Contusion Corner (and other discolouration curiosities)

Lucky Pucker

Very regular interaction with my partner:

me: (biting or picking/tearing my nails)

p: stop that.

m: no.  why?

p: you're going to bleed and it hurts you.

m: I know. so what "ouch, fuck."

p: see!!

m:  see what? It feels good..

p: good?  what is good about that?

m: I control this pain.  I don't control that discomfort (finger swirl pointing out).

p: (scowls)

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
16 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

From a little while ago, but this one was from a shot that somehow evaded the inside of the pad.

Its been a month since I’ve played. I’d give up getting tagged like that twice to have a chance to play. Looks like February, only 8 days or so, but it feels like next year!

BCC5915B-31F9-4964-A7FA-BB8AF4F48A58.jpeg

You know you're supposed to face the shooter right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MTH said:

My little dude plays center. Took an errant slap shot to the upper leg close to his boys. He says he has a big bruise. Told him to be proud of it.

Scared the heck out of me when I saw it happen. Poor kid.

Glad he's ok.

It's "cool" when it happens to us....not cool when it happens to a kid.

• Like 1

Parent changes you for sure. Case and point - USA Hockey really increased the checking rules this season.

As a pro hockey fan; I was aghast at the new restrictions. 'Are you kidding me! What wimps!'

As a parent of a kid in Midget hockey (and another Bantam next year), I'm cool with them. 

If you don't know the rules now - basically you have to initiate contact with the puck before making body contact. Emphasis is on playing the puck and using body contact in order to gain control. Rule makes just hitting the puck carrier first illegal. You know this will work its way up the line. Youth now, HS next with college and juniors adapting before it turns up in pro hockey.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Parent changes you for sure. Case and point - USA Hockey really increased the checking rules this season.

As a pro hockey fan; I was aghast at the new restrictions. 'Are you kidding me! What wimps!'

As a parent of a kid in Midget hockey (and another Bantam next year), I'm cool with them. 

If you don't know the rules now - basically you have to initiate contact with the puck before making body contact. Emphasis is on playing the puck and using body contact in order to gain control. Rule makes just hitting the puck carrier first illegal. You know this will work its way up the line. Youth now, HS next with college and juniors adapting before it turns up in pro hockey.

This is a really hard issue. We want the kids, esp at the age of yours, to love the game for the rest of their lives. But what happens when they, as they move up in ages, come up against a group that knows how to deliver and take a hit? I'm not suggesting that 12 yr olds should know how to deliver and take a check and I like the concept of the restrictions. But there's always some coach somewhere who is preparing his team handle the check game, and I'd hate to see a kid say at age 16 being totally unable to adapt to checking. In some ways, a parent like you is in a tough spot as your child progresses through the age groups. Your prediction is likely correct but that will take a lot of time. At least, the rules in your area dont have the kids wear "stop" signs on the back of the sweater which has to be the most useless idea ever. Dont we have an obligation to teach young players not to hit from behind?

I am kinda a glad my daughter was never interested in the sport enough to want to play. Instead, she chose horses which means I will work until I am dead. :) 

• Like 1

My older one has played two years of Bantam with the hitting rules from last season and earlier. So he's in his third year (with all the 2006 kids) and now they had to learn to scale it back a little. But the referees are not calling the rules the same. Some abide by the new rules others seem to not know them or just don't care. It's confusing for them.

So as a coach, what do you tell your kids?

You can still deliver a big hit legally. You therefore can get hit the same too. Just that I stress on the kids to keep their stick down with the blade on the ice as much as possible.

But when a teammate gets blown up, teenagers all want to do the same to the other team. So they get a bit unwieldly if the game gets out of control. Have to work hard to help keep them composed through it. They're still all kids on the ice and nobody wants to see them get hurt.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MTH said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if “finishing your check” were outlawed in seasons to come if it hasn’t already.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2022 at 1:03 PM, bunnyman666 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if “finishing your check” were outlawed in seasons to come if it hasn’t already.

It is. The rules are good in the fact that they push physical contact for the purpose to get the puck. Here's a part of the rules.

From: https://www.usahockeyrulebook.com/page/show/1015119-standard-of-play-and-rule-emphasis-body-checking

Roughing
A player cannot use the hands, stick or extension of the arms to body check an opponent or deliver a late body check to a player who is not in control of the puck. Examples include:

• Intentionally physically engaging with an opponent who does not have possession or control of the puck or when there is no effort to gain possession of the puck.
  • Delivering a late check to a player who has already relinquished control of the puck by a pass or shot. This is oftentimes referred to as “finishing” the check.
  • Any avoidable contact after the whistle shall be penalized strictly, including scrum situations around the goal or along the boards. Officials are instructed to assess an additional penalty to those players acting as the aggressor or who instigates any contact after the whistle.

Summary
All USA Hockey members must demonstrate awareness and support for the application, spirit and the respect of the rules in order for continued improvement in the game of hockey. At the same time, it is important to remember that:

• A player is entitled to use proper body position and competitive contact in all age classifications in order to gain a competitive advantage.
  • Players are allowed to physically engage with an opponent using their strength and balance as long as their primary focus is to gain possession of the puck.
  • In classification where body checking is allowed, the focus of the body check must be to gain possession of the puck.
  • Proper body checking technique starts with stick on puck, therefore the stick blade of the player delivering the check must be below the knees.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
23 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@ThatCarGuy there's a strange "comfort" that warmups are awful at all levels of hockey while at the same time - sympathy for your less than comfortable outcome due to their shittiness. I'm not even sure what one does for such an injury but may you mend soon.

They put me in a fiberglass splint for the time being and I plan on sticking with this over a cast because I can take this off. Since it’s such a small chip should heal and be usable pretty quick. Doctors wanted me to go see an orthopedic surgeon to get a proper opinion

Gotta love that a tournament is next weekend and playoffs in 2 weekends

Edited by ThatCarGuy

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Teammate decided to take a wrist shot from the corner during warmups and caught me in the wrist. 
66DCBD20-E674-4BD9-B2AC-ACF83CBD7009.thumb.jpeg.e24f0fcb15fc1ca6015f4ccc20ca9aa7.jpeg

Nice small chip to show for it and that’s about all. Also went all the way to a shootout loss with this securing the point needed to put us in playoffs 

Really sorry to read this buddy 😞. So are you actually saying that while you’re looking forward/toward blueline presumably, someone on YOUR team decided to shoot at you from the side/corner, when you weren’t facing them or making eye contact…?