2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

2 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know Kincaid's mask is not for everyone and I don't know if I am actually fan, but I applaud him for trying something different. The challenge of trying new ideas sometimes gets in the DaveArt process. Now that every goalie gets 2 masks a season... "it's all been done". 

I have a feeling if polled the board we want everyone in a Roy Habs, Broduer, Potvin, Quick, or Moog Bruins style mask. 

Is it different, though? Gibson's had several masks with pixelated Ducks logos... 

Even if we pretend those masks didn't exist, I'd say that the reason someone hadn't done this before is pretty obvious: it looks terrible. I don't think there's much to be said in defense of this mask, but that's just my 2 cents.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I know Kincaid's mask is not for everyone and I don't know if I am actually fan, but I applaud him for trying something different. The challenge of trying new ideas sometimes gets in the DaveArt process. Now that every goalie gets 2 masks a season... "it's all been done". 

I have a feeling if polled the board we want everyone in a Roy Habs, Broduer, Potvin, Quick, or Moog Bruins style mask. 

I didn't see it until someone posted on IG that its the Tasmanian Devil.  Now I see it clear as day.  Before I knew what it was, for the life of me I could not figure it out.  I've seen several people saying the same.  That's not a good thing for an artist.

2 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I didn't see it until someone posted in IG that its the Tasmanian Devil.  Now I see it clear as day.  Before I knew what it was for the life of me I could not figure it out.  I've seen several people saying the same.  That's not a good thing for an artist.

That clearly means that we don't have a true eye of an artist.

I'm 50/50 on it. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of the guys here are saying, but I'm not sold on it either.

None of these masks stand out, they all seem to blend together and despite there being tons on unique crap all over them, none of them actually seem unique or personal.

I showed several of the DaveArt masks from this thread to my girlfriend who is neither an artist nor a goaltender. She said, “Ew”, “That’s hideous” and finally “No”. Take that for what it’s worth. By comparison, when shown the non-DaveArt Penguins mask in this thread she said she liked the angry penguin. 

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

That clearly means that we don't have a true eye of an artist.

I'm 50/50 on it. I don't think it's as bad as a lot of the guys here are saying, but I'm not sold on it either.

None of these masks stand out, they all seem to blend together and despite there being tons on unique crap all over them, none of them actually seem unique or personal.

I mean, I don't think being unable to make out a picture means I don't have the eye of an artist.  I know I'm not an artist because I suck at art.  This is just an awful painting.

1 minute ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I mean, I don't think being unable to make out a picture means I don't have the eye of an artist.  I know I'm not an artist because I suck at art.  This is just an awful painting.

I'm just busting your balls.

13 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Is it different, though? Gibson's had several masks with pixelated Ducks logos... 

Even if we pretend those masks didn't exist, I'd say that the reason someone hadn't done this before is pretty obvious: it looks terrible. I don't think there's much to be said in defense of this mask, but that's just my 2 cents.

You know what's funny? Look at the consensus of this board and even GSBB. We don't like a lot of Dave's designs. 

Take a read through this reddit thread on Kinkiad's mask.

They absolutely adore it. It's the best thing ever. OMGOMGOMGOMG.

It's such a stark contrast between the two boards.

20 minutes ago, stackem30 said:

Good call on Gibson, I had not thought about that one. But that is still 3 out of 300 over the last couple seasons. It's definitely a different style that isn't for everyone. 

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You know what's funny? Look at the consensus of this board and even GSBB. We don't like a lot of Dave's designs. 

I know noting about Reddit. Are those hockey fans commenting or is that goalies?

I was probably about hte biggest DaveART hater on earth until I wrote that article and actually thought about him. I honestly don't like most of his masks, but I respect that he is always trying new ideas and techniques. At least he keeps things from getting stagnate. 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

I know noting about Reddit. Are those hockey fans commenting or is that goalies?

I was probably about hte biggest DaveART hater on earth until I wrote that article and actually thought about him. I honestly don't like most of his masks, but I respect that he is always trying new ideas and techniques. At least he keeps things from getting stagnate. 

That's hockey fans.

Goalies have their own page https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeygoalies/

But it's less active and really not a great resource.

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

See, I would argue that his work is generally the same, and that it all feels very repetitive and stagnant. I mean, you can spot a DaveArt mask pretty easily: cluttered, lens flares, ghosted logos, glitter, racing stripes, the 'crown' effect... you see the same design elements again, and again, and again. I guess I just don't see the originality. God knows he writes about how creative and boundary-pushing his designs are, but my eyes don't see it.

I'm sure it's not for lack of trying. The guy has too many masks to pump out for him to really work with original concepts. As much as I generally dislike his work, I have nothing against the man himself. He's making a living and enjoying success doing something that he loves. 

7 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I actually kinda like the mask, though have lots of suggestions for improvement and agree that while a great artist, Dave does make a lot of masks that are waaaaayyy too busy. To each their own though, of course.

9 hours ago, stackem30 said:

See, I would argue that his work is generally the same, and that it all feels very repetitive and stagnant. I mean, you can spot a DaveArt mask pretty easily: cluttered, lens flares, ghosted logos, glitter, racing stripes, the 'crown' effect... you see the same design elements again, and again, and again. I guess I just don't see the originality. God knows he writes about how creative and boundary-pushing his designs are, but my eyes don't see it.

I'm sure it's not for lack of trying. The guy has too many masks to pump out for him to really work with original concepts. As much as I generally dislike his work, I have nothing against the man himself. He's making a living and enjoying success doing something that he loves. 

But DaveART either popularized those techniques or invented them. Before him, we had glossy masks with cartoonish images or team logos.

again, it may not be “better” but it’s an evolution none the less 

DaveArt paint designs  are all the same. He may have been talented at one time, but it all looks like same composition, different colourway. Does he do his designs blindfolded or does he really have cataracts or glaucoma? Of course weed treats glaucoma, and maybe he self medicates  before, during, and after painting. Of course it could be that he sniffs all that paint. Paint sniffing really messes with your head. 

Jack Krap is better. Let’s hope Jack Krap gets out of jail soon!!!!

14 hours ago, TitanG said:

I actually kinda like the mask, though have lots of suggestions for improvement and agree that while a great artist, Dave does make a lot of masks that are waaaaayyy too busy. To each their own though, of course.

I have this small feeling that there are a few guys here who do enjoy Dave's work but just remain silent as not to stir the boat with the vocal majority. ?

20 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I have this small feeling that there are a few guys here who do enjoy Dave's work but just remain silent as not to stir the boat with the vocal majority. ?

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that.

The work is only part of the problem though; there's also the "emjoi/hieroglyphics" style of writing about these masks that makes it seem like his account is managed by a teen aged Taylor Swift fan or something (again, props to @stackem30 for his divine parody of the style in @bunnyman666's logo thread.)

It just seems very high school: "I want to be unique because I'm an important individual, so I'm going to cherry pick a subset of mass production trend compliant goods that i am told reflect my individuality, and wear it in the exact same way as all my friends."

4 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Yeah, I think you're probably right about that.

The work is only part of the problem though; there's also the "emjoi/hieroglyphics" style of writing about these masks that makes it seem like his account is managed by a teen aged Taylor Swift fan or something (again, props to @stackem30 for his divine parody of the style in @bunnyman666's logo thread.)

It just seems very high school: "I want to be unique because I'm an important individual, so I'm going to cherry pick a subset of mass production trend compliant goods that i am told reflect my individuality, and wear it in the exact same way as all my friends."

DaveArt’s rotator cuff must be wearing out from all of the patting himself on the back! His descriptions are pretty nauseating!

Archived