3 if 7.1) 
Stock/practice palm
Tee (2 options)
Wrist strap yes/no

Total options: 39

Bauer Pro custom
Graphic (2 options)
Pad COnstruction (2) options
Glove (4 options)
Blocker (3 options)

Pad size (based off shadow construction) 
Thighrise stiffness (5 options)
Boot Flex (3 options) + 1 more for selecting Hyperlite 2 constructions
knee block (2 options)
Knee wing (3 options) +1 more for Hyperlite 2
Calf bracket (2 options) +1 more for hyperlite 2
Boot Strapping (4 options)
Toe Bridge (2 options)
Toe attachment (2 options)
Toe alignment (2 options)
Leg strapping (2 options)
Other strapping (2 options)
Tune fit strapping (2 options) 
Knee grip (2 options) 

Glove palms (3 options)
Tees (2 options) + reinforced
Palm material (3 options)
Pocket lacing (3 options)
T spine lacing (3 options)
Int/sr internal fit
DCT padding (3 options)
wrist strap (3 options) only for shadow

Blocker palm size (3 options)
Thumb pillow (2 options)
back hand foam (2 options) only for Shadow

Total: 77

I'm curious what other brands are able to offer, but just this comparison puts Bauer's customization options as double what Warrior is able to offer. 

I'd argue that Warrior has stuck with their own "“this is our design take it or leave it.” People are either all in on Warrior or think they're the worst pads ever, and that's only achievable by being unique in their design. 

• Like 2

Bauer Shadow

Size
Thigh flex (3 options)
Boot flex (2 options)
knee block (2 options)
knee wing (2 options)
Boot strapping (4 options)
Toe attachment (2 options)
Leg strapping (2 options)

Glove palm (2 options)
Tee (2 options) 
pocket lacing (3 options)
T spine lacing (3 options)
internal fit (2 options)

Blocker palm (3 option )

Here's a standard Bauer Shadow options: 33 

So just shy of Warriors offerings. 

• Like 1

The fact that Warrior now carries only 1 model but that model can be ordered to personal preferences and specs, so the soft crew and the stiff crew, that alone is impressive. If anyone else might end up using the same approach, it would be most likely Brian's IMO.

26 minutes ago, RichMan said:

The fact that Warrior now carries only 1 model but that model can be ordered to personal preferences and specs, so the soft crew and the stiff crew, that alone is impressive. If anyone else might end up using the same approach, it would be most likely Brian's IMO.

Considering how modular Bauer is and how the strapping set up is essentially the same between the two lines, you can argue they're already only supplying one line lol 

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I am curious to hear more on how their pads are too customizable,

I didn’t specifically mention the pads. And I said Custom options are great when you order custom. I*** personally am not a fan of the removable palms etc that Warrior does. And that’s what I meant by trying to be everything to everyone. With the 6.1 and now 7.1 they don’t require that which again “to me” is a step in the direction I like. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RedX said:

I didn’t specifically mention the pads. And I said Custom options are great when you order custom. I*** personally am not a fan of the removable palms etc that Warrior does. And that’s what I meant by trying to be everything to everyone. With the 6.1 and now 7.1 they don’t require that which again “to me” is a step in the direction I like. 

Personally it's not just customization for the palms. 

It's the fact that after 3-4 seasons I managed to refresh my gloves completely by just buying new liners, extended the life of my purchase. 

That after every few months I can wash it so my hands don't reek of death after games. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, RedX said:

Right now for pants probably the Vaughn SLR pants 3/4. These have quietly moved into the most used pant in the NHL. I think they present well from a straight on position while looking at a goalie in their stance or butterfly. Seem to have decent seal in 5 hole, in RVH leans, etc. 

I coach a lot of kids. I might see 100 goalies in a year. The few times I seen Warrior pants used they present like an upside down triangle if you know what I mean. Very wide on the hips and they (visually) look to taper as they get closer to the pads. Again this my objective take on it. You may love them and how they look. But it seems like even the Warrior Pro guys like Smith and Gorsuch aren’t using them. 

I've used  x2 pro+ and now x3pro+ pants, I find the thighs to be the beefiest and widest i've ever tried on. Way bulkier than my previous 1s pro or CCM axis. I had to change my pad strapping to fit the larger thighs.

On 4/25/2024 at 5:40 AM, RedX said:

Good info. They do look great. I'm very curious about those purrty looking Brian's optik pants but doubt I'll ever be able to justify $500 for pants in this lifetime. Maybe I'll start a go fund me haha

5 hours ago, G_B said:

I've used  x2 pro+ and now x3pro+ pants, I find the thighs to be the beefiest and widest i've ever tried on. Way bulkier than my previous 1s pro or CCM axis. I had to change my pad strapping to fit the larger thighs.

I have the older swagger pants and I really have no complaints. They seem to present well and I've never been hurt. If anything I'm interested in a slightly smaller/more flexible pant but mine have been a workhorse for years now, probably a solid 6+ years of use and only now looking a little ragged. 

14 hours ago, RedX said:

I wish the 7.0 glove would have a permanent liner as a custom option. I've heard some say yes, some no. It's very confusing. I'm a fan of the rounded shape and the close hand/glove connection I'm used to with my GT2.

7 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I wish the 7.0 glove would have a permanent liner as a custom option. I've heard some say yes, some no. It's very confusing. I'm a fan of the rounded shape and the close hand/glove connection I'm used to with my GT2.

Using a GT, GT2, and G5. I barely notice a difference. 

It's more noticeable in the catchers. 

22 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I'm the opposite. I wanted a removable palm in my G7.1 to allow for easier cleaning but it wasn't possible so I got two gloves. 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm the opposite. I wanted a removable palm in my G7.1 to allow for easier cleaning but it wasn't possible so I got two gloves. 

Thought you were getting a 7.0 this time around? 

Nevermind, you're talking catchers, not blockers. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thought you were getting a 7.0 this time around? 

Nevermind, you're talking catchers, not blockers. 

We were. I should of included my Crocs in the post to capture your focus ;) 

4 minutes ago, RichMan said:

We were. I should of included my Crocs in the post to capture your focus ;) 

Pretty sure it's @A.YOUNGoalie13 who's into feet. 

Also, I can't believe that The Hockey Shop used this picture to advertise their 7.0 glove. 

Capture.JPG.0112d1afa2a7fec7f7e4fb3e0f65a10e.JPG

I tried that glove they got and it was absolutely mangled internally. Their 7.1 demo one was fine though. 

• Haha 1

@coopaloop1234 see, that is the issue that I don't want to deal with, unvelcro, velcro, unvelcro, velcro, unvelcro...non-stop until you get it right and unlike a traditional glove, can it really be right? I'm not talking from experience here having not tried on a G5/G6. This is something I have a hard time with in regards to modern chest protectors, too much velcro everywhere, hence why I'm a fan of the Bauer Pro Series or the CCM P1/AB Pro/AB18 or Mckenney, just a couple straps at the shoulders/back.

I know I'll just have to give the glove a try somewhere, sometime before I can give my final impression. If anything, the removable palm would feel like a pro palm in a game ready glove, yes?

18 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure it's @A.YOUNGoalie13 who's into feet. 

Also, I can't believe that The Hockey Shop used this picture to advertise their 7.0 glove. 

Capture.JPG.0112d1afa2a7fec7f7e4fb3e0f65a10e.JPG

I tried that glove they got and it was absolutely mangled internally. Their 7.1 demo one was fine though. 

Both the 7.0 and 7.1 final products I tried were perfect (although slightly stiffer and thicker feeling than G6) and did not have that issue. Awful of them to have that as their closure photo