Glove Comparison Database

TheGoalNet

58 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

If we ignore what the OEMs label their products, here is how I see the world

image.png.d44bb3696916441f71b56a4020fa5f11.png

I get the opposite feeling from switching to a V9 from a 590.  The 590 closes across the palm with the tip of the index finger coming to the base of the thumb.  The V9 closes at the base of the fingers, with more of a tip of the index finger to tip of the thumb closure.

48 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Brian's probably the hardest to classify for sure. But Wouldn't you agree it's more of a fingers than a palm closure?

That's my goal here, let's focus on how the glove closes and not compare it to a number or other models?

Yeah agreed it’s way more fingers and how the glove physically closes is far more important than the name it’s given.

37 minutes ago, AdamL said:

I get the opposite feeling from switching to a V9 from a 590.  The 590 closes across the palm with the tip of the index finger coming to the base of the thumb.  The V9 closes at the base of the fingers, with more of a tip of the index finger to tip of the thumb closure.

This is the "challenge" with gloves. We all feel things differently. I can say Vaughn XP Velo and 590 should feel similar.

4 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Brian's probably the hardest to classify for sure. But Wouldn't you agree it's more of a fingers than a palm closure?

That's my goal here, let's focus on how the glove closes and not compare it to a number or other models?

3 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Yeah agreed it’s way more fingers and how the glove physically closes is far more important than the name it’s given.

GNetik glvoes definitely close across the fingers. The break in my GNetikIV rests along my knuckles entirely.

Isn't V9 different than SLR, or to say V9 refers to 590 and SLR to 600.

I like the different approach from @TheGoalNet where the angle isn't the definition for the break. It's not even the indexfinger-to issue which makes the comparison even more difficult.

From my current gloves I use are Simmons UL?, Vaughn VE8, Bauer Total One, CCM Eflex3 two-piece, Vaughn Epic 8800, Brians Sub Zero, Vaughn 1100, 2200 and 2000, and even sometimes Vaughn 7500. They all feel pretty constant to me and I can catch well without any settling in.

Then again if I take Bauer Reactor 9000 I cannot catch with it no matter how I try to adapt. Almost as bad is Vauhgn LT90. I've had a few CCM gloves with 600 (different that the 2-piece above) and the same issue, some angle on those gloves just don't fit to me. Bauer 1X was a bit of a struggle where I would constantly get hit to thumb area instead of pocket.

This all just for reference as I'm only a rookie having fun playing goalie. And modding gear.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:23 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

The biggest problem I have with the the diagram is all the gloves in “palm/thumb to index finger” are so incredibly different from one another it’s hard to classify them. 

That's the point and any brand I have I talked to would say "try the gloves on and don't get stuck on the marketing explanation". Within each style of gloves, there are a ton of options. Maybe a 5500 does not work for you, but an SLR3 does.

On 2/27/2022 at 2:51 AM, ArdeFIN said:

Isn't V9 different than SLR, or to say V9 refers to 590 and SLR to 600.

I like the different approach from @TheGoalNet where the angle isn't the definition for the break. It's not even the indexfinger-to issue which makes the comparison even more difficult.

From my current gloves I use are Simmons UL?, Vaughn VE8, Bauer Total One, CCM Eflex3 two-piece, Vaughn Epic 8800, Brians Sub Zero, Vaughn 1100, 2200 and 2000, and even sometimes Vaughn 7500. They all feel pretty constant to me and I can catch well without any settling in.

Then again if I take Bauer Reactor 9000 I cannot catch with it no matter how I try to adapt. Almost as bad is Vauhgn LT90. I've had a few CCM gloves with 600 (different that the 2-piece above) and the same issue, some angle on those gloves just don't fit to me. Bauer 1X was a bit of a struggle where I would constantly get hit to thumb area instead of pocket.

This all just for reference as I'm only a rookie having fun playing goalie. And modding gear.

Yes, V9 is different than SLR, but they are both designed to be that whole hand hand closure style though. I believe Vaughn would explain the thumb angle or shape as the differences between the gloves.

There are also 2 different V9 gloves. The 2 piece cuff is the V9 and it's that more traditional "Vaughn break". The V9 XP is the 1 piece cuff and is straight up 590 clone.

Great thing about Vaughn? They have limitless glove break options for people to try... The bad thing about Vaughn? It's confusing AF keeping up with all the different variants.

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

That's the point and any brand I have I talked to would say "try the gloves on and don't get stuck on the marketing explanation". Within each style of gloves, there are a ton of options. Maybe a 5500 does not work for you, but an SLR3 does.

Perks of working at monkey sports over the summer, if anyone has any questions regarding how a glove feels all I have to say is “you tell me”

One more aspect to the discussion. Hand size, it does matter a lot to how you feel a certain glove.

Me, I'm equipped with long fingers so that I use size 11/XXL working gloves just to fit my fingers. Those working gloves are usually way too wide to feel comfortable but at the same time there is no way I could use smaller sizes and have the glove fingers start at my second joint below knuckles.

For goalie gloves I struggle with CCM, the fingers are way too short for me. Bauer is close secong and I think Brians is pretty small too (haven't tried the newer models). Vaughn is well useable but the best is Warrior XL palm. It is super wide though but that can be handled with some strapping etc.

Same with catcher, basic rule is you should set your knuckles at certain point to make the break work ideally with your hand closure. This leads to thumb placement which changes with the hand size and affects the feel and also to the wrist strap. None of these are adjustable directly to your hand size lengthvise, but more so with how fat or thin your hand is.

Warrior has benefit in cathcers with their palm design, that you can also adjust a little to your hand size. But not much.

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Warrior gloves are 75 break. This list is incorrect.

But they do feel more similar to 590 in my opinion. From my experience gloves that are 590ish are warrior, Velocity, vapor, and Brian’s Gnetik. 580 is on its own (for now) and gloves that feel most similar to 600 are Optik, Supreme, and Ventus. 600 is by far the hardest break to nail down into a group because everyone does it so differently. 

18 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

But they do feel more similar to 590 in my opinion. From my experience gloves that are 590ish are warrior, Velocity, vapor, and Brian’s Gnetik. 580 is on its own (for now) and gloves that feel most similar to 600 are Optik, Supreme, and Ventus. 600 is by far the hardest break to nail down into a group because everyone does it so differently. 

The regular 2-piece Velocity and the Ventus/SLR line are basically identical outside of the thumb angle, and both more closest to the 600.  The SLR line has a higher thumb which forces the hand farther open, but the break itself is the same as the V9.  The V9 XP is the one that matches the 590.

Edited by AdamL
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

That's interesting as it feels completely like a 75/600 break and is listed as such.

I could use a 60/590 break if I had to, but it's far from my preference and I don't see the Warrior catchers matching that feel.

I had a 590 and my GT2 at the same time and the break angle was wildly different. Not just brand to brand different, but whole hand usage different.

I still say it's all lies and slander.

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

2nd time we have seen this without a source... who is putting this out?

Can't you get a different liner though?

You can. I tried out a G4 glove with all three liner variants. They do slightly change the feel of the gloves, but are only a slight mimic of the real thing.

The glove is still a 75 at the end of day.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AdamL said:

Thank you.

Only one on the list that I question is GNetik? But I will be the first one to admit that Brian's is the hardest to classify. They call them like 35 and 40 deg breaks.

Darling spec is supposed to be a 5500 and based off Sub Zero (now Optik) and not GNetik. My request for a 580 style Glove was also built off an Optik 2 and definitely closed differently and more like a 580.