2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

No kidding!

That is over the top ridiculous!!!!

I can totally see Vaughn eventually fading away and becoming a smaller, direct company like Brown. Something has to change and fast. It's the Titanic with a needle-size hole in it.

Between Mikey Vaughn saying Price’s ability and skills declined when he went to CCM, publicly whining about another company’s shoulder floaters attached to a Vaughn CA and 18 week leadtimes for essentially a stock pair of gloves, Vaughn’s public image is eroding. I will NOT buy ANYTHING with a Vaughn tag on it now.

Your assessment is spot-on.

The problem with that theory is outside of the few handfuls of us here and maybe 7 people not on here, nobody knows these things.

I went to a local rink to get my skates sharpened and saw 6 15 year old goalies, 5 of them had shiny new VE8 sets. the 6th had CCM and these were all WHL prospects. 

The majority of goalies out there don't know the things we're discussing and/or don't care.

If you dislike Vaughn already and these things help further reinforce that , that's fine.

If this is all new to you on this forum and you've since disliked Vaughn. , also fine.

However,  I don't think the reach of this information is as far as is being suggested here.

Look around at visible goalies playing "real" hockey in visible leagues and even in beer leagues and look at the gear:

CCM and Vaughn are still winning and doing fine, by far.

The new , exciting,  more technologically advanced gear made by Warrior and Brian's, while sexy and nicer, is not winning, by far.

I just don't think the visible evidence supports the outrage and theories being suggested here. 

Regardless of whether Mike Vaughn is correct or incorrect, I'm not sure why he'd comment on this. Let the league make their own rulings on what is legal and illegal. Maybe I'm missing something about the context, but Vaughn's comments seems kind of pedantic, even petty. I know it's been well covered here, but he seems like one of those business owners who shouldn't really be putting himself out there as a spokesman for the brand. The image he projects doesn't seem to be particularly likable. 

8 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Regardless of whether Mike Vaughn is correct or incorrect, I'm not sure why he'd comment on this. Let the league make their own rulings on what is legal and illegal. Maybe I'm missing something about the context, but Vaughn's comments seems kind of pedantic, even petty. I know it's been well covered here, but he seems like one of those business owners who shouldn't really be putting himself out there as a spokesman for the brand. The image he projects doesn't seem to be particularly likable. 

Truth.

Every employee there should insist  on muzzling him. When his mouth opens it is just brutal, immature,  unrealistic, and desperate.

He's horrible for their P.R.

From what I understand, NOBODY muzzles Mikey Vaughn. 

Sure, people are still buying Vaughn gear now, but if ol’ Mikey keeps opening his yap and the “innovation” stays as status quo, @ULTIMA‘s assertion will most certainly hold true. The words that Mikey has been blabbing are words from a very desperate person.

Frankly, I hope he gets his shit together; people who were Vaughn loyalists are saying “my next set will be (blank) instead of Vaughn”, and that is a bad sign. Vaughn sells breezers that rival Brown, not to mention murder everyone else’s efforts! But Mikey’s public rants are driving my decision to go with Brown the next time. 

@seagoal- for the record, I am neither a Warrior or Brian’s fan boy. I prefer much smaller brands like PAW, Factory Mad, amongst others. For me Brian’s is very expensive and Warrior is not North American made. 

11 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

From what I understand, NOBODY muzzles Mikey Vaughn. 

Sure, people are still buying Vaughn gear now, but if ol’ Mikey keeps opening his yap and the “innovation” stays as status quo, @ULTIMA‘s assertion will most certainly hold true. The words that Mikey has been blabbing are words from a very desperate person.

Frankly, I hope he gets his shit together; people who were Vaughn loyalists are saying “my next set will be (blank) instead of Vaughn”, and that is a bad sign. Vaughn sells breezers that rival Brown, not to mention murder everyone else’s efforts! But Mikey’s public rants are driving my decision to go with Brown the next time. 

@seagoal- for the record, I am neither a Warrior or Brian’s fan boy. I prefer much smaller brands like PAW, Factory Mad, amongst others. For me Brian’s is very expensive and Warrior is not North American made. 

Noted.

I never took you to be a fanboy of them, I was just using them as examples of companies that are innovative, sexier than thou, and in the NHL/CHL/NCAA, etc.

I honestly didn't know what gear you use.  I only know that you passionately dislike Vaughn.

:)

Ha ha. I use so many pieces including reworked T5500 gloves! What brand have I NOT used is the question!

They are all “sexier than thou”. Did you not know that?!? (tongue in cheek)

I have only recently hated Vaughn. The interview where Mikey said Price’s abilities diminished when switching from Vaughn was amusing. A pair of gloves taking a LOT of time with nothing special made me mad for doobiesnax, but the petty nature of them whining about someone else’s floater on their chesty made me irritated as hell! 

Am I going to march over this? No. In the end, my perception of Vaughn only affects me by possibly having one less choice in the market. That’s on me, in the end.

Will Vaughn really fade away and die? It is too soon to tell.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

Ah, yes.  5500 gloves.  Those things are amazing.

My current knee pads and stick are Warrior, mask and skates are Bauer, and everything else is Vaughn. 

I've never used any other brands

Once I got the hang of a 5500, it made me love a Factory Mad glove even more!

My knee guards are Factory Mad. I literally have so many setsof gloves and pads it isn’t funny! 

My favourite set is Brian’s ZeroG Lady pads (got them brand new CHEAP!) and Factory Mad gloves. But I have pads from PAW, TPS, Vaughn, Bauer, and Vortek! Gloves from Warrior (Canadian made), Vaughn, Factory, Bauer and TPS. I am still rocking a Vaughn LT88 jock with Kustom Composites cup. Protechsport mask. Vaughn cowlings on True skates! You could say I mix obscure with well known!

Vaughn’s recent actions have made me bristle, but you can’t argue their build quality, even on Senior items. 

1 hour ago, bunnyman666 said:

Once I got the hang of a 5500, it made me love a Factory Mad glove even more!

My knee guards are Factory Mad. I literally have so many sets it isn’t funny

My favourite set is Brian’s ZeroG Lady pads (got them brand new CHEAP!) and Factory Mad gloves. But I have pads from PAW, TPS, Vaughn, Bauer, and Vortek! Gloves from Warrior (Canadian made), Vaughn, Factory, Bauer and TPS. I am still rocking a Vaughn LT88 jock with Kustom Composites cup. Protechsport mask. Vaughn cowlings on True skates! You could say I mix obscure with well known!

Vaughn’s recent actions have made me bristle, but you can’t argue their build quality, even on Senior items. 

Are you talking knee pad sets or refering to your paragraph below?

8 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Between Mikey Vaughn saying Price’s ability and skills declined when he went to CCM, publicly whining about another company’s shoulder floaters attached to a Vaughn CA and 18 week leadtimes for essentially a stock pair of gloves, Vaughn’s public image is eroding. I will NOT buy ANYTHING with a Vaughn tag on it now.

Your assessment is spot-on.

Then I have someone who would probably be interested in that set of Vaughn pads I sold you.

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Great film that was robbed of its deserving Oscar. But then again, Oscars are for really stupid movies that the people making them are convincing you how good they are when the movie is CRAP. 

and Blade Runner 2049 got snubbed of Best Picture.

Anyways, here's one of the major reasons the Devils had to go to OT against SC Bern, and one of my favorite non-NHL goalies ever:

goalie-leonardo-genoni-of-sc-bern-looks-

goalie-leonardo-genoni-of-sc-bern-looks-

In all seriousness, SC Bern did not look out of place against one of the up-and-coming NHL teams. Their offense looked  impressive. Defensive end is where they had trouble competing against the bulky meathead builds of the NHL. European hockey is so much fun to watch, so I'm glad it was an OT game to dispel that stigma that it's not close to NHL standards. 

3 minutes ago, Chester said:

Wow. Put him in a NHL legal chest. Hellooooooooo upstairs!!

True, but that could be said about a lot of NHL goalies, too. It's probably the normal specs we use. Looks like a CCM. 

This looks much more correctly proportioned.

leonardo-genoni-during-a-national-league

Or this:

goalie-leonardo-genoni-looks-on-during-t

Archived