2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that.

The work is only part of the problem though; there's also the "emjoi/hieroglyphics" style of writing about these masks that makes it seem like his account is managed by a teen aged Taylor Swift fan or something (again, props to @stackem30 for his divine parody of the style in @bunnyman666's logo thread.)

It just seems very high school: "I want to be unique because I'm an important individual, so I'm going to cherry pick a subset of mass production trend compliant goods that i am told reflect my individuality, and wear it in the exact same way as all my friends."

You honestly could not be more right about that, me being apart of this generation myself.

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I have this small feeling that there are a few guys here who do enjoy Dave's work but just remain silent as not to stir the boat with the vocal majority. ?

I don't hate his work.  It's gotten to the point of so much "innovation" that it is repetitive, so I'm not really interested in new masks he does, just whether I like it for that goalie or not.  Which is where I have an issue with Andersen's mask, the use of space is a little off.  The forehead just looks like wasted/negative space when you see it from the front.  Not that it should be filled with some brush strokes, hex graphic, lens flare, portraits.  Just seems like the overall balance of graphics is off.

42 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

The work is only part of the problem though; there's also the "emjoi/hieroglyphics" style of writing about these masks that makes it seem like his account is managed by a teen aged Taylor Swift fan or something (again, props to @stackem30 for his divine parody of the style in @bunnyman666's logo thread.)

See now I would argue that those emoji's look like someone's "cool" uncle got a hold of an Instagram account, and therefore it may very well be DaveArt running the show there :) 

8 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

DaveArt paint designs  are all the same. He may have been talented at one time, but it all looks like same composition, different colourway. Does he do his designs blindfolded or does he really have cataracts or glaucoma? Of course weed treats glaucoma, and maybe he self medicates  before, during, and after painting. Of course it could be that he sniffs all that paint. Paint sniffing really messes with your head. 

Jack Krap is better. Let’s hope Jack Krap gets out of jail soon!!!!

How's Jack doing?

7 minutes ago, MTH said:

How's Jack doing?

Haven’t heard from him. I thought I would have heard that he wanted to do a PR enhancing interview by now. 

Monte Key still has Shithead (pronounced “Shi-thee-ad”) and uses him to help solve crimes. Mon now owns Acme soft toy company in order to finance his dog humping soft toys. Mon’s Rocky and Bullwinkle soft toy collection is now safe.

Don Key retired last year and now lives in the Cayman Islands.

Thanks for the kind words, Lucky. I've never liked those descriptions because I'm not a fan of artists trying to pump their own work and influence how it's perceived. In a perfect world, an artist would create their art, put it out there into the world, and let people make up their own minds about how original or creative it is. I feel like when people repeat things often enough (see Kanye West, "I'm a genius!"), people start to repeat it, and they don't form their own opinions. I feel the same way about DaveArt posting about how unique/creative his work is. Just release the design, and let people make up their own minds. Can you imagine the artist who painted Beezer's panther mask writing a paragraph about why it's so cool and original? No way, you just look at it, and you know it's great work. Let the work stand on its own — good art does that.

Having said that...

I'm about to begin a hiatus on commenting on DaveArt's work. Aside from the fact that my observations are very repetitive at this point, I just don't really want to be the person who just bashes every new piece of work from someone who's doing what they like and creating something. While I stand by my opinions about his work, I still think that what he's doing is cool in the grand scheme of things.

3 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

And ugly too, like his style of play 

Yeah he plays so...strange. His saves always come off as accidental due to his weird posture. He always resorts to sprawling or splitting on second chances. I see why he constantly has little injuries. He looks so brittle in his motions.

A lot NHL guys have such bizarre styles it makes you wonder how much is actual technique and how much is simply "being a pro" mentally and physically. The later is much, much harder to achieve than something that takes muscle memory and repetition.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Because Quick is orthodox and super technical. Right?

Haha funny. One great fundamental part of his game is in the rvh, he makes up the rest with his athletic ability and aggressiveness. His ability to make those incredible saves is pretty amazing and can look amazing, while if you have great squareness, edges, fundamentals, it’s easier to stay in position and make cross crease saves look easy. I always find when instead going all out for a 2 on 1 or 2 on 0 is unecessary when I could just keep my body up and gloves out, I always make more saves that way. 

@southpawtendy48 Damn! Gibson is the goalie in the NHL that I feel I come closest to playing like, style-wise.

To each their own, buttt... your favorite goalies are really the ones who are super-sound on fundamentals and make the hard saves look easy? Like, the goalie that's always in position and catches all the shots in their chest, like all goalie coaches want? That's admirable for sure, but I find it so boring to watch after a while.

I always liked a particular goalie who got up with the same leg every time and flicked his stick to the point that the blade was up by his ear after most five-hole goals. But goddamn, he was stylish and had tremendous athletic ability and was so fun to watch... 

56 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

@southpawtendy48 Damn! Gibson is the goalie in the NHL that I feel I come closest to playing like, style-wise.

To each their own, buttt... your favorite goalies are really the ones who are super-sound on fundamentals and make the hard saves look easy? Like, the goalie that's always in position and catches all the shots in their chest, like all goalie coaches want? That's admirable for sure, but I find it so boring to watch after a while.

I always liked a particular goalie who got up with the same leg every time and flicked his stick to the point that the blade was up by his ear after most five-hole goals. But goddamn, he was stylish and had tremendous athletic ability and was so fun to watch... 

More fun to watch? Sure, but they’re killing themselves and making their job a lot harder. I don’t expect every goalie to be spot on about it as it takes a long time to learn but those who do have it down I admire. 

9 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I have this small feeling that there are a few guys here who do enjoy Dave's work but just remain silent as not to stir the boat with the vocal majority. ?

Yeah of course, especially the younger among us. The problem with Dave's work is that it's too detailed and gaudy for the medium he's working in, but if he were in a different medium he would likely be a lot less maligned. I have no issue with his talent, just his artistic choices and execution.

8 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

John Gibson’s eflex 4 setup ? 

B233628F-39A7-4BE4-B14E-2800EC626D7D.jpeg

What's the break angle of this glove? It's the one Fleury used prior to using the 600, and is only made with a double cuff. It also reminds me of Quick's Vaughn glove. Can't stand the shape for some reason...

16 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Not sure, but I have a signed glove of his from last season...

6CB30B2C-24A2-4883-A815-628610305F8E.jpeg

Nice. I'm thinking it might be a legacy version of a 580/590 from the KOHO days? It's a pro only option, so the type of break may not be easy to determine.

Edit: Looks like it is indeed the legacy KOHO 590 break:

24d29f80001a3acd_small.jpeg

I wonder why they still make this one, and not the legacy 580 glove?

9 minutes ago, TitanG said:

Nice. I'm thinking it might be a legacy version of a 580/590 from the KOHO days? It's a pro only option, so the type of break may not be easy to determine.

Edit: Looks like it is indeed the legacy KOHO 590 break:

24d29f80001a3acd_small.jpeg

I wonder why they still make this one, and not the legacy 580 glove?

Probably because Koho pretty much is off the market sadly :(

Archived