Uber for Goalies

TheGoalNet

There's a site called pickuphub.net that does more than just hockey, and is pretty local to my area in Southern Ontario, but it's also pretty useful for getting some extra icetimes.  Sign up, then see available games and reserve your spot.  Games only get played if enough players sign up, and you only get charged if the game is played.  Would be nice if they waived the fee for goalies, but it's a fairly young service. 

I would love to sign up as a rent-a-goalie.  Does anyone else remember that show on Showcase in Canada?  So good. (I don't know if it holds up, but I enjoyed it at the time :P)

https://hockey-community.com/

- Free
- Some local leagues use it to schedule/stat track
- Easy to use
- Can find either goalies/Players by skill level
- Direct notifications via mobile app

When I started playing goal, this site was a god send for me finding ice times. I'm currently abusing the crap out of it in the summer too.

Being able to go from 1 ice time a week to 3-4 for just drop ins and fill ins via this app definitely makes it worth it.

7 minutes ago, Kayen said:

Local goalies are looked down upon by the other goalies by asking to getting paid to play, and using this app. 

I definitely understand that mindset. There's enough goalies here that finding one is rarely an issue. Plus we already play for free, no need to push our luck and ask to be paid.

The only time I've been paid to play is the payment is an incentive to not get undressed and instead play another game. But that's strictly out of last minute desperation. Anyone who's able to plan a day in advance ever really has any issues finding a guy to play for free.

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I definitely understand that mindset. There's enough goalies here that finding one is rarely an issue. Plus we already play for free, no need to push our luck and ask to be paid.

The only time I've been paid to play is the payment is an incentive to not get undressed and instead play another game. But that's strictly out of last minute desperation. Anyone who's able to plan a day in advance ever really has any issues finding a guy to play for free.

I play for free and love the guys.  I would also not take a penny ONLY in those desperate moments you mentioned, team needs a guy right after your game...some money helps in those moments.

But some guys do this as a living, every day just play to make a few bucks.  I don't see the enjoyment, or enjoying the game as a whole.  I get more pleasure playing with a team, or a group of guys for free, for the love of the game!

I exchanged some messages with the people who created the app. 

They are currently on in Canada and plan to expand to the USA. They charge $40 CAD for the "Rent-A-Goalie" and the goalie gets 80% of the funds. If I can get in 4-5 games a day, I will retire from my day job!!! 

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

$40 seems pretty pricey.

But I guess an absolute guarantee that the goalie is going to show up is worth it? /shrug

I think a lot of teams would just be happy putting an unlucky skater between the pipes in some rental gear than pay.

Yeah, unless they can rate goalies and you know you are getting an absolute ringer 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Same here. There's enough goalies here that I almost feel that there's a surplus of them. I definitely 110% agree about pushing our luck. 

31 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yeah, unless they can rate goalies and you know you are getting an absolute ringer 

Been doing some research on this a bit.

There is four levels a goalie can rate themselves/say they're available to play for:

Untitled.thumb.png.4da815f589c194ee7b9dcbc6946c5b0e.png

As well as after each game the person who "hired" you is able to leave a rating out of 5. If they leave a one star rating they're automatically refunded the full amount. So I'm assuming that you're able to see the amount of games and average rating of each goalie as they're hired?

Doesn't offer too much chance though, as soon as ANY goalie in that respective skill level accepts, they're hired. So as a renter, you're kind of stuck with gambling that the skill level the goalie put themselves in matches what you're looking for.

Definitely some gaps that could be improved.

14 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Been doing some research on this a bit.

There is four levels a goalie can rate themselves/say they're available to play for:

Untitled.thumb.png.4da815f589c194ee7b9dcbc6946c5b0e.png

As well as after each game the person who "hired" you is able to leave a rating out of 5. If they leave a one star rating they're automatically refunded the full amount. So I'm assuming that you're able to see the amount of games and average rating of each goalie as they're hired?

Doesn't offer too much chance though, as soon as ANY goalie in that respective skill level accepts, they're hired. So as a renter, you're kind of stuck with gambling that the skill level the goalie put themselves in matches what you're looking for.

Definitely some gaps that could be improved.

I would be paying $40 a game to play LOL

For me in Montreal, it's not hard to find goalies. So these kind of services are usually a fall back when someone cancels last minute, or there is a game at an unfavorable hour. 

It's always a nice thought that, to keep playing goal as always but get paid while doing it, but the reality (at least here) is you're not going into games in the best of circumstances. 

So, I've signed up and am currently about halfway (?) through the approval process. Check out the approval requirements video and email I received:

https://share.vidyard.com/watch/DbbjRBGzU8SY9qa1xLCg1h

Untitled.thumb.png.432119990b422b7f6506ce407b45b56c.png

Real tough approval process so far.

Especially the "I will not give out my real phone umber during Puckapp games". I get why they do it as they're trying to protect their commodity, but I have real hard time seeing how they're going to enforce it.

1. Worse they're going to be able to do is remove you from using their services (OH NO!!)
2. They need someone to rat you out to them in the first place, which is highly unlikely

I'm singing up as I have a lot of spare time this summer and am looking to supplement it by playing more hockey and I kind of want to be the Guinea pig for this for this site.

I signed up as well just to see if it's a way to get more time. 

I am getting a lot of activity in my area just based on Kijiji alone for free play (4-5 games for next week). I'd rather not charge for my services though, plus, I'm still developing into even a hollow shell of my former self so I don't think people should pay for me. Although a pylon of similar size would cost 100 dollars and be good for multiple uses, I do have a terrific personality that only the best pylons can match.

So, since being finalized as a user as of Friday morning, there has been exactly zero requests through this app here in Vancouver.

While the Hockey Community app has seen about 10 or so come through.

I really have a good feeling that I won't see much come through from this app at all.

I'm about as consistent as lumpy oatmeal, so no way the team would be guaranteed to get their $40 worth.

Here in Victoria there seems to be a shortage of goalies, which surprised me when I started playing again just over a year ago.  I get called for at least 3 ice sessions 7 days a week.  Sometimes both teams in the same game call me!  I could make a killing by taking payment for playing every time I was asked, even after refunds for shitty performances.

• 1 month later...

So, two months later, I've seen 5 requests in my area come through. Every single one was grabbed before I could open the app and check out the details.

Definitely not the greatest app out there. Especially in highly populated hockey areas like Vancouver where using a free service like hockey community has already had a stranglehold for years.

Too bad, I was kind of looking forward to be able to be called a professional goalie. :P

• 1 month later...

Archived