Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

The Snake in a boring set of VE8's... Gone is the Sherwood stick as well

IMG_20180926_070523.thumb.jpg.0162fd7ab05d86968121615ccf337bdd.jpg

Three quick thoughts I had about Jake's set:

1. They could certainly be better, but I actually don't think these look too bad up close. I posted some far-away, first-look photo that was taken from the stands, and they looked much more sparse. Up close, the blue logos and side-gusset give them some more pop. 

2. Not to hijack this thread into another chestpad debate, but man, I love the proportions of the new ones. The padding around Allen's shoulders and right arm look right to me.

3. Sad to see Sherwood dropping out of the NHL goalie market entirely. Allen's using Bauer, Anderson's using Warrior, Pevalec retired 6 days ago (I didn't even know) ... are there any left? What's to become of Sherwood? Are they just resigned to becoming a pro-shop stick? 

53 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

That's the perfect mascot for a team in Philadelphia. The unkempt hair, the hanging gut, the look on his mug where you can't tell if he's happy to see you, or about to punch you in the face for liking a different sports team.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1769590/Gritty-Grumpy-Philly-Flyers-mascot-shoots-man-t-shirt-gun.html

Gritty don't give a fuck.

I'm kind of perplexed as to why Gritty is getting so much coverage, or why he's so divisive. I'm either seeing memes, the usual BuzzFeed treatment ("Gritty is everything that matters right now" / "Gritty is your new spirit animal" / "The Flyers have a new mascot and it will haunt your soul"), or people being legitimately angry about it. I guess I'm truly not picking up on why this is anything special... aren't all mascots some combination of weird/creepy/funny/lovable/ridiculous/stupid?

Either way, the Flyers' PR team must be happy as hell right now. This thing's gone viral.

5 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Scott Darling looking good in all red.

Weird that they're playing dark vs. dark, though.

1940ee78-f53d-4b81-a622-9c7a5e92e140-Preds-Car-092518-025.jpg

It is weird, but I like it. I've often wished they would start doing that more often. I mean, when the Hurricanes play the Devils or the Leafs play the Canucks, someone would have to wear their whites. But I think two full-colored jerseys on the ice looks pretty fantastic.

I still wish they could find a way to justify going back to teams wearing whites at home. I know that it doesn't really make sense when you take the logistics of travel and third jerseys into account, but I always think of how repetitive it gets for fans who go to home games. I've been watching a red team play a white team for almost 15 years of Devils games, now.

31 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

It is weird, but I like it. I've often wished they would start doing that more often. I mean, when the Hurricanes play the Devils or the Leafs play the Canucks, someone would have to wear their whites. But I think two full-colored jerseys on the ice looks pretty fantastic.

I still wish they could find a way to justify going back to teams wearing whites at home. I know that it doesn't really make sense when you take the logistics of travel and third jerseys into account, but I always think of how repetitive it gets for fans who go to home games. I've been watching a red team play a white team for almost 15 years of Devils games, now.

The new devils third is white based, I think it's the way to go there.

3 hours ago, stackem30 said:

Sad to see Sherwood dropping out of the NHL goalie market entirely. Allen's using Bauer, Anderson's using Warrior, Pevalec retired 6 days ago (I didn't even know) ... are there any left? What's to become of Sherwood? Are they just resigned to becoming a pro-shop stick

Sherwood was purchased by Canadian Tire a few months ago if I'm not mistaken?

30 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Sherwood was purchased by Canadian Tire a few months ago if I'm not mistaken?

Right you are, Motown: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian-tire-acquires-sher-wood-hockey-trademarks-1.999219

I wonder what they'll do with it... I really hope the Sherwood name continues, and that they don't sunset it like they did with Heaton. 

Edit: *does internet research* Someone who claimed to be from Sherwood (didn't seem like they have any reason to lie) posted this on a board where the acquisition was being discussed:

Hello everyone, as it’s been mentioned above, Sher-Wood Athletics Group has sold the Sher-Wood trademark and some of the assets to INA International, a division of Canadian Tire (CTC).

I'll let the dust settle a little bit more before I elaborate on the go forward strategy of the Sher-Wood brand within the CTC portfolio. Personally, I've been retained by CTC as Manager of Sher-Wood for INA. Unfortunately, some very good people from our head office were let go, but the North Americain sales force was retained.

Sher-Wood will be run as in independent brand and will continue to develop, market, and distribute Sher-Wood products to customers in Canada, the United States and internationally. The mandate is actually to grow the brand across all distribution channels as opposed to solely becoming a house brand for just the CTC banners.

8 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Right you are, Motown: https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian-tire-acquires-sher-wood-hockey-trademarks-1.999219

I wonder what they'll do with it... I really hope the Sherwood name continues, and that they don't sunset it like they did with Heaton. 

Edit: *does internet research* Someone who claimed to be from Sherwood (didn't seem like they have any reason to lie) posted this on a board where the acquisition was being discussed:

Hello everyone, as it’s been mentioned above, Sher-Wood Athletics Group has sold the Sher-Wood trademark and some of the assets to INA International, a division of Canadian Tire (CTC).

I'll let the dust settle a little bit more before I elaborate on the go forward strategy of the Sher-Wood brand within the CTC portfolio. Personally, I've been retained by CTC as Manager of Sher-Wood for INA. Unfortunately, some very good people from our head office were let go, but the North Americain sales force was retained.

Sher-Wood will be run as in independent brand and will continue to develop, market, and distribute Sher-Wood products to customers in Canada, the United States and internationally. The mandate is actually to grow the brand across all distribution channels as opposed to solely becoming a house brand for just the CTC banners.

Maybe Canadian Tire can do themselves a service and regain their once (pre '90s) good source for low to mid level goalie gear as I remember many moons ago, unless they solely focus on harbouring sticks only.

Archived