2018-2019 NHL Gear Sitings

Steph Lawa

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TitanG said:

Anyone know what neck guard Mike McKenna is using? Is it the ECOFoam product? I know in the past it was a Maltese but considering their recent issues, I’m not so sure anymore: 

500668FF-D5D6-4194-A91E-7F86456EB8A1.thumb.jpeg.f43d5fff49ccb565d89aae1124b6ac26.jpeg

Edit: On further look from another angle, it looks to be his Maltese unit from last season (see the green) just covered with some red. Does this indicate an inability to get new Maltese product?

0D1765CD-FD9D-469D-985D-8941668F422B.thumb.jpeg.ed23c9e9fcb0a2ce00150c57e63ad05c.jpeg

At the time of my departure, there was no manufacturing or production house in place for the neck or knee pads.

7 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

At the time of my departure, there was no manufacturing or production house in place for the neck or knee pads.

Glad I got in on the knee pads when I did.  That was probably going to be one of the only neck guards I actually would have been comfortable in.  Never did get my demo unit last year.  The rep kind of ghosted on me, and then I ended up getting a new c/a, moving houses, getting the 2S full set, and some other major household purchases, so that kind of went on the backburner anyway.

2 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Maltese is dead

I still wear their neckguard and it’s fantastic, but the ecoprofoam in my mask is nothing short of amazing. Very soft, only downside is that their chin cups aren’t very good and I’ll probably have to switch to a chin sling. 

Their price for their neck guard is listed as $150 (which isn’t out yet on the site) though which I think is a bit much considering what Maltese has was one of a kind, unless it completely blows it out of the water I’m not buying it. 

25 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

All I’ve heard is rumors about their demise.  Cash flow issues... supplier issues.  It’s really surprising tbh 

I’m not.

I remember it taking six weeks to get lace bite pads a few years back. Between things like that and other grumblings from industry insiders, the only reason why I am slightly surprised was that it almost seemed like possibly a corner was turned. Publicly asking Monster for their money kinda reinforced the bad feeling about the business surviving.

Truly sad.

3 hours ago, Mroy31 said:

Glad I got in on the knee pads when I did.  That was probably going to be one of the only neck guards I actually would have been comfortable in.  Never did get my demo unit last year.  The rep kind of ghosted on me, and then I ended up getting a new c/a, moving houses, getting the 2S full set, and some other major household purchases, so that kind of went on the backburner anyway.

Same, and I got a neck guard too at some great prices. I’ll have to see what everyone says of the ECOfoam product though.

On 9/24/2018 at 11:34 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm just busting your balls.

You know what's funny? Look at the consensus of this board and even GSBB. We don't like a lot of Dave's designs. 

Take a read through this reddit thread on Kinkiad's mask.

They absolutely adore it. It's the best thing ever. OMGOMGOMGOMG.

It's such a stark contrast between the two boards.

I know I'm late to this party, but it looks pretty good from a bit more distance than the DaveArt up-close picture is taken. It will probably look pretty decent on the ice.

I am a total sucker for pixel art though.

11 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

MAF on his 3rd C&A of the pre season 

CCM, Brian’s, and now Vaughn

A0767423-7B04-455E-AF2C-459B14A3CF0F.thumb.jpeg.4ea3d0f5050678df832e4189b7e89738.jpeg

Can Ward with Kenesky floaters on a VE8 C&A. Vaughn says this illegal to mod C&As without league approval 

AAD706D7-D3D2-4D03-8470-27C6188D6A4C.thumb.jpeg.c153fa50bdd0dc7688ab256b592eee56.jpeg

That could just be Vaughn complaining. If they are not paid to wear a certain brand and the mix&match parts meet the new rules, it's green lights all the way.

5 minutes ago, RichMan said:

That could just be Vaughn complaining. If they are not paid to wear a certain brand and the mix&match parts meet the new rules, it's green lights all the way.

Agreed, not the 1st time Mike Vaughn has whined about goalies using other companies beside his.

9 minutes ago, RichMan said:

What Vaughn says actually makes sense though. 

The entire assembled unit is custom fit to the goalie and approved by the league. If they start swapping parts between units, it’s not the same approved unit that was reviewed by the league. 

This absolutely could just be Vaughn being defensive, but there’s a logic to it. I work in manufacturing and having a qualified production process and validation is key. If the NHL did this right, they’d have some validation standards. Once it’s validated, it shouldn’t be allowed to change. 

The entire assembled unit is custom fit to the goalie and approved by the league. If they start swapping parts between units, it’s not the same approved unit that was reviewed by the league. 

This absolutely could just be Vaughn being defensive, but there’s a logic to it. I work in manufacturing and having a qualified production process and validation is key. If the NHL did this right, they’d have some validation standards. Once it’s validated, it shouldn’t be allowed to change. 

If the newly Frankensteined unit was given to Whitless to look over, ol’ Mikey can’t do didley squat about sending Whitless the Frankied unit, correct? 

29 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

If the newly Frankensteined unit was given to Whitless to look over, ol’ Mikey can’t do didley squat about sending Whitless the Frankied unit, correct? 

Exactly... there are tons of heavily modded pieces of gear getting KW's initials... Why not a frankenchest?

45 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

This absolutely could just be Vaughn being defensive, but there’s a logic to it. I work in manufacturing and having a qualified production process and validation is key. If the NHL did this right, they’d have some validation standards. Once it’s validated, it shouldn’t be allowed to change. 

There's a difference here between a custom unit for said goalie and overall size rulings. I can understand that the c/a for goalie A was tailored to his size (body measurements), but the overall consensus for the size of each piece of a c/a (shoulder wings, elbow blocks, bicep blocks, rib panels) have been determined across the board for every manufacturer and regardless if you play Lego with 3 different units to create your own that feels good to you and still meets regulations and safety, I can't see where the problem is. Other than void the products guarantee due to so called modification.

During the HabsvsSens game tonight, the announcer quoted Anderson stating to him that with the new regulations of the c/a, where the creases are, you (he) definitely feels the puck more. Is this a concern? To be determined. This is perfect grounds for the mix & match game to take place IMO.

There's a difference here between a custom unit for said goalie and overall size rulings. I can understand that the c/a for goalie A was tailored to his size (body measurements), but the overall consensus for the size of each piece of a c/a (shoulder wings, elbow blocks, bicep blocks, rib panels) have been determined across the board for every manufacturer and regardless if you play Lego with 3 different units to create your own that feels good to you and still meets regulations and safety, I can't see where the problem is. Other than void the products guarantee due to so called modification.

During the HabsvsSens game tonight, the announcer quoted Anderson stating to him that with the new regulations of the c/a, where the creases are, you (he) definitely feels the puck more. Is this a concern? To be determined. This is perfect grounds for the mix & match game to take place IMO.

Good points; one clarification: pro stock has no warranty, which is why such product is priced so cheaply for the pro teams being that pros go through so many units. Mikey Vaughn bloody well knows this and is being a cry baby once again. If ol’ Mikey wants to stop the erosion of his brand’s stock, he just needs to STFU about things like this and Carey Price becoming an inferior goalie due to switching from Vaughn. Mikey is sounding like a whiney bitch.

Vaughn needs to focus on getting into the now with their equipment instead of quibbling over someone putting shoulder floaters from another unit onto their chesty.

I suspect this new CA spec thing is producing less than desirable results for some and goalies are feeling more shots. If you’re used to and/or desire to feel the puck, these new regs will not bother that pro in question. If you used extra padding and now you’re asked not to, this is changing your game.  

On 9/29/2018 at 9:44 PM, cwarnar said:

Exactly... there are tons of heavily modded pieces of gear getting KW's initials... Why not a frankenchest?

On 9/29/2018 at 9:14 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I’m not 100% sure if Vaughn was correct or just being defensive.

Continueing under the assumption Vaughn was correct... then the Frankenunit would need to be sent back to Kay for a second approval. 

This is different than in years past because each unit is built to the goalie’s exact measurements. It’s not like going from 12” pads to 11” pads, it’s like the last change to thigh rises based off a goalies height 

34 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Continueing under the assumption Vaughn was correct... then the Frankenunit would need to be sent back to Kay for a second approval. 

This is different than in years past because each unit is built to the goalie’s exact measurements. It’s not like going from 12” pads to 11” pads, it’s like the last change to thigh rises based off a goalies height 

I don't see it anymore different than if you hit up Brown or Battram or Passau and give them your measurements as if going to a tailor to get fitted for a suit - shoulder width, torso length, arms length and voilà. Everything else was voted by the committee to respect specific measurements for specific protective pieces (wings, elbows, shoulder caps, etc). 

Continuing under the assumption Vaughn was correct... then the Frankenunit would need to be sent back to Kay for a second approval. 

This is different than in years past because each unit is built to the goalie’s exact measurements. It’s not like going from 12” pads to 11” pads, it’s like the last change to thigh rises based off a goalies height 

The best way is using a tamper-evident method of joining the floaters, etc. so then it would have to go back for approval. Since a pro unit’s adjustability has been essentially eliminated anyhow, one would have to submit everything back for approval if you did something like change one strap anyway, right?

Sometimes, you gotta tinker ‘til you get it right! Why would Vaughn publicly quibble about this? Obviously, it is making it look like Vaughn will not be flexible during this time of changing specs with a “my way, no highway option” on the size and/or construction of the floaters, for example. Like I have said previously, if Vaughn wants to save an eroding reputation, they need to stop publicly commenting on things like this and how Price became a terrible goalie after switching from Vaughn equipment and work on building a better mousetrap! With things like this, I am wanting to steer clear of purchasing anything from Vaughn. 

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

if Vaughn wants to save an eroding reputation, they need to stop publicly commenting on things like this and how Price became a terrible goalie after switching from Vaughn equipment and work on building a better mousetrap! With things like this, I am wanting to steer clear of purchasing anything from Vaughn. 

Or not take 18 weeks to deliver a pair of stock gloves.

Archived