2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, RichMan said:

Maybe Canadian Tire can do themselves a service and regain their once (pre '90s) good source for low to mid level goalie gear as I remember many moons ago, unless they solely focus on harbouring sticks only.

As someone who works for CTC distribution, I can say this is absolutely the plan. It's going to take some time to align Forsani Group and Canadian Tire retail but it's definitely happening.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:06 PM, Moose75 said:

Yeah he plays so...strange. His saves always come off as accidental due to his weird posture. He always resorts to sprawling or splitting on second chances. I see why he constantly has little injuries. He looks so brittle in his motions.

A lot NHL guys have such bizarre styles it makes you wonder how much is actual technique and how much is simply "being a pro" mentally and physically. The later is much, much harder to achieve than something that takes muscle memory and repetition.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:31 PM, southpawtendy48 said:

Your boy? I’ve had to suffer watching him as a ducks fan! He has athletic ability but no fundamentals whatsoever. A great goalie makes hard saves look easy, simple as that

As a Ducks fan, I´m really worried if Gibby is going to be injured each season. Every time there is his lower body injury again, Viktor Fasth comes to my mind - great goalie, but injuries ruined his NHL days. Those lower body injuries gets worse over when you get older...

Must say I don´t like watching his style of play much, but he is succesfull with what works for him (says Jonas Hiller fan :D !)  

Back to topic - his new set is now not boring, but something is not good on it, like it don´t match togethetr well (?).

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:21 AM, southpawtendy48 said:

Not sure, but I have a signed glove of his from last season...

6CB30B2C-24A2-4883-A815-628610305F8E.jpeg

I have his Vaughn glove (before he switched to CCM) and break looks custom, it is not standard Velocity.  

7 hours ago, mik said:

As a Ducks fan, I´m really worried if Gibby is going to be injured each season. Every time there is his lower body injury again, Viktor Fasth comes to my mind - great goalie, but injuries ruined his NHL days. Those lower body injuries gets worse over when you get older...

Must say I don´t like watching his style of play much, but he is succesfull with what works for him (says Jonas Hiller fan :D !)  

Back to topic - his new set is now not boring, but something is not good on it, like it don´t match togethetr well (?).

I have his Vaughn glove (before he switched to CCM) and break looks custom, it is not standard Velocity.  

I’m a big hiller fan too! at least to some point he had fundamentals but he was really fun to watch. I wish I was into hockey when he played w the ducks lol.

agreed on the setup tho but at least it’s more dynamic than last years.

7 hours ago, mik said:

Depietro was the worst case of this IMO.

I like the style that Lehner has gone with the last couple of seasons, reminiscent of Tim Thomas of 2010-2013 (white mask with grey details):

I think his mask from two seasons ago in Buffalo was better though:

Lehner-sketched-mask-full.jpg

And from back in the day in Ottawa:

1513735_10152842945349819_47887358879917

I think if Dave puts his details in a monochromatic theme like these masks it looks a lot less messy, but still is far from the solid coloured themes that are the most aesthetically pleasing from a distance.

Also interesting that he has only minimal vent holes on his Pro's Choice mask.

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

Depietro was the worst case of this IMO.

This is a rare case where a best/worst claim doesn't require any form of "IMO". Few athletes in history have Rick's absolutely tragicomic ability to get injured. Several of the injuries were of his own making, if memory serves me correctly... 

• Picking a fight with Brent Johnson (DP started the whole scrum) gave him a broken jaw, and I believe additional knee problems when he pulled Johnson down onto his knee after taking the punch.
  • Then he opted to wear one of Osgood's old buckets (I believe because it didn't press up against his jaw), and got concussed from a headshot in practice. Maybe I'm making this up, but I swear I remember reading that the Isles' trainer advised against wearing it in the first place...
  • Like @bunnyman666 said, Rick opted to "get huge" rather than concentrate on agility and durability. I remember seeing him after one offseason, and he really just looked like some guy who had decided to "get swole" and dove headfirst into gym culture. I remember thinking his new physique looked like it has nothing to do with wanting to be a better, healthier goalie. And it definitely didn't help him. 

9 hours ago, mik said:

Every time there is his lower body injury again, Viktor Fasth comes to my mind - great goalie, but injuries ruined his NHL days. 

Wasn't he already like 31 or 32 when they gave him a shot? Probably already had a history. Also playing behind the Oilers in their prime will do that too. Fasth is still kickin' it with Växjö in the SHL.

Hiller started to really sink at the NHL level after his vertigo bouts, which sucked because for a while he was amazing. I liked Hiller's style; stop the initial shot, coast around on your knees until it's out of the zone, haha.

I’m pretty sure it was facial fractures and not a broken jaw that dipietro had from the fight. That’s why the combo helmet was preferred because it put less pressure on his cheek. Also I believe Brent Johnson’s NHL career was over shortly after that fight. Maybe the rest of that season and that was it. 

Hiller is the only guy I’ve seen who could be as effective moving while down as while up. 

4 hours ago, TitanG said:

I like the style that Lehner has gone with the last couple of seasons, reminiscent of Tim Thomas of 2010-2013 (white mask with grey details):

I think his mask from two seasons ago in Buffalo was better though:

Lehner-sketched-mask-full.jpg

I think if Dave puts his details in a monochromatic theme like these masks it looks a lot less messy, but still is far from the solid coloured themes that are the most aesthetically pleasing from a distance.

Also interesting that he has only minimal vent holes on his Pro's Choice mask.

I'm a big fan of the sketch work Dave has done. The Isles and Sabres masks shown are extreme examples of the use of the technique as they're about the only one used rather than being one of many Dave usually employs on a mask. I get that from the 200 level+ the mask probably just looks either unpainted or a moderate shade of grey... but whatever. The sketch brings an element of hand drawn design (whether it actually is or not) that you just don't get with an airbrush and stencils. 

Of all the masks I've had painted the one I think I enjoyed the is a series of black and white images. Would love to have a similar one done with this sketch method. 

1039803159_Mask01.thumb.JPG.01757f2198bcb9baf5f919d489310d67.JPG2083773070_Mask03.thumb.JPG.7e3640d1438bfd321707b8e2a57149d6.JPG868576405_Mask04.thumb.JPG.4db28c8488eea60fe896dc8153686634.JPG

4 hours ago, Moose75 said:

Wasn't he already like 31 or 32 when they gave him a shot? Probably already had a history. Also playing behind the Oilers in their prime will do that too. Fasth is still kickin' it with Växjö in the SHL.

Hiller started to really sink at the NHL level after his vertigo bouts, which sucked because for a while he was amazing. I liked Hiller's style; stop the initial shot, coast around on your knees until it's out of the zone, haha.

Fasth was 30 when he entered NHL with Ducks in season 2012-2013. He had strong first season, but then injuries come, traded to Oilers 2014 and another injury next season. But he was realy good goalie again back in Europe (CSKA, Sweden national team).

Hillers is still one of best goalies in Swiss league  (NLA) for EHC Biel, played at Olympics and World Championship. I don´t share same opinion about his post vertigo - his injury was in 2011 and he had good seasons after that. Realy good in 2013-2014 with Ducks and 2014-2015 with weak Flames team...  

22 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'm a big fan of the sketch work Dave has done. The Isles and Sabres masks shown are extreme examples of the use of the technique as they're about the only one used rather than being one of many Dave usually employs on a mask. I get that from the 200 level+ the mask probably just looks either unpainted or a moderate shade of grey... but whatever. The sketch brings an element of hand drawn design (whether it actually is or not) that you just don't get with an airbrush and stencils. 

Of all the masks I've had painted the one I think I enjoyed the is a series of black and white images. Would love to have a similar one done with this sketch method. 

1039803159_Mask01.thumb.JPG.01757f2198bcb9baf5f919d489310d67.JPG2083773070_Mask03.thumb.JPG.7e3640d1438bfd321707b8e2a57149d6.JPG868576405_Mask04.thumb.JPG.4db28c8488eea60fe896dc8153686634.JPG

I dig your helmet!

Anyone know what neck guard Mike McKenna is using? Is it the ECOFoam product? I know in the past it was a Maltese but considering their recent issues, I’m not so sure anymore:

500668FF-D5D6-4194-A91E-7F86456EB8A1.thumb.jpeg.f43d5fff49ccb565d89aae1124b6ac26.jpeg

Edit: On further look from another angle, it looks to be his Maltese unit from last season (see the green) just covered with some red. Does this indicate an inability to get new Maltese product?

0D1765CD-FD9D-469D-985D-8941668F422B.thumb.jpeg.ed23c9e9fcb0a2ce00150c57e63ad05c.jpeg

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

Anyone know what neck guard Mike McKenna is using? Is it the ECOFoam product? I know in the past it was a Maltese but considering their recent issues, I’m not so sure anymore:

500668FF-D5D6-4194-A91E-7F86456EB8A1.thumb.jpeg.f43d5fff49ccb565d89aae1124b6ac26.jpeg

Edit: On further look from another angle, it looks to be his Maltese unit from last season (see the green) just covered with some red. Does this indicate an inability to get new Maltese product?

0D1765CD-FD9D-469D-985D-8941668F422B.thumb.jpeg.ed23c9e9fcb0a2ce00150c57e63ad05c.jpeg

Maltese is dead

Archived